The Queen of the South thread

Guest TOPFITTER

We're ten points off "challenging" for the league. "A few" is less than 10

As each point off an opposing team is in fact a turnaround of +1 - +3 to us and -2 - -3 to them, then potentially 3 wins instead of defeats against the current top 3 would have seen each of them 3 points worse off and us 9 points (A Few) better off and I would suggest challenging. Not an unbelieavably outlandish task given our squad the way they are competing now, if only they were competing like that in the 1st third of the season.

As each point off an opposing team is in fact a turnaround of +1 - +3 to us and -2 - -3 to them, then potentially 3 wins instead of defeats against the current top 3 would have seen each of them 3 points worse off and us 9 points (A Few) better off and I would suggest challenging. Not an unbelieavably outlandish task given our squad the way they are competing now, if only they were competing like that in the 1st third of the season.

In general, thats a fair point. Points taken off teams above us would mean more. However, its the highlighted part that is the issue. In the first third of the season, we beat Dundee, lost to Hamilton and Falkirk. That record is no different to the rest of the season when we, apparently, were "competing". Irrespective of our form against the other teams, we have struggled to pick up points from the top three throughout the season.

In the first quarter we dropped 9 points to teams, other than the current top 3. To have us, even close to, challenging for the league, if we take our record against the top 3 out of the equation, we would have had to win every game in the first quarter against those teams. Its totally unrealistic, which was my original point.

Im not saying we couldnt have started better or that our record against the top 3 is ok, just that over the course of the season we are where we are for a reason. We're quite clearly the fourth best side in the league.

In general, thats a fair point. Points taken off teams above us would mean more. However, its the highlighted part that is the issue. In the first third of the season, we beat Dundee, lost to Hamilton and Falkirk. That record is no different to the rest of the season when we, apparently, were "competing". Irrespective of our form against the other teams, we have struggled to pick up points from the top three throughout the season.

In the first quarter we dropped 9 points to teams, other than the current top 3. To have us, even close to, challenging for the league, if we take our record against the top 3 out of the equation, we would have had to win every game in the first quarter against those teams. Its totally unrealistic, which was my original point.

Im not saying we couldnt have started better or that our record against the top 3 is ok, just that over the course of the season we are where we are for a reason. We're quite clearly the fourth best side in the league.

Yep I'd have to agree with you there!

Couple of Question regarding the junior blues, Are the members not getting the newsletter this season? Are there many junior blues as it seems to be the same ones that represent them?

YAWN, who CARES about the JUNIOR Blues? Let's just talk about the team and get behind MCINTYRE.

Right, I'm going to boldly make the assumption that we're already into the play-offs. I think even we'd struggle to lose a twelve goal advantage over someone in an afternoon.

We've made it. Well done McIntyre - there, I've said it.

More importantly though, how do we all now view the play-offs themselves?

We could still face any of the three sides above us in the first round. Falkirk still look like our likeliest opponents, but it might well be Hamilton and could still be Dundee.

Who would be your preference and why?

I actually feel unusually optimistic about our chances.

Obviously winning through ultimately is a pretty long shot for us. We'd need to beat three sides over two legs and in each tie, we'd start as distinct second favourites. Throw in the fact that we'd be away for the second leg every time and the odds do seem stacked against.

However, I don't think the sides above us are that much stronger than us. I also think we're probably due some results against them, having lost out unluckily more than once.

Anyway, thoughts?

Right, I'm going to boldly make the assumption that we're already into the play-offs. I think even we'd struggle to lose a twelve goal advantage over someone in an afternoon.

We could still face any of the three sides above us in the first round. Falkirk still look like our likeliest opponents, but it might well be Hamilton and could still be Dundee.

Obviously winning through ultimately is a pretty long shot for us. We'd need to beat three sides over two legs and in each tie, we'd start as distinct second favourites. Throw in the fact that we'd be away for the second leg every time and the odds do seem stacked against.

However, I don't think the sides above us are that much stronger than us. I also think we're probably due some results against them, having lost out unluckily more than once.

Anyway, thoughts?

Before yesterday I would probably have said Falkirk, but after Hamiltons disaster I quite fancy our chances against them. Id rather Dundee won the league, I think. A full Dens would be a difficult place to go

Anyway, thoughts?

I have just woken up from a very strange dream . So bizarre it was that Monkey Tennis actually said well done McIntyre . Promise I was sober as well.

Table doesn't lie.

We are well behind top 3 and although games have been close between us and them throughout the season, the double leg nature of this knock-out football doesn't favour us; nor does the biased set up against the 3rd and 4th Championship teams.

Thank goodness for these imperfect play-offs in this division. We have been crying out for them for years. Better than nothing, with only Livi having nothing to play for yesterday and the SPL's bottom in a meltdown of vindaloo proportions. Exciting times!

Don't think any of the potential SPL sides should scare any of us from the Championship.

TBH I don't care if we don't go up, as next season's championship is going to be a belter, if Rangers 2 don't have a sequel - Rangers 3 and get punted back down to the bottom league.

Hope Hibs and Pars come and join us.

TBH I don't care if we don't go up, as next season's championship is going to be a belter, if Rangers 2 don't have a sequel - Rangers 3 and get punted back down to the bottom league.

Hope Hibs and Pars come and join us.

Our priority must be to try and get out of this division at the earliest opportunity.

Agreed we are in a win - win situation financially at least if we are still in the Championship next season with the clubs that look to be coming into it, but how will it affect our chances of promotion or making the top half play-offs next season.? We could be financially well off but struggling mid - to - bottom end of the table, especially as is expected that these so called bigger teams will strengthen their squads if they are struggling, even if they don't have the cash to do it. Being in the play-offs this season, which is now pretty much guaranteed, is probably our best chance of making it into the top division 'cos it will be a damn sight harder probably for the next couple of seasons at least.

Our priority must be to try and get out of this division at the earliest opportunity.

Agreed we are in a win - win situation financially at least if we are still in the Championship next season with the clubs that look to be coming into it, but how will it affect our chances of promotion or making the top half play-offs next season.? We could be financially well off but struggling mid - to - bottom end of the table, especially as is expected that these so called bigger teams will strengthen their squads if they are struggling, even if they don't have the cash to do it. Being in the play-offs this season, which is now pretty much guaranteed, is probably our best chance of making it into the top division 'cos it will be a damn sight harder probably for the next couple of seasons at least.

I totally agree. The let's stay where we are folk really need to give themselves a shake. Have some fucking ambition for f**k sake.

I totally agree. The let's stay where we are folk really need to give themselves a shake. Have some fucking ambition for f**k sake.

I echo that sentiment.

It's not as if the opportunity comes round regularly!