The Queen of the South thread

Biggest pisser of the season ( for me ) continues to be McKenna's red card at Kilmarnock. I do believe we would have got a draw , bringing them back to Palmerston if he hadn't been sent off . At home we could well have done them

It's interesting that nobody is slagging Higgins for another yellow today (for dissent which is surely the most needless of all yellows) that puts him level with McKenna in all competitions, in fact in the league Higgins has one more yellow than McKenna . They both have roles which mean yellows go with the territory, in fact if you break it down to averages both have around 1 yellow for every four league games. I thought McKenna was outstanding today, as was Higgins, I just wish people would accept McKenna for what he is.

Disclaimer: this is not criticism of Higgins, far from it, it is only to show that McKenna is no worse than anyone else disciplinary wise, and in recent games has been one of our best players (as has Higgins).

Edited by Ghost of Harkness

Where does this team rank compared to some other great Queens sides?

Definitely better than the 2001-2002 Championship winning team (albeit that team was part time). Hard to compare with some of our First Division squads as while we look good in one off cup games , only next season with same manager and similar squad can really give us an idea.

It's interesting that nobody is slagging Higgins for another yellow today (for dissent which is surely the most needless of all yellows) that puts him level with McKenna in all competitions, in fact in the league Higgins has one more yellow than McKenna . They both have roles which mean yellows go with the territory, in fact if you break it down to averages both have around 1 yellow for every four league games. I thought McKenna was outstanding today, as was Higgins, I just wish people would accept McKenna for what he is.

Disclaimer: this is not criticism of Higgins, far from it, it is only to show that McKenna is no worse than anyone else disciplinary wise, and in recent games has been one of our best players (as has Higgins).

It of course shows he`s no worse than Higgins.

Durnan`s role probably also goes with the territory and according to the OS stats he has one red and one yellow this season.

McKenna has been excellent of late and to me seems to be playing in a more measured way and has been excellent in possession as well as breaking up play. Maybe the penny has finally dropped. He will always pick up bookings but previously many were for challenges that IMHO he didn`t need to make plus some for dissent.

Huge amount to offer the team, great to see him doing well.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

It of course shows he`s no worse than Higgins.

Durnan`s role probably also goes with the territory and according to the OS stats he has one red and one yellow this season.

McKenna has been excellent of late and to me seems to be playing in a more measured way and has been excellent in possession as well as breaking up play. Maybe the penny has finally dropped. He will always pick up bookings but previously many were for challenges that IMHO he didn`t need to make plus some for dissent.

Huge amount to offer the team, great to see him doing well.

I think a lot McKenna's good work has come about due to the fact that Derek Young has been playing alongside him. As previously said (jokingly) we have narrowed it down to 15 for the player of the season but to me Young has been outstanding in the vast majority of games he's played in. It was no coincidence that we lost when he was absent against Alloa. That was one of the few games where we never got to grips with the centre of the park. Young seems to be a real calming influence to all that are around him.

When we play with both Young and McKenna sitting in the middle we generally control games and the work McKenna was trying to do on his own last year is shared therefore he doesn't have the need to be chasing all over the park, diving into challenges.

Nothing against Mitchel or Burns, who's been a great servant to the club, but they look lost when asked to play in the middle. I also think we should keep to a basic 4-4-2 formation which suits us a team a lot better instead of these fancy continental ones where some of the guys don't seem to know weither to stick or twist. Yesterday for the first hour was another example of this.

Edited by Hawk

I think a lot McKenna's good work has come about due to the fact that Derek Young has been playing alongside him. As previously said (jokingly) we have narrowed it down to 15 for the player of the season but to me Young has been outstanding in the vast majority of games he's played in. It was no coincidence that we lost when he was absent against Alloa. That was one of the few games where we never got to grips with the centre of the park. Young seems to be a real calming influence to all that are around him.

When we play with both Young and McKenna sitting in the middle we generally control games and the work McKenna was trying to do on his own last year is shared therefore he doesn't have the need to be chasing all over the park, diving into challenges.

Nothing against Mitchel or Burns, who's been a great servant to the club, but they look lost when asked to play in the middle. I also think we should keep to a basic 4-4-2 formation which suits us a team a lot better instead of these fancy continental ones where some of the guys don't seem to know weither to stick or twist. Yesterday for the first hour was another example of this.

McKenna and Young are far and away the best central mid-field pairing we have. They give us dominance in mid-field. So much so that against Arbroath in the second half Johnstone was able to switch to what was a very risky 4-2-3 formation and we blew the opposition away. I doubt we could have done that without either of them.

Biggest pisser of the season ( for me ) continues to be McKenna's red card at Kilmarnock. I do believe we would have got a draw , bringing them back to Palmerston if he hadn't been sent off . At home we could well have done them

According to Kenny Shiels and a number of Killie fans, far from being a pisser, the sending-off worked in our favour. As far as they are concerned, had it not been for the sending-off, Killie would have won by more goals.

So we really should send a thank you note to Tumilty for correcting our tactics and allowing us to keep the score down.

On the subject of McKenna and Young, lets get them tied up for next season . This would be a strong central partnership that will do well in the First Division. Dare I say it , that McKenna is playing far more maturely at the moment and letting his football do the talking. He is a good player.

On the subject of McKenna and Young, lets get them tied up for next season . This would be a strong central partnership that will do well in the First Division. Dare I say it , that McKenna is playing far more maturely at the moment and letting his football do the talking. He is a good player.

After a season of torture under 'park the bus' McPherson , everybody at Palmerston is playing better. No surprise there.

I would say with the exception of Durnan, the defence will be fairly easy to sign up again, If Stephen Mckenna can agree to saying on with Gus McPherson in charge and playing second division football, he'll be back, Burns hasn't really done enough to get a bigger club after him. Willie Gibson is probably seen as damaged goods because of his attitude, Young and Orsi will stay. Danny and Mitchell are probably going to attract the attention of the bigger clubs so we'll have a job keeping them on.

Nicky and Gavin I think will be off to a bigger club whereas Lyle and Smith will stay. Hopefully we can keep a hold of most of them and keep one or two of the attacking players

Think Danny will stay with an improved contract offer, homeboy.

Would like to think most of the squad will sign on the dotted line, yes Clark Reilly might interest others for me Reilly could go but think we have to try and keep Clark, Clark snr and Magic.

McKenna and Young may be easier to tie up for next season than some of the younger players

I will start working on him next time I see him picking his kids up ;)

In all honesty if we can keep the majority of the squad together I will be happy, surprised but happy.

Much more important is keeping the management team in place, they seem to have the knack of finding players who want to play for them, long may it continue.

Mon the South :D

Edited by NEexile