The Queen of the South thread

Ok , the answer is Alex Forsyth . Alex played right back in the 1976 FA Cup final for Man Utd. United got beat 1-0 by Southampton in this final. He had a spell with us in our promotion winning season of 1985-86 . Infact , if I remember correctly, he was wearing a sheep skin coat in the clubs photograph of the promotion winning celebrations in the Arbroath dressing room.

Here he is JRSLEFTPEG >>>>>>

Great question by the way

egtu7c.jpg

Skyline - Are we saying that the Pointless contestant was definitely Osnowski and have you looked at page 151 of the 75 year book and the photo of McCann to see - in my opinion- his likeness to the contestant ?

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Skyline - Are we saying that the Pointless contestant was definitely Osnowski and have you looked at page 151 of the 75 year book and the photo of McCann to see - in my opinion- his likeness to the contestant ?

"We" aren't saying anything about it. As I said, I didn't see the programme and wouldn't know either McCann or Osnowski if I was sat next to them. Nor have I yet gone and looked at a picture in the 75 year book. All I'm doing is passing on that others such as Davie Carroll have said on Facebook that it was definitely Osnowski, somebody on there said he lives next to their In Laws and it was him and a couple of the posters on here who remember him said it was him. I don't think I'd even heard of Osnowski before last week! I was at least aware of the existence of McCann and indeed would have seen him play a handful of times without being conscious of it.

Also the fact that he apparently when reminiscing about his career said only that he had played for Queen of the South in the 70's and didn't mention scoring a Scottish Cup Final goal for Airdrie is very strong evidence that it wasn't McCann. As is the fact McCann's name was definitely "Kevin" not "Kevan" as the guy on Pointless had it, though that could conceivably have been an error by the programme team that he was too polite to point out I suppose.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Not sure if this'll help or not >>>>>

16kotp0.jpg

Not sure if this'll help or not >>>>>

16kotp0.jpg

Thanks for putting that on for me pal as you are far more computer literate than me . I think they are similar , BUT as I say , it could well be Osnowski as some are mentioning family ties to him. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Great question.

It is a beauty of a question. I'd tried trawling through losing FA Cup finalists in my head from the seventies to about when they moved to Cardiff and could turn up nothing. I was assuming it must pre-date this era. I've got to say I don't remember this bloke at all in either context.

On a related point, I know there are a few posters on here of around my age. Is it just me, or is your recall of TV football much sharper from when you were a kid, than more recently? I'd be able to rhyme off results and scorers in FA Cups, Scottish finals and World Cup games for the 70s and 80s in a way I couldn't begin to for the last decade or so, where it all just merges a bit.

I used to think it had just got less intrinsically interesting, but I suppose I should recognise it as an age thing too.

It is a beauty of a question. I'd tried trawling through losing FA Cup finalists in my head from the seventies to about when they moved to Cardiff and could turn up nothing. I was assuming it must pre-date this era. I've got to say I don't remember this bloke at all in either context.

On a related point, I know there are a few posters on here of around my age. Is it just me, or is your recall of TV football much sharper from when you were a kid, than more recently? I'd be able to rhyme off results and scorers in FA Cups, Scottish finals and World Cup games for the 70s and 80s in a way I couldn't begin to for the last decade or so, where it all just merges a bit.

I used to think it had just got less intrinsically interesting, but I suppose I should recognise it as an age thing too.

I remember Alex Forsyth playing with Manchester United, mainly because he's in my Football 78 sticker book! But as I said, absolutely no memory of him playing with us, and I was even watching that season, albeit it was my first and I was only at home games.

As for you other point, yes I'm the same, I could tell you all about Ipswich beating Arsenal in 78, Arsenal beating Manchester United in 79, West Ham sneaking past Arsenal in 80 but I've no idea who was in any particular final in the last 15 - 20 years. I think that's for two reasons. Firstly when you were a kid the FA Cup final was the focus of your attention and about the only game live on telly. You also had no other responsibilities or much else to concentrate on. These days I rarely even see the Cup Final (I have no idea when I last watched one, the really dull one in Wales that Owen snatched for Liverpool with two goals in the last minute or two maybe) and there are lots of other games on tv.

I remember Alex Forsyth playing with Manchester United, mainly because he's in my Football 78 sticker book! But as I said, absolutely no memory of him playing with us, and I was even watching that season, albeit it was my first and I was only at home games.

As for you other point, yes I'm the same, I could tell you all about Ipswich beating Arsenal in 78, Arsenal beating Manchester United in 79, West Ham sneaking past Arsenal in 80 but I've no idea who was in any particular final in the last 15 - 20 years. I think that's for two reasons. Firstly when you were a kid the FA Cup final was the focus of your attention and about the only game live on telly. You also had no other responsibilities or much else to concentrate on. These days I rarely even see the Cup Final (I have no idea when I last watched one, the really dull one in Wales that Owen snatched for Liverpool with two goals in the last minute or two maybe) and there are lots of other games on tv.

Yes, I think the novelty factor of live football, which basically meant Cup finals back then, plays a huge part in the phenomenon.

It's funny that you recall FA Cups rather than Scottish ones too. That's possibly a reflection of growing up in Dumfries. We definitely got a lot more English football on TV. I don't think we got BBC Scotland, alongside BBC North East, until about 1980. Then we got a choice of Cup Finals when, as usual, they fell on the same day. Border also gave us The Big Match on LWT on a Sunday, rather than Scotsport.

Ah, Roger Osborne in 1978. Scored, got mobbed by teammates and had to go off, all after John Wark had twice hit the post.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

BORING! Who really cares about kevin or tv?

I for one would rather learn more about the goings on at the new Palmerston arena and the present Queen of the South fc.

What kind of new main stand have the present board ( a very pro active board I may say) got in mind?

Heard rumours of a bar going upstairs in the new arena too???

Ps the BOARD of Directors must be well congratulated on the work at Palmerston up to now, ????

I for one would rather speculate about things that probably won't happen than read a discussion about an ex player appearing on a quality TV show. FWIW, I would have won the last round 8) as well as some of the other . Kevan was carrying his partner to the final though.

Only butting in cause it's a a very boring subject, we could text about a lot of ex players that have featured on tv!

I would much rather text/ talk about our current set up at Palmerston.

Come on please tell me we are going to build a brand new main stand etc

Only butting in cause it's a a very boring subject, we could text about a lot of ex players that have featured on tv!

Ssh.. The men are talking. ;)

What a cheeky young scamp. Believe me , you will find it fascinating discussing the merits of the central midfield of Simmons/ McLaughlin in twenty years time when you are our age.

What a cheeky young scamp. Believe me , you will find it fascinating discussing the merits of the central midfield of S*****s/ Mc*****n in twenty years time when you are our age.

Edited it for you Jr using that shocking language so soon.

Edited by Broony88

I totall agree Supersouth. I am a distant supporter but have no interest in talking about players of the past and nor the quiz games they play on this column. It should be kept for updates on current affairs. If anyone wants to play games, then they should start a new thread. End of rant.

I totall agree Supersouth. I am a distant supporter but have no interest in talking about players of the past and nor the quiz games they play on this column. It should be kept for update on current affairs. If anyone wants to play games, then they should start a new thread. End of rant.

The beauty of the big Qos thread is that it encompasses everything from modern to retro and its about any Queens related theme you want . Nobody is stopping Supersouth bringing up the subject of the Arena or the team. Older contributors are more likely to want to iron out the finer points and reminisce about the past just as the younger ones will in time to come . There is room for all sorts of topics , discussions , interests and ages on here and thats why its so good . Remember there is a forthcoming match thread to visit that boring people don't talk about seventies players Edited by JRS LEFT PEG