The Queen of the South thread

And Craig 4-6-0 Levein

But Levein played an attacking 4-6-0 formation unlike the McPherson 'park the bus' 4-6-0 formation.

In all seriousness I would rate McPherson as one of the worst managers at Palmerston in over 60 years of following Queens and there have been a lot of contenders for that title.

Edited by veteran

But Levein played an attacking 4-6-0 formation unlike the McPherson 'park the bus' 4-6-0 formation.

In all seriousness I would rate McPherson as one of the worst managers at Palmerston in over 60 years of following Queens and there have been a lot of contenders for that title.

Hard to argue with that. Its amazing to think that, pretty much, to a man everyone was happy with his appointment.

I was immediately concerned about some St. Mirren fans pre season comments regarding Gus . They were all on here but seemed to slip under the radar of even the eagle eyed Queens fan regulars on here . As I say , not mine.

I'll admit that I was right behind the appointment.

From what I remember, most St Mirren fans seemed to predict he'd get us organised, fit and difficult to beat. It didn't sound exciting, but with spending being cut way back, it sounded necessary and sensible. I also welcomed the fact we'd looked outside the club for a change.

As it was, we wound up punchless, hapless as we tired towards the end of matches, and remarkably easy to beat.

We got the worst of both worlds - a stuffy uninspiring outfit as expected, but also one that kept losing anyway.

McPherson was truly awful for us.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

MT-- If you remember way back to 87-88 under Davie Wilson . We had suffered some early season cuffings and he played defensively for the remainder of the season (say Oct onwards) ) . We were quite happy with this as while it was quite uninspiring , he kept us up. As you say , there was no end product to last seasons sitting back , only weak ( unfit ) surrender

I think MT's summary pretty much sums up the general feeling at the time. I thought through experience alone Gus would have us shit-festing our way to survival, and we could take it from there with the books duly balanced.

I don't have 60 years of bad memories to compare with, but I have witnessed some piss poor Queens teams in my time. Gus's reign is the only time I've felt no inclination to attend games. That probably does make him the worst.

A couple of mates who were St Mirren fans couldn't wait to see the back of McPherson and had doubts about his ability to do the job at Palmerston.

In a league where 'everybody can beat everybody else' his philosophy of 'don't lose' was always going to be a disaster. With that approach you can't win games but you can still lose them.

His rating of players was fairly amazing. Players like Simmons and Potter he rated highly while players like Craig Reid and McKenna he didn't. No wonder he lost the dressing room.

I wonder if Davie Rae regrets keeping him in the job at the start of 2012. Had he been punted then I think we might at least have been in play-off position. All history now unfortunately.

A couple of mates who were St Mirren fans couldn't wait to see the back of McPherson and had doubts about his ability to do the job at Palmerston.

In a league where 'everybody can beat everybody else' his philosophy of 'don't lose' was always going to be a disaster. With that approach you can't win games but you can still lose them.

His rating of players was fairly amazing. Players like Simmons and Potter he rated highly while players like Craig Reid and McKenna he didn't. No wonder he lost the dressing room.

I wonder if Davie Rae regrets keeping him in the job at the start of 2012. Had he been punted then I think we might at least have been in play-off position. All history now unfortunately.

We too were amazed at how highly he rated Potter and were delighted to see the back of him too. I remember pishing myself when I read he'd signed for you as it was a classic Gus old pals' act moment.

Hilarious to hear Preston on the radio tring to tout him for the United job :lol:

Totally agree about McPherson, yet at this time last year there were still a good number of fans claiming he would keep us up. And just after we signed Parkin there were some telling us that we were playing much better, despite the fact that results had not improved.

Also, he was offered a new contract in February, so the Board must have thought he was doing well even that late in the season. The contract offer was not met with universal dismay amongst the fans. It was really only later on that most fans started to realise it was a mistake.

I certainly don't remember any great number of calls for him to be sacked in January, when someone else could have come in, made a couple of worthwhile signings and changed our approach. Most fans were happy for Gus to carry on, blaming the poor results on the fact that the budget had been slashed and that he hadn't been given time to make signings in the summer.

So, although some fans did find it a chore to go to games, there were plenty more who were happy enough to make excuses for him at the time. I honestly don't think there were all that many in January last season saying he was our worst ever manager and to get him punted. There were some, but they were possibly in the minority and it certainly wasn't the majority who wanted him to be sacked.

Totally agree about McPherson, yet at this time last year there were still a good number of fans claiming he would keep us up. And just after we signed Parkin there were some telling us that we were playing much better, despite the fact that results had not improved.

Also, he was offered a new contract in February, so the Board must have thought he was doing well even that late in the season. The contract offer was not met with universal dismay amongst the fans. It was really only later on that most fans started to realise it was a mistake.

I certainly don't remember any great number of calls for him to be sacked in January, when someone else could have come in, made a couple of worthwhile signings and changed our approach. Most fans were happy for Gus to carry on, blaming the poor results on the fact that the budget had been slashed and that he hadn't been given time to make signings in the summer.

So, although some fans did find it a chore to go to games, there were plenty more who were happy enough to make excuses for him at the time. I honestly don't think there were all that many in January last season saying he was our worst ever manager and to get him punted. There were some, but they were possibly in the minority and it certainly wasn't the majority who wanted him to be sacked.

A very fair post. I thought he would somehow save us from relegation and that the team would click. Clearly I was well wide of the mark.

I can't remember if I was vocal against Macpherson on here or not, perhaps after being very much against Chisholm, McCall and Scott in the past I decided to change the record! I did vow not to return until he was gone though. It's nice to have a manager I actually rate even if it does mean having to work on new material for here!

The Aberdeen game probably bought him some time even if it did end up being a false-dawn. There was probably a feeling amongst some as well that our performances were to be expected with the budget cuts, and no-one else could do any better with their hands tied.

I certainly remember dissent towards Gus's team selections and him favouring no-marks such as McLaughlan over the "young boys".