The Queen of the South thread

As I've said before, I think Jim McIntyre has the month of November to save his job. If he doesn't turn things around in the next 3 or 4 games then the Board has to make a change. 13 or 14 league games (plus all of our cup games) is a fair crack of the whip for anyone I would say and it just hasn't worked for him so far. The team has looked ok in patches, but is just not getting results and our goalkeeping situation is just horrendous and Jim has to carry the can for that I'm afraid.

I'm sure it will be costly to make the change, but not as costly as relegation and the prospect of another season in the 3rd tier.

Sorry Jim, I'm sure you're a decent guy but my thoughts are already turning to your replacement.

Making the change in November gives any new manager a month or so to look at his squad and decide what he needs to bring in during the January transfer window (like an experienced keeper for example!!)

Possible contenders, off the top of my head, Ian Murray (Dumbarton) Paul Hartley (Alloa) David Weir, Barry Smith, Neil Warnock (read an article on him recently and he's been keen to manage in Scotland for a long time) Jimmy Calderwood, Kenny Shiels............etc, etc.

Sorry but Ian Murray will be looking higher than Queens, same for Hartley.

We thought Allan Johnston would look higher than Kilmarnock!

You dont ask, you dont get

Hardly the same. Johnston was moving from the top of the 2nd division into the top flight. Murray or Hartley would be joining a club below them in the same league.

There's not a chance that either would see Queens as the next step in their careers.

Finally got round to reading the Cowdenbeath programme and found Kevin Holts admission about the training regime very interesting . Our lads train for a whole two hours , four days a week. Is this the norm for a FT team ? I thought FT meant that you were professionals and that this is you and your familys main income ie very important to you. Given that we are conceding so many late goals- Gus McPherson anyone- this would suggest we are tiring and losing concentration near the end of games . If anyone thinks this `arduous` training should give us the physical edge over teams like Cowdenbeath, then think again. In fact, the way the Blue Brazil stormed at us in the last five minutes suggests there is no difference and maybe even they are fitter. Some football sides do nothing to stop people saying footballers get things easy.

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Finally got round to reading the Cowdenbeath programme and found Kevin Holts admission about the training regime very interesting . Our lads train for a whole two hours , four days a week. Is this the norm for a FT team ? I thought FT meant that you were professionals and that this is you and your familys main income ie very important to you. Given that we are conceding so many late goals- Gus McPherson anyone- this would suggest we are tiring and losing concentration near the end of games . If anyone thinks this `arduous` training should give us the physical edge over teams like Cowdenbeath, then think again. In fact, the way the Blue Brazil stormed at us in the last five minutes suggests there is no difference and maybe even they are fitter. Some football sides do nothing to stop people saying footballers get things easy.

Queens are not as fit this season you state the reason above.

Another thing of interest in the programme was finding out TEN local boys travel up to Cumbernauld to train . These guys have not got that short a day as they are travelling back and forth for four hours at a time. It is the Central/Strathclyde players that would seem to get it the easiest . Now we have a 3G facility, do we still need to go up the road to train ? I used to be of the opinion that we could not train all the time Dumfries for the risk of putting off some of the better players joining us . This was though mostly in our part time days . Now that we are full time , we should be calling the shots and training in Dumfries . Why should the local lads trawl up the road four days a week ? It should be the other way round about . There are plenty of guys that would love to be FT and would come down here . You never know and we could get people that are very hungry , with plenty desire that would play right to the end of the game. The central belt mafia have had it far too easy. Tell them to forget their golf clubs and afternoons out with their girlfriends and get down here ONTHE TRAINING PITCH and acting like what pro footballers should do. Sort out the wheat from the chaff this way eg the ones that really want to play for you will still be here.

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Another thing of interest in the programme was finding out TEN local boys travel up to Cumbernauld to train . These guys have not got that short a day as they are travelling back and forth for four hours at a time. It is the Central/Strathclyde players that would seem to get it the easiest . Now we have a 3G facility, do we still need to go up the road to train ? I used to be of the opinion that we could not train all the time Dumfries for the risk of putting off some of the better players joining us . This was though mostly in our part time days . Now that we are full time , we should be calling the shots and training in Dumfries . Why should the local lads trawl up the road four days a week ? It should be the other way round about . There are plenty of guys that would love to be FT and would come down here . You never know and we could get people that are very hungry , with plenty desire that would play right to the end of the game. The central belt mafia have had it far too easy. Tell them to forget their golf clubs and afternoons out with their girlfriends and get down here ONTHE TRAINING PITCH and acting like what pro footballers should do.

In the John Connelly era, when we were part time, he had players travelling from NE England and the Central Belt to train in Dumfries after their work and it didn't seem to be a problem. The Manager of course moved into a house locally when he was appointed so was more part of the community. When we went full time under Chisholm and training moved up to the Central Belt it used to be commented on that Jim Thomson and the other locally based players would set off about 8:30 am to go to training and were back in Dumfries about 1:30 pm. It doesn't take a genius to work out the actual time spent at "training". I think the first thing any club should do when appointing a new Manager is to move him into the local area and base the training locally. As a compromise in the meantime we could have 2 days training in the Central Belt and 2 days down in Dumfries, double sessions to make the journey down worthwhile. I don't think we have fully adapted to the new Palmerston surface and more training on it would be beneficial. The Chairman commented pre-season that, with the new surface and indoor facility, he hoped to have the training based here. Why has that not been brought in. The geography of the Club is always cited as a reason for failing to attract some players but we are better placed than Ross County and Inverness CT in that respect and they don't appear to have this problem. I would think they are the type and size of Club we should be trying to emulate. Get as many players based locally as possible so that the Club is truly a part of the Community. I believe that one of our players is still based in Aberdeen and only makes it to one training session a week plus match days although he does have Aberdeen training facilities. Not a good situation for a professional club.

When we were part time we used to pride ourselves on matching or beating the full time sides we played against.

Alloa, Dumbarton, Cowdenbeath are maybe approaching games with the same attitude that we used to have.

In the John Connelly era, when we were part time, he had players travelling from NE England and the Central Belt to train in Dumfries after their work and it didn't seem to be a problem. The Manager of course moved into a house locally when he was appointed so was more part of the community. When we went full time under Chisholm and training moved up to the Central Belt it used to be commented on that Jim Thomson and the other locally based players would set off about 8:30 am to go to training and were back in Dumfries about 1:30 pm. It doesn't take a genius to work out the actual time spent at "training". I think the first thing any club should do when appointing a new Manager is to move him into the local area and base the training locally. As a compromise in the meantime we could have 2 days training in the Central Belt and 2 days down in Dumfries, double sessions to make the journey down worthwhile. I don't think we have fully adapted to the new Palmerston surface and more training on it would be beneficial. The Chairman commented pre-season that, with the new surface and indoor facility, he hoped to have the training based here. Why has that not been brought in. The geography of the Club is always cited as a reason for failing to attract some players but we are better placed than Ross County and Inverness CT in that respect and they don't appear to have this problem. I would think they are the type and size of Club we should be trying to emulate. Get as many players based locally as possible so that the Club is truly a part of the Community. I believe that one of our players is still based in Aberdeen and only makes it to one training session a week plus match days although he does have Aberdeen training facilities. Not a good situation for a professional club.

When we were part time we used to pride ourselves on matching or beating the full time sides we played against.

Alloa, Dumbarton, Cowdenbeath are maybe approaching games with the same attitude that we used to have.

Agree with every word of that mate . Million dollar question - Why do we not train in Dumfries ?

Because the manager is based in the central belt?

But the Club is, or should be, based in Dumfries. Maybe someone with higher connections than me can ask the Chairman why it is not part of the Manager's job description that he is based locally.

I don't care where we train as long as results on the pitch are good. However, you would hope that the management and the players would take some personal responsibility here. Double sessions would be the first thing I would expect them to be volunteering for until things started to pick up.

Train, train and train again until they get it right.

2 hours is about the norm going by what I have read/seen on TV, most of the guys you see talking about it say around 2 hours organised training then maybe stuff on your own.

Can you realistically do more without fatigue?

Me again. I am not saying that all training sessions should be devoted to fitness although that is probably the most important element if you are fading late in games. One of the "benefits" of full time training should be that it gives you more opportunity to work on set pieces, passing, controlling a ball and general tactics, all of which I think this team needs serious work on.

On another point, you often hear of Managers ordering extra training on player's days off after a poor result or performance but I can't remember any Queen's Manager in my time ever taking this stance. Surely there must have been instances where this was merited.

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

2 hours is about the norm going by what I have read/seen on TV, most of the guys you see talking about it say around 2 hours organised training then maybe stuff on your own.

"then maybe stuff on your own"

There should be no maybe about it - unless of course a player has no weaknesses in his game.

No one at Palmerston fits the no weaknesses description.

I'm not sure on this. Certainly, nobody had complaints about the Glasgow based training last season. I'd prefer more of a Dumfries feel to the club at times, but I've kind of accepted it as a necessary evil in attracting players. I also think it's difficult to expect players to uproot when contracts these days are short. There also seems to be a culture in Scotland that players stay put.

Having said all this though, we do now have more local players than has often been the case. We also have a surface which it would be worth getting used to and which enables frequent use. I also agree that the lack of time spent training is a concern, but this again seems culturally ingrained.

I think it might be an idea to do more down here. As noted by others, the Highland sides seem better able to circumvent the problem. Maybe the fact that commuting is not possible to there from the Central Belt, actually works in their favour.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

I would fatigue the b*****ds all right . Double endurance sessions until they can see out a game . If they think two hours a day is adequate , then they have a shock coming when they join the real world in their thirties. If this is 'normal' , no wonder Scottish football is so bad. They do not have to "fatigue" themselves by working and working on their technique,set pieces, defensive formations etc etc.

I'm not sure on this. Certainly, nobody had complaints about the Glasgow based training last season. I'd prefer more of a Dumfries feel to the club at times, but I've kind of accepted it as a necessary evil in attracting players. I also think it's difficult to expect players to uproot when contracts these days are short. There also seems to be a culture in Scotland that players stay put.

Having said all this though, we do now have more local players than has often been the case. We also have a surface which it would be worth getting used to and which enables frequent use. I also agree that the lack of time spent training is a concern, but this again seems culturally ingrained.

I think it might be an idea to do more down here. As noted by others, the Highland sides seem better able to circumvent the problem. Maybe the fact that commuting is not possible to there from the Central Belt, actually works in their favour.

This should not be "culturally ingrained" MT. This is their living and a days working on all sorts of things should be a given. This is not unreasonable and expected in any other job.

:thumsup2 I would fatigue the b*****ds all right . Double endurance sessions until they can see out a game . If they think two hours a day is adequate , then they have a shock coming when they join the real world in their thirties. If this is 'normal' , no wonder Scottish football is so bad. They do not have to "fatigue" themselves by working and working on their technique,set pieces, defensive formations etc etc.

Steady on JRS you sound like a frustrated PT Instructor in the Marines. We don't want to kill them just make them hurt a bit as they become fitter and more comfortable doing the basics. It's really for their own good as well as the good of the Club. :thumsup2

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs