The Queen of the South thread

Last night it was back to the McIntyre poor management as far as I was concerned again. His loyalty to some players is to the detriment of the team. Last night I witnessed one of the most inept midfield performances I've seen in a while and it came from Kerr, who to be fair has been consistently good since he came. McIntyre makes his first substitution and he takes off McShane who was having a good game and to make matters worse Kerr got the full 90 mins!

I'm not sure if Kerr actually made a pass to one of his own players all night.

Not being funny, but thats one decision. How many times last season did you disagree with one of Johnstons substitutions? We didnt lose that game because Kerr stayed on and McShane went off.

Kerr was nowhere near that bad, either. McShane quite often fades in the second half

Last night it was back to the McIntyre poor management as far as I was concerned again. His loyalty to some players is to the detriment of the team. Last night I witnessed one of the most inept midfield performances I've seen in a while and it came from Kerr, who to be fair has been consistently good since he came. McIntyre makes his first substitution and he takes off McShane who was having a good game and to make matters worse Kerr got the full 90 mins!

Mcshane is playing well but 3 games in 7 days is too much for him while carrying an injury Mcintyre gets the best out of him before replacing him.

The team and manager gave there all last night the same performance and passing style on Saturday should see us bounce back with three points and relegate Morton.

felt the midfield played well in the first half but faded out of it in the second. kerr has been a good addition to our squad he will be helping the younger lads and last night he wasn't even that bad. our worst player last night was probably Michael paton . was terrible out on the left. him and Higgins on that side of the park needs to be changed on saturday

I think you're on to something Qos1996 but it might be too radical to implement.

A left-back at left-back, and a left winger on the left wing. Surely worth a go?

Whats Paton then? He played the majority of last season on the left wing. Other than him, we dont actually have a left winger in the squad.

Whats Paton then? He played the majority of last season on the left wing. Other than him, we dont actually have a left winger in the squad.

That was a bit irresponsible of the manager was it not considering we have about 15 central midfielders?

That was a bit irresponsible of the manager was it not considering we have about 15 central midfielders?

Well there are others that can play there - I meant a natural left winger - so I wouldnt say it was a major concern. Would it be nice to have a genuine left winger in the squad? Sure.

Kerr was pretty poor last night, and that's being a bit kind to him. He gave away possession on numerous occasions, when he did pass to one of his teammates he often chose one who was marked by a couple of opponents rather than the simple pass to one who was free. He undoubtedly has ability but failed to show much last night. McIntyre's decision to substitute McShane may have been prompted by the fact that he took a hefty knock earlier and was limping a bit. Paton was unlucky to be hooked last night but he doesn't help himself by being over elaborate instead of more direct when he has a chance of getting a cross in or a shot at goal. What is the score with McKenna? He was supposed to be out for the rest of the season but was named as a sub.

McShane faded away in the second half and for a while him and Paton were non-existent. I was surprised to see Kerr play the full 90 though mainly because he was poor as well as concerns about his fitness. I guess you have to give credit to Dundee for putting pressure on the midfield. In our games this year we haven't been outclassed by anyone but we always come up just short

We are just too slow and don't have the speed to be a constant threat like Dundee, Hamilton and Falkirk are at times, our finishing leaves a lot to be desired which we can get away against the likes of Alloa, Cowden and Morton but not against the better teams. Which In my opinion makes McHugh a poor signing as he is too similar to Lyle, isn't very fast and his finishing has been dreadful most of the time.

Napoleon is still always right.

After persevering with a few different ones earlier in the season, McIntyre seems to have stuck with a system closely resembling last season's. With a few adjustments, because it's only natural to do this apparently.

I'm not sure if this indicates a change in his favoured system, or just an acceptance that it is the most suitable for the squad he inherited.

If it's the latter, which I suspect it will be, we could be in for a busy and interesting* Summer as he builds his own squad.

*By interesting I mean terrifying.

McShane faded away in the second half and for a while him and Paton were non-existent. I was surprised to see Kerr play the full 90 though mainly because he was poor as well as concerns about his fitness. I guess you have to give credit to Dundee for putting pressure on the midfield. In our games this year we haven't been outclassed by anyone but we always come up just short

We are just too slow and don't have the speed to be a constant threat like Dundee, Hamilton and Falkirk are at times, our finishing leaves a lot to be desired which we can get away against the likes of Alloa, Cowden and Morton but not against the better teams. Which In my opinion makes McHugh a poor signing as he is too similar to Lyle, isn't very fast and his finishing has been dreadful most of the time.

For me, McHugh is bang average. By that, I mean he doesnt really seem to have any particular strengths or weaknesses. Hes ok at holding the ball up. Hes ok at linking up with others. His workrate is ok. His finishing is ok, bordering on poor. There doesnt seem to be one particular quality that you can put your finger on and say "thats what he brings to the team"

After persevering with a few different ones earlier in the season, McIntyre seems to have stuck with a system closely resembling last season's. With a few adjustments, because it's only natural to do this apparently.

I'm not sure if this indicates a change in his favoured system, or just an acceptance that it is the most suitable for the squad he inherited.

If it's the latter, which I suspect it will be, we could be in for a busy and interesting* Summer as he builds his own squad.

*By interesting I mean terrifying.

McIntyre has played several different systems all throughout the season.

Six of the first team are already signed up for next season and hopefully a few more will follow, so there will be no whole scale rebuilding. Cant imagine what you have to be terrified of, unless youre worried you'll have nothing to complain about next season ;)

For me, McHugh is bang average. By that, I mean he doesnt really seem to have any particular strengths or weaknesses. Hes ok at holding the ball up. Hes ok at linking up with others. His workrate is ok. His finishing is ok, bordering on poor. There doesnt seem to be one particular quality that you can put your finger on and say "thats what he brings to the team"

McIntyre has played several different systems all throughout the season.

Six of the first team are already signed up for next season and hopefully a few more will follow, so there will be no whole scale rebuilding. Cant imagine what you have to be terrified of, unless youre worried you'll have nothing to complain about next season ;)

Six signed, leaving at least another ten to follow.

It's a terrifying thought when your manager's endeavours in the transfer market are more miss than hit.

Six signed, leaving at least another ten to follow.

It's a terrifying thought when your manager's endeavours in the transfer market are more miss than hit.

Well, its 8 altogether, 9 if you count Slattery, so more likely another eight signings minus anyone else from the current squad who re-signs.

Cant disagree about the signings though, really. McIntyre has brought in

Antell - miss

Dowie - hit

Dzierzawski - miss (although may play a bigger part next season)

Kerr - hit

McShane - hit

Clark - hit

Kidd - ??

McHugh - miss

Actually, thats a bit closer than I thought.

I'd like to see Mitchell and at least one of Higgins or Dowie re-sign, plus Paton and Reilly. If Kerr does enough between now and the end of the season I would give him another year too. That would give us the same defence, most of the midfield and only leave a keeper and a striker to sign for the first team

Edited by Mr X

Just out of curiosity what happened to Kevin Dzierzawski? I thought he looked pretty tidy whenever I saw him, if maybe a bit lightweight. He didn't even make the bench on Tuesday but an apparently injured for the rest of the season Stephen McKenna did.

Just out of curiosity what happened to Kevin Dzierzawski? I thought he looked pretty tidy whenever I saw him, if maybe a bit lightweight. He didn't even make the bench on Tuesday but an apparently injured for the rest of the season Stephen McKenna did.

Certainly looked a better player at the start of the season than McShane did, just let down by some defensive frailties (lightweight and perhaps not tracking back as much as needed). But whilst McShane was given game time to improve (and he did), Dzierzawski was dropped rather harshly (considering McShane's early season performances) and has hardly featured since.

Find it a bit unfair that McIntyre didn't give him the time to allow him to fully adapt to the Scottish game. Looked as if he had bags of potential and could've been a creative midfielder in a solid but unimaginative team.

Certainly looked a better player at the start of the season than McShane did, just let down by some defensive frailties (lightweight and perhaps not tracking back as much as needed). But whilst McShane was given game time to improve (and he did), Dzierzawski was dropped rather harshly (considering McShane's early season performances) and has hardly featured since.

Find it a bit unfair that McIntyre didn't give him the time to allow him to fully adapt to the Scottish game. Looked as if he had bags of potential and could've been a creative midfielder in a solid but unimaginative team.

Yip, that's about the size of it.

I didn't see the pre-season Hearts game when everyone was raving about his passing, but I was glad on the back of what others were saying that he and the club then jumped through the necessary hoops for him to sign. I was a bit disappointed by how he then played, but he was alright.

I suppose it can be argued that our form has improved so much since the spell during which he was playing that his axing is justified, but I'm still surprised by quite how far out of the picture he now appears to be.

As you say, we do lack creativity and he might have had the potential to provide some.