The Queen of the South thread

Good battling display today without a lot of quality on show. Durnan, Dowie and Burns were our best three IMO with the two cb's not giving a sniff to Kirk and Co. Surprised to see Holt dropped to the bench and a bit dissapointed as Higgins is not a left back although coped fine today.

Edited by Broony88

Holty maybe needed a we break still a young lad and today was prob the best time to give him that as Alloa play is normally quite defensive so we wouldn't need Holts pace plus he must be close to suspension.

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

Holty maybe needed a we break still a young lad and today was prob the best time to give him that as Alloa play is normally quite defensive so we wouldn't need Holts pace plus he must be close to suspension.

Well if he is due a suspension get it served and let's not wait 4 weeks and miss him for a crucial game further down the line. Thought Higgins did well but he always has that tendency to tuck himself in and near the end Alloa got two unchallenged crosses in due to this.

If we'd started the season like we're playing now, we'd be top! :rolleyes::P

I've never understood the thinking of Managers, players, etc, when they come out with the cliche "We're now at the most important time of the season and results are crucial", or some derivative of this, when we get to the final quarter as if all the bad decisions, mistakes and defeats from earlier in the season have no bearing on our final position. You get the same number of points for a win no matter what stage of the season it is.

To quote JRSLEFYPEG from the mad site.

"Can't see us slipping up here . Cowdenbeath were really unfortunate not to beat us last time here but we were struggling and this will be a different game .If it wasn't for the unlucky 10 man defeat against Dundee and daylight robbery versus Falkirk then our record over four months or so would be outstanding . We haven't leathered anyone this season and it could be a difficult afternoon for the Fifers . We should win and continue our fine form . The catalyst of our improving form has been getting Zander Clark in goal on loan . He has been outstanding and a real rock at the back ably assisted by our back four . It would be marvellous to get him in permanent but don't think this will happen .. I can see his game time at Palmerston being the springboard for him to be a SPL regular like Robbie Neilson and Jaime McDonald before .These two also really benefited from their spells here . Queens seem to have got better as the season goes on and still stick by my prediction that we will be at home first leg to Falkirk in the play offs on May 6 or 7th"

I would agree with this and dd that this timing coincides with changing to a 4-4-2 formation with Reilly getting more game time has also helped transform our results and performances. Why it took McIntyre so long to realise certain things is beyond me. I just hope our slow start doesn't cost us at the end of the season. Just think where we could be.

Edited to say, Jim did well when he stood in for Zander while he was injured.

Edited by Hawk

I predicted we would finish fourth too, but there is still a bit go and I don't think we can start counting our chickens just yet. We need to shake off Dumbarton and Livi.

Personally I think catching Falkirk is a definite possibility for both Queens and Dumbarton, they seem to be struggling at the moment. But the battle for 4th could be pretty interesting especially as we still have to play Livi and Dumbarton late on in the season.

Personally I think catching Falkirk is a definite possibility for both Queens and Dumbarton, they seem to be struggling at the moment. But the battle for 4th could be pretty interesting especially as we still have to play Livi and Dumbarton late on in the season.

There isnt any real advantage to finishing 3rd though. You still have the extra two games to play, as opposed to 2nd, but get the second leg of the first tie at home.

There isnt any real advantage to finishing 3rd though. You still have the extra two games to play, as opposed to 2nd, but get the second leg of the first tie at home.

I was thinking that too. Mind you the prize money will be greater and at the end of the day you still want to finish as high as possible in the league.

It's more for the first leg and hopefully getting an away goal is the only slight advantage there but it's still something to play for as well as trying to get a ever highest league finish in modern times to I think.

This exactly . Third is no advantage to me over fourth . Yes , you get your home leg second but that doesn't always work out to your advantage . Look at the way Alloa dismantled Dunfermilne last season and then comfortably seen out the away second leg. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

There is a significant financial advantage in getting 3rd over 4th in prize money terms. It's also likely, unless the tie is dead and buried after the first leg, that the weekend gate will be better than a midweek one, particularly in terms of travelling fans.
Didn't know about the prize money difference and good point about the second leg attendance . Still don't think there is an on pitch advantage though .