The Queen of the South thread

A lot of players have failed at the Old Firm too.

In terms of the breakaway thing, we could be seeing Nicky a lot sooner than we expected if the powers at be have their way. Not sure the board have much choice on the matter to be honest.

I don't really see where he would fail after playing in the league and scoring many goals. Only way he will fail is if he cant handle the pressure of playing for Rangers where he'll be expected to put in a great shift ever game.

Exactly.

It would be a great move for Nicky and for Rangers. I think he would benefit as a player playing and training full time at the best training facilities in Scotland. The lad can score goals and undoubtedly he'll score them playing with Rangers. Just because he's played with a second division club doesn't mean he cant make the step up to a big club like Rangers, players have to start somewhere. It's a win, win for both player and club.

Good luck to Nicky wherever he goes. Rangers wouldn`t be my choice but as you outline it`s a very decent move for the lad if that`s where he ends up. TBH I`d be more worried that McCoist will get the bullet at some stage and Johnston might be the guy to replace him if he continues to be a success with us next season.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

I don't really see where he would fail after playing in the league and scoring many goals. Only way he will fail is if he cant handle the pressure of playing for Rangers where he'll be expected to put in a great shift ever game.

I can pretty much guarantee that Allan Johnston demands, and gets, more from his players every week than McCoist does. That would certainly be one of the downsides to a move for Nicky, he would be working with a far inferior manager

I'll have to unfollow him on Twitter in a precaution for the sudden explosion in tweets about Nandos

You don't really know about a player and how they cope with the change from little to ridiculous expectations, heavy media scrutiny, the pressure of trying to be worth the amount money they pay you as well as all the other little trivial things that occur when moving clubs until they do move . Some thrive in it and others don't. There's always unpredictability when it comes to transfers.

Even if he doesnt get a game for them in the SPL, he'll have two seasons earning significantly more money than he could anywhere else and, if successful, will have had enough exposure to pretty much guarantee a move to another SPL or div 1 club, at worst. Im not sure what would be a better career move, to be honest.

Go to Rangers to get £2500 per week or stay at QOS for £450 per week no brainier I think

The Rangers confirm their interest in Clark. http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/3890-mccoist-keen-on-clark

I think this move has been pretty inevitable for a while. It's win/win for Rangers and Clark, but I don't think it's necessarily a lose situation for Queens either. Obviously 40 goals is a hard thing for any team to replace, but then we have scored more goals than a normal season (almost a record breaking amount), so it's not like a normal Queens side having to replace 40 goals. The word replace doesn't really fill me with any great fear anyway since Johnston has been so faultless in the players he has brought in.

As it stands Clark has had one excellent season for us, and one incredibly poor season. There are obviously numerous other factors to be considered about why this is, but another player with a similar record instantly springs to mind - Derek Holmes. Clark will be remembered fondly because his poor season preceded the good one. Holmer did things the other way about though, and is sadly now some sort of hate-figure.

There are several examples of players that have ripped the 2nd Division to shreds, and then looked mediocre in the 1st. Remember last season "The Moff" was going to single handedly win the league for Ayr? Despite potentially writing himself into the Queens record books, no-one has Clark as their Player of the Year, some not even featuring him in their top 3. There are still several aspects of Clark's game that require work (his hold up play and first touch are poor) and he is yet to prove himself at a higher level than the 2nd Division.

It's very strange to feel this apathetic about a 40 goal a season striker. The East Fife game was probably a microcosm of his season, largely anonymous and then pops up with 2 goals! Age is on his side, and he will go into next season brimming with confidence, although that might soon disappear if he isn't featuring very regularly for The Rangers.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on his career with interest.

Great post and I also will watch with interest to see how he gets on.

Edited by Hawk

Ur not wrong

Lets just hope that you are then, and that Nicky sees that moving to any of the other clubs who are interested in him would be a far better career move than playing against the same teams again next year for the once mighty rangers, but being the club that we are we will wish him all the best wherever he goes!

See where you're coming from with the first sentence, but I think he'll really struggle with the latter!

Edited by Hawk

Cammy , you can't compare Clark and Holmes saying they have had one good and bad season each. One year ago , Clark , as a young player , wasn't ' ready' and playing under a poor manager and in a lacklustre side. Holmes , on the other hand, had been a senior player for a long time and was as good as he was ever going to be. While I appreciated some of Holmers qualities , Clark is a different goal scoring beast altogether. He will do very well but I cannot be fully behind him now. Thanks for the memories Nicky.

Best of luck to Nicky. Will get a good wage and he'll have another season of banging goals in against part time teams.

Disappointed he has gone but not gutted, He's had a fantastic season but don't think he is irreplaceable.

It's very strange to feel this apathetic about a 40 goal a season striker.

I know what you mean here.

I'm not going to pretend Clark hasn't been terrific this season, because he clearly has been. He's scored a ridiculous number of goals overall, and has hit the target in games against Hibs, Rangers, Kilmarnock and Partick in the final.

However, he's a Hell of a lot less irreplaceable than say, Dobbie was ever going to be. The fact is we've created so many chances this season, that our front players couldn't really have failed to be among the goals. Whilst the best strikers have got to be prepared to miss, it's also true that Clark does miss his share of sitters.

I've been resigned to his departing for a while, but it's still the case that there's only one other club I'd be this unhappy to see him leave us for.

I'm afraid I'll find it impossible to enjoy seeing him on the scoresheet next season.

Clark isn`t irreplaceable but that shouldn`t take away from the fact that 40 goals is a fantastic achievement.

For me his overall play has been excellent albeit as others have said he still misses his share of chances.

Hugely impressed by how he has done this season. Good luck to him.

I know what you mean here.

I'm not going to pretend Clark hasn't been terrific this season, because he clearly has been. He's scored a ridiculous number of goals overall, and has hit the target in games against Hibs, Rangers, Kilmarnock and Partick in the final.

However, he's a Hell of a lot less irreplaceable than say, Dobbie was ever going to be. The fact is we've created so many chances this season, that our front players couldn't really have failed to be among the goals. Whilst the best strikers have got to be prepared to miss, it's also true that Clark does miss his share of sitters.

I've been resigned to his departing for a while, but it's still the case that there's only one other club I'd be this unhappy to see him leave us for.

I'm afraid I'll find it impossible to enjoy seeing him on the scoresheet next season.

If it turns out to be true and he does sign for that second division team I don't think you'll need to worry that much about seeing him on the score sheet that often. The competition will be fierce for places and I don't expect him to play that regularly or score that often.