The Queen of the South thread

So, season over, who is staying and who is going? And who is coming in?

Looking through the squad, it think Young and Lyle will be gone, I'd be surprised if any of the loanees come back, but of love to be wrong with regards to Clark. Wouldn't be surprised if we negotiate a release with Dzierzawski. I fear Durnan might end up away.

I hope Carmichael, Reilly and Paton all sign on again for next year, and another 2 signings in wide/forward areas.

So, season over, who is staying and who is going? And who is coming in?

Looking through the squad, it think Young and Lyle will be gone, I'd be surprised if any of the loanees come back, but of love to be wrong with regards to Clark. Wouldn't be surprised if we negotiate a release with Dzierzawski. I fear Durnan might end up away.

I hope Carmichael, Reilly and Paton all sign on again for next year, and another 2 signings in wide/forward areas.

Reilly is an essential signing in my view. Would love to get Clark again.

Prior to today I`d have been happy enough for Carmichael to go but he really was excellent today- undecided now.

Really like Paton as a player but injured far too often unfortunately.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Fair play boys it's easy to be magnaminous when you win but you were better than us your no 7 was the best player on the park by a country mile

He was which given how poor he has been all season was a real surprise.

Smashing wee player when on form but has been poor this season.

He was which given how poor he has been all season was a real surprise.

Smashing wee player when on form but has been poor this season.

Has also had limited opportunities to play himself back in though.

Limited sub appearances in which he's appeared to have been trying too hard, have not necessarily been to his or Queens' advantage.

Limited sub appearances in which he's appeared to have been trying too hard, have not necessarily been to his or Queens' advantage.

Fair comment but as you suggest he didn`t take advantage of the opportunities he did get.

Suspect he wouldn`t have started today if everyone had been fit albeit he did well as a sub in the 1st leg.

There's some karma for you. Get it right up you.

Wow still bitter after more than a year. I suggest you get out more, maybe concentrate on supporting your own team's glorious achievement of staying up than trying to wind up us supporters of diddy wee teams who comprehensively beat you in a Cup Final.

Anyhoo, as I said on the match thread that was a scunner of a result to wake up to. Am sure the players and management are all pretty shattered too, never mind the tremendous travelling support.

Quite surreal that was yesterday. Night shift weekend so was glued to the live coverage on radio Ecosse. Not often you get live coverage of a Qos game and by the end of it , I have rarely ever felt so frustrated in a lifetime of frustration watching Queens. We seemed to be missing glorious chances going by the commentary. McHugh , Carmichael, Young , Lyle ( at the end ) they kept on coming . Sooner or later you are going to pay dearly for such wastefulness and this we did . Can't help feeling that if Reilly was there that he would have bagged one . Oh well , thats the curtain down on 13-14.

Quite agree with this. Danny was carrying an injury at the start of the season which probably prevented him from establishing himself in McIntyre's plans early on. He didn't do too well in his limited subs appearances but he probably deserved more game time to show what we all know he is capable of. After all the Gaffer has allowed other players the benefit of staying in the team, or at least in the squad, when they have not been performing too well (or to be more precise, 1 central midfield player who was given a contract extension mid-season when he was not playing at his best). I hope that Danny is offered a deal next season.

Very tough to make the play offs next season with Hearts, Rangers and two from Hamilton/Falkirk/Hibs in the league.

I would imagine the likes of Lyle and Young will move on. Decent keeper an absolute priority but we will need to improve the squad significantly to be anywhere near the play-offs in my view.

An interesting summer ahead. Think there could be a mini clear out. As much as I appreciate everything he's done here, it's time to say goodbye to Chris Higgins, don't think he has it for us to kick on. Mitchell I'm undecided about, brilliant offensively but defensively suspect for me. I would love to see Dowie offered a new contract, great player.

In midfield I think we can kiss goodbye to the legend that is Derek Young. Such a shame but a year to far at this level. The yank I think will go, even if he's on a two year deal. Wee dan looks off, heard Hartlepool are sniffing about him. I'm yet to be convinced on mcshane, he's done alright to be fair. Paton I'm undecided on either, such a luxury player, when on song he's quality but don't think we see it enough. Again I'd love to see Kerr sign up, total class act, great eye for a pass and coaches the likes of mcshane through games.

Upfront I think is where we'll see most change. Hoping Reilly signs but surely it'd have been done by now, by far our best striker surely club can push the boat out. Lyle I think is another one thanks for your services but if we want to kick on, we need better. Mchugh obviously away. I'd like to see russell used more uptops.

Signing wise, I've heard numerous times that if Clark isn't number 1 he wants back here next season. Heard his dad said yesterday 'if Zander has any sense he'll be back here, next year'. Is cardle available? Have heard rumours of Todd that's on loan at Annan, and also heard Lee Miller one. Would like to see us look at big Wedderburn from Cowdenbeath, been impressed everytime against them. Kevin Cawley and Ben Gordon as well from Alloa as well. Would like to see us try pick some talent up from around lower leagues and some good youngsters. Kind of down the same route as Partick, it benefited them big time.

Agree totally with your 1st paragraph qos1990. Dowie was slagged early in the season for being picked as the manager's pet but he is a class defender. Yes he makes mistakes but don't they all. People rightly go on about Mitchell's deliveries, dead-ball kicks, etc, which is fair enough, but defensively he is a weak link.

I know I may be in the minority but I can't see why people rate Kerr so highly. Yes he can pick out good passes and has experience but often wants too much time on the ball and gets caught in possession. I don't think he and McShane make a great midfield pairing, we need at least one player like McKenna in there to win the ball and these two don't do it for me. McShane does a lot of running without question but the game passes him by at times.

Contrary to popular opinion perhaps, I don't think Derek Young should be written off so quickly as a squad player. He showed when he came on yesterday that he can still pick out passes, create chances and had a couple of half efforts at goal. Whether he would be happy with the travelling and limited appearances is another matter.

If Zander is away back to St. Johnstone I wouldn't be too disappointed with Atkinson as 1st choice, he did all right when he stepped in during the season. Some of your other suggestions to come in are worth considering, but Cardle? Would we bring him in to teach Russell how to dive or someone to moan at the ref rather than get on with the game and throw a strop with his teammates, that's all I've seen him do in our meetings with Raith.

The Manager has more time to bring in new players for what will be a testing season ahead and he will also have the benefit of taking on a full pre-season preparation, unlike last pre-season, so if things don't work out well he can have no excuses. The Chairman stated that we will not overstretch our budget and that will definitely influence what players we can attract.

I would keep Mitchell as decent fullbacks are pretty hard to come by, Higgins at least gives some sort of cover if Holt gets injured and is still a good centre half for this level and can come in and play to a similar standard to Dowie. An overhaul of a good defence could cause more harm than good IMO.

In midfield, I'd like to see if we can get an upgrade for Paton seeing as he is made of twigs with someone more mobile , I'd like to see what Kevin Dzierzawski is like with a proper pre season and loan him out if he's seen as surplus. Derek Young is probably finished which is a shame as he has attained near cult hero status from such a short spell which many were very sceptical that it would be a success so we probably need to bring someone else in as back up especially as McKenna might not be fit at the start of the season

Goalkeeper is a pretty obvious area that needs improving, Atkinson is not a Championship calibre goalkeeper yet. I'd definitely bring Clark back if we can as he isn't going to start for St Johnstone next season, not really sure who is out there but they surely cant be any worse than Antell.

Up front, I'd rather we didn't sign some massive lump to hoof balls to all season, but an upgrade to Lyle is a necessity, someone with a bit of class would be the difference in the games against the big teams but that's easier said than done.

Agree totally with your 1st paragraph qos1990. Dowie was slagged early in the season for being picked as the manager's pet but he is a class defender. Yes he makes mistakes but don't they all. People rightly go on about Mitchell's deliveries, dead-ball kicks, etc, which is fair enough, but defensively he is a weak link.

I know I may be in the minority but I can't see why people rate Kerr so highly. Yes he can pick out good passes and has experience but often wants too much time on the ball and gets caught in possession. I don't think he and McShane make a great midfield pairing, we need at least one player like McKenna in there to win the ball and these two don't do it for me. McShane does a lot of running without question but the game passes him by at times.

Contrary to popular opinion perhaps, I don't think Derek Young should be written off so quickly as a squad player. He showed when he came on yesterday that he can still pick out passes, create chances and had a couple of half efforts at goal. Whether he would be happy with the travelling and limited appearances is another matter.

If Zander is away back to St. Johnstone I wouldn't be too disappointed with Atkinson as 1st choice, he did all right when he stepped in during the season. Some of your other suggestions to come in are worth considering, but Cardle? Would we bring him in to teach Russell how to dive or someone to moan at the ref rather than get on with the game and throw a strop with his teammates, that's all I've seen him do in our meetings with Raith.

The Manager has more time to bring in new players for what will be a testing season ahead and he will also have the benefit of taking on a full pre-season preparation, unlike last pre-season, so if things don't work out well he can have no excuses. The Chairman stated that we will not overstretch our budget and that will definitely influence what players we can attract.

Atkinson has a bright future ahead of him, but I wouldnt want him as first choice next season. Did Cardle not play under McIntyre at Dunfermline? Might be a player he can get more out of than other managers.

I would keep Mitchell as decent fullbacks are pretty hard to come by, Higgins at least gives some sort of cover if Holt gets injured and is still a good centre half for this level and can come in and play to a similar standard to Dowie. An overhaul of a good defence could cause more harm than good IMO.

In midfield, I'd like to see if we can get an upgrade for Paton seeing as he is made of twigs with someone more mobile , I'd like to see what Kevin Dzierzawski is like with a proper pre season and loan him out if he's seen as surplus. Derek Young is probably finished which is a shame as he has attained near cult hero status from such a short spell which many were very sceptical that it would be a success so we probably need to bring someone else in as back up especially as McKenna might not be fit at the start of the season

Goalkeeper is a pretty obvious area that needs improving, Atkinson is not a Championship calibre goalkeeper yet. I'd definitely bring Clark back if we can as he isn't going to start for St Johnstone next season, not really sure who is out there but they surely cant be any worse than Antell.

Up front, I'd rather we didn't sign some massive lump to hoof balls to all season, but an upgrade to Lyle is a necessity, someone with a bit of class would be the difference in the games against the big teams but that's easier said than done.

As you say, easier said than done. Had we had Rory Loy up front this season, for example, we may well have won the league. Signing Reilly is a must for me and we either play Russell up front or bring in another striker, ideally someone with a bit of pace.

Lee Robinson would be a great signing for us. Out of contract I would sooner have a quality signed player than a quality loan player in Clark. Reckon Nicky Clark might be available for loan if Sevco sign Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller so thats an option. Joe Cardle is still a good player and will probably be targeted. We predominantly need another winger and striker so if we could sign 2 of them we will be looking a lot healthier. If Carmichael leaves then 2 wingers will be required

Dont see there being any major surgery to our squad in the summer. For me the only 2 guaranteed to be released are Derek Young and Calum Antell. Also Lewis Kidd and Bob McHugh will be returning to their parent clubs. There is the possibility that the remaining out of contract players might all be offered deals but will be interesting to see if everyone is willing to accept. Holt and Durnan are likely to be targeted by other clubs as they both have big futures in the game. Although McHugh has scored a few goals of late I wouldn't want him back as he is too immobile.

Lee Robinson would be a great signing for us. Out of contract...

He will not be signing for QoS. He already had a club set up for next season. Out of respect I will not be saying anything further.