The Queen of the South thread

Yeh,that's the financial argument and if money was the only thing to consider then fine.

I also prefer to watch football on a flat playing surface rather than the rutted bobbly mess that ours has the tendency to become in the winter months.

Do you share with a rugby club?

What about the groudsman?

Anyway,i don't think we're going to agree here mate,so just have a good day and congratulations on the title! :)

Nah I don't think we are either :lol:

Cheers though and see you next season! :)

Do you share with a rugby club?

What about the groudsman?

Anyway,i don't think we're going to agree here mate,so just have a good day and congratulations on the title! :)

I know your big team do but Football league teams have more moniez than us to spend on pitches as well as signing SPL rejects. Surprised you chose Dundee considering Rovers were originally called the Black Arabs...

Looking forward to next season, i'm optimistic to who ohnston brings in, he'll have an easier job convincing players than last year. Plus we're probably in as good financial position or better than most teams next year.

Speaking to the players last night I gathered, McGuffie will sign. Higgins will sign if they give him a 2 year deal, which I fully hope they do. Robinson will possibly be staying. Bumped into Johnston at the cash machine and he says they've not contemplated Robbo leaving

Well done to those who attended but that's got to be classed as a disappointing gate. Most successful QoS team in living (possibly longer?) memory and we only get 2500? I seem to recall there were 5000 odd when we were presented with the Div2 trophy back in 2002.

Well done to those who attended but that's got to be classed as a disappointing gate. Most successful QoS team in living (possibly longer?) memory and we only get 2500? I seem to recall there were 5000 odd when we were presented with the Div2 trophy back in 2002.

I recall there were 6000+ at that game V Morton in 2002.

A variety of factors involved in the differences I would think. We had been absolutely starved of any real success prior to that time and the title was in the balance up until the last couple of games.

This title comes at the end of a period of success in terms of our history, a decade at a higher level than we had been for some time, an epic victory at Hampden in a cup semi, Queens in a Scottish Cup Final which was something I suspect none of us thought we would ever see and qualifying for Europe. That plus it`s been obvious for some time that the league was ours this season.

Totally agree the gate is a real disappointment especially given we`ve won 2 trophies, one of them in the most dramatic fashion and played some fantastic football but I suspect at least some of the above are the reasons.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Record Watch Update

Well yesterday's late fight back from the dead extended a couple of records already broken but, more importantly, preserved our unbeaten home record for the season which means we've matched the club record for consecutive home league games without defeat and will go into next season with a chance to beat it in our first home game. Nicky's two goals now leave him tantalisingly close to Jimmy Rutherford's 41 goals in a season club record.

Club Records Already Set:

All time record points total for a season was 67 achieved in the 2001-02 championship season. We are now on 89 points with a game to go.

Latest First League Defeat in a season. We didn't lose our first league game until December 11th. The previous record was November 9th.

(Tied Record) Most Games Unbeaten from the Start of the Season. We were beaten in our 14th League game which matches the 13 game unbeaten start to 1985/86.

Most wins in a season - 24 in 1961/62. Present total is 28.

Record Unbeaten Run in a Season - 16 games in 1950/51. New record set of 18 games, ended at Stenhousemuir.

Earliest Date for Clinching a League Title - 20th April 2002 was the previous earliest (it was 28th April 1951). This one was clinched on 27th March 2013.

Most points in a season using 2 points for a win - 55 in 85/86 (which was a 39 game season). Our present record equates to 61.

Least defeats in a season - 5 in 1932/33. Best post war is 6 in 1950/51. Present total is 2.

(Tied Record) Record Unbeaten Run at Home (League Only) - 18 games. We will go into next season with a chance to beat this.

Several other records remain possible:

Least goals conceded in a league season - 31 in 1923/24 but that was a 30 game season. 33 in a 38 game season in 74/75 is probably better. Our present total is 23 and seems certain to break the existing record barring an eight goal collapse in the final game.

Most goals scored in a season - 99 in 1931/32. Best post war is 94 in 1959/60. Present total is 91. The post war total is still possible with a game against Albion Rovers to come.

Best goal difference in a season - +45 in 1961/62. Present GD is +68. Again, we'd be hard pushed not to beat this now as we'd need to lose by 23 goals next week not to beat it!

Most Goals for an Individual in a Season (All Competitions) - J Rutherford 41 goals, Nicky Clark is on 40 goals with a game to go and might yet take this.

Happy to hear of any corrections in the above existing records? I might have missed something or there may be errors in the source data somewhere.

I know your big team do but Football league teams have more moniez than us to spend on pitches as well as signing SPL rejects. Surprised you chose Dundee considering Rovers were originally called the Black Arabs...

Looking forward to next season, i'm optimistic to who ohnston brings in, he'll have an easier job convincing players than last year. Plus we're probably in as good financial position or better than most teams next year.

Bristol Rugby are leaving to play at the Citys ground,so we'll probably have a smoother field of play next time.

I'm not having ago at Queens,i just don't like artificial pitches.Fine for training but not the real thing imo.

I would rather have a bumpy,muddy etc real field.

It obviously isn't but the reality of scottish football is that it isn't really feasible for the lower leagues.

Are Bristol Rovers replacing the memorial ground anytime soon or was that scuppered by the failed 2018 bid? I don't mind Rovers I like a club that has a pirate for a logo. 8)

Hello to Roker Rover. Grand to have met you and the lads last night.

You're all a credit to your club. Hope your hangovers aren't as bad as mine!

Believe me, the pleasure was all ours.

Everybody we met all day was top class and a credit to both your club and the area. Having been to Scotland before, I should not be surprised by that though.

It was a top day out.

It can't have escaped you lot that Steven Dobbie is in line for his THIRD Championship play off final with Palace in the top six. Of course , there is the small matter of winning the semi first. Having won two finals at Wembley with Swansea and Blackpool , who would bet against him again ?. ps Heard he scored a cracker yesterday.

Someone asked me last night about Lee Robinson's penalty record this season (it might actually have been him who asked when I think about it!).

Incredibly we've now given away 13 penalties this season which is a very high number for a season. Granted the one Albion Rovers got at Palmerston was very soft, the two Arbroath got at Gayfield were laughable and the one Thistle got in the Ramsdens Cup Final was about two feet outtside the box but even so we've conceded a lot.

However, only six of thirteen penalties actually ended up in the net!

Lee McCulloch (Rangers), Brown Ferguson (Stenhousemuir), Steven Doris (Arbroath) twice, Ryan McCord (Alloa Athletic) and Alan Trouten (Brechin City) all successfully scored, the McCord one costing us our only defeat before the Championship was actually won.

Steven Doris (Arbroath), Chris Aitken (Stranraer) and Tony Stevenson (Albion Rovers) all missed the target with their kicks.

Lee has actually saved four kicks in regulation play. Peter Weatherson (Morton), Jason Crooks (Albion Rovers), Aaron Muirhead (Partick Thistle) and yesterday's from Scott McBride (East Fife).

He's also faced 12 kicks in penalty shoot outs against Rangers and Thistle and saved three of those whilst Agryiou hit the post for Rangers.

So in terms of failing to score (and I think it's fair to say his antics have contributed firmly to those who missed) he's running at better than 50% in normal play and still only 14 successful kicks from 25 including shoot outs. Great record.

It can't have escaped you lot that Steven Dobbie is in line for his THIRD Championship play off final with Palace in the top six. Of course , there is the small matter of winning the semi first. Having won two finals at Wembley with Swansea and Blackpool , who would bet against him again ?. ps Heard he scored a cracker yesterday.

There's also the small matter of securing their place in them first. Whilst Palace have their fate in their own hands they still need three points from two games to get in probably. They have to go to Millwall midweek and then entertain Peterborough next weekend both of whom are fighting for survival so they won't be gimmes.

As per usual though, Dobs seems to be running into form just nicely in time for the playoffs again.

He took his goal beautifully yesterday. If Palace play Brighton at any point in the play-offs then Dobbie presumably won`t be able to play as he is on loan to Palace from Brighton. If current league positions are maintained the 2 sides would meet in the play-off semi-final.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer