The Queen of the South thread

That's a good point about protecting our young 'keeper with an experienced defence.

Hopefully his confidence will grow playing behind the likes of Dowie,McGuffie and Higgins.

Although not short of confidence, Holt and Durnan are still learning and are stepping up a level.

I'd say the balance of youth and experience is about bang on.

Agree with that. Durnan looked a little raw at times last season and whilst I think he will be a class centre half in years to come I think the experience of dowie and Higgins will prove invaluable especially with a rookie keeper behind them.

Thats the second time in the last few days someone has said what a good player someone might become - first time it was about Antell. I really dont get the relevance. These arent guys who've come through our youth system, or are on long term contracts, who we would then make some money out of. They havent been signed because they'll become good in a few years, theyve been signed because they, should be, good enough now.

I take your point that experience can be good. But extending that logic, wouldnt that mean Mitchell would never get a game ahead of McGuffie, Russell would play instead of Carmichael and Reilly has no chance of ousting Lyle up front? Experience is all well and good, but I would much rather we played the best players.

That's a good point about protecting our young 'keeper with an experienced defence.

Hopefully his confidence will grow playing behind the likes of Dowie,McGuffie and Higgins.

Although not short of confidence, Holt and Durnan are still learning and are stepping up a level.

I'd say the balance of youth and experience is about bang on.

Being slightly naughty here, and not entirely serious, but another way of reading that is "we've signed a keeper who isnt good enough, so we'd better play some experienced defenders".

Thats the second time in the last few days someone has said what a good player someone might become - first time it was about Antell. I really dont get the relevance. These arent guys who've come through our youth system, or are on long term contracts, who we would then make some money out of. They havent been signed because they'll become good in a few years, theyve been signed because they, should be, good enough now.

I take your point that experience can be good. But extending that logic, wouldnt that mean Mitchell would never get a game ahead of McGuffie, Russell would play instead of Carmichael and Reilly has no chance of ousting Lyle up front? Experience is all well and good, but I would much rather we played the best players.

Being slightly naughty here, and not entirely serious, but another way of reading that is "we've signed a keeper who isnt good enough, so we'd better play some experienced defenders".

I've came to the conclusion that if I said to everyone it was raining outside you'd disagree and tell everyone it was sunny.

I'm in noway saying durnan isn't good enough for the 1st team all I'm saying is that he's still learning and still abit raw at times, I have no doubt he will get game time and I wouldn't stress one bit if he did but I can Definately see mcintyre's thinking if he goes for dowie and Higgins and it will be for experience. I don't think we can sit here and compare apples with lemons on the Mitchell McGuffie front as Mitchell will be used in that role for his pace and ability to get up and down with no issue so I think your being abit picky drawing that from my point. If your a football man which I assume you are then youll know where I was coming from with my point.

And we Definately don't know if the keeper isn't good enough but what I will say having played in goals in the past I know what it is like to be a young keeper playing in a new team and trying to command your area. Confidence is a major factor when coming for crosses and I have no doubt that will come in time but its time we may not have. Remember David De Gea in his first season at united?

I've came to the conclusion that if I said to everyone it was raining outside you'd disagree and tell everyone it was sunny.

:lol:

Not at all.

I'm in noway saying durnan isn't good enough for the 1st team all I'm saying is that he's still learning and still abit raw at times, I have no doubt he will get game time and I wouldn't stress one bit if he did but I can Definately see mcintyre's thinking if he goes for dowie and Higgins and it will be for experience. I don't think we can sit here and compare apples with lemons on the Mitchell McGuffie front as Mitchell will be used in that role for his pace and ability to get up and down with no issue so I think your being abit picky drawing that from my point. If your a football man which I assume you are then youll know where I was coming from with my point.

I do know where you're coming from, yes. As I said, though, I would rather the best players played. I also take your point about McGuffie and Mitchell, but again surely you could argue the same for Durnan - he has far more pace than Dowie?

I think actually my main worry about all of this is that its actually Higgins who is dropped, or worse still, played at left back. I wouldnt have a particular problem with a Dowie/Higgins partnership but if either arent playing well I wouldnt want McIntyre to stick with them simply because they are experienced

And we Definately don't know if the keeper isn't good enough but what I will say having played in goals in the past I know what it is like to be a young keeper playing in a new team and trying to command your area. Confidence is a major factor when coming for crosses and I have no doubt that will come in time but its time we may not have. Remember David De Gea in his first season at united?

But De Gea didnt sign for Utd on a one year contract. What youre effectively saying is we put up with his faults now so that he'll get better later, when he'll most likely be playing for someone else.

As I said, I wasnt being entirely serious with that, I also didnt say that Antell definitely isnt good enough. He may well turn out to be - I certainly hope so. My points were just that signing him because he'll be good in the future is pointless and signing a keeper that means you "have" to drop one of your centre halves just doesnt seem right.

I dont think so. I know we filmed the Hearts game but not Annan and I dont think he was there last night

Shocking. I shall be having words next time I speak to him :)

:lol:

Not at all.

I do know where you're coming from, yes. As I said, though, I would rather the best players played. I also take your point about McGuffie and Mitchell, but again surely you could argue the same for Durnan - he has far more pace than Dowie?

I think actually my main worry about all of this is that its actually Higgins who is dropped, or worse still, played at left back. I wouldnt have a particular problem with a Dowie/Higgins partnership but if either arent playing well I wouldnt want McIntyre to stick with them simply because they are experienced

But De Gea didnt sign for Utd on a one year contract. What youre effectively saying is we put up with his faults now so that he'll get better later, when he'll most likely be playing for someone else.

As I said, I wasnt being entirely serious with that, I also didnt say that Antell definitely isnt good enough. He may well turn out to be - I certainly hope so. My points were just that signing him because he'll be good in the future is pointless and signing a keeper that means you "have" to drop one of your centre halves just doesnt seem right.

No not saying we should put up with his mistakes but his confidence needs to come from playing and I'm sure he will pick up and become better game by game.

Lennon is quoted on the saints OS as saying it was a "difficult surface" :lol:

Difficult for hammer throwers like Goodwin maybe. Perfectly fine for football players

I'd forgotten by the end it wasn't grass, probably because I was more concerned about our defence more than anything else.

I can maybe see his point about Queens being more used to it (although they've only had a training session and a game) but it doesn't explain why our back line was constantly caught off guard.

No not saying we should put up with his mistakes but his confidence needs to come from playing and I'm sure he will pick up and become better game by game.

Yes, you might be right. This is certainly one I really hope to be proven wrong on.

I'd forgotten by the end it wasn't grass, probably because I was more concerned about our defence more than anything else.

I can maybe see his point about Queens being more used to it (although they've only had a training session and a game) but it doesn't explain why our back line was constantly caught off guard.

I said the same to a friend who was seeing it for the first time. Its a fantastic pitch and if Lennon cant set up a team to play on it his days in football should be numbered

In fairness I believe we don't use that pitch unless it's bad weather and the grass one is out of action. Would have thought training on it a few times before playing on another plastic surface would have been a good idea though!

Pitch was nothing to do with our defeat.

Difficult for hammer throwers like Goodwin maybe. Perfectly fine for football players

Take it their own surface was "difficult" when they were pumped by the same scoreline. Poor poor excuse

I am pretty sure that st mirrens training ground is 3g, so surely our would be better than that.

Queen of the South

Goalkeepers

Calum Antell (21)

Jim Atkinson (18)

Defenders

Andy Dowie (30)

Mark Durnan (20)

Chris Higgins (28)

Kevin Holt (20)

Ryan McGuffie (33)

Chris Mitchell (25)

Midfielders

Paul Burns (29)

Daniel Carmichael (23)

Stephen McKenna (27)

Ian McShane (20)

Daniel Orsi (21)

Michael Paton (24)

Pat Slattery (20)

Derek Young (33)

Forwards

Derek Lyle (32)

Gavin Reilly (20)

Iain Russell (30)

Ages at 1st August 2013

Bump!

Dowie, Antell and McShane added to the squad.