The Queen of the South thread

Mitchell is a class act.

Chris Mitchell has been outstanding for us this season. Absolutely outstanding. He's a very good full back anyway but his delivery both from set pieces and indeed from open play crossing is as good as any I've seen at Palmerston. He must have near double figures in assists for the season.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

It would appear that the rumours of the last few weeks have come to fruition and Mr Clark has “managed Gavin Reilly out of the team. I suppose it was inevitable as the youngster was doing so well and taking the spotlight away from others!

It would appear that the rumours of the last few weeks have come to fruition and Mr Clark has “managed Gavin Reilly out of the team. I suppose it was inevitable as the youngster was doing so well and taking the spotlight away from others!

Would be surprised if that was true.

I think it's grat that we have a squad that allows us to give young players a break and not heap too much expectation on them.

Gavin's form has dipped, and tbh he doesn't look the same player as the start of the season. Clark is scoring for fun, so reilly is the obvious choice to drop out if magic is changing it up. He will have another run in the team, but I don't think a few games on the bench will do him any harm.

Allan Johnston has the very welcome problem of who to leave out and chose two from three from Reilly Clark and Lyle after he has reverted to 4 4 2 after a few games with a 4 3 3 formation where all three played.. Reilly is still very much part of the first team squad coming on as a sub in the two games in which he has not started. He played very well when he came on at Forfar. I don't think his form has dipped at all.

Well, I would say his form has dipped . Some seem to forget that Reilly will not be a complete player straight away . He has promise but is still developing . He is on a learning curve and a spell on the bench will do him no harm at all, infact , he will come back better knowing there is a scrap on for a starting jersey.

There was nothing wrong with Reilly's form before we started to play 4-3-3. He suffered from playing in a semi wide position as he is more of a penalty box type of player. When we changed back to 4-4-2, we should have reverted to the same front 2 who had done so well in that system. But, having not played well in the 4-3-3, there was justification for dropping him.

Would be surprised if that was true.

I think it's grat that we have a squad that allows us to give young players a break and not heap too much expectation on them.

Ah squad rotation to give players a rest, just like Fergie does at Man U.

It must be great to have a good enough and large enough squad to allow this, wonder when the only outfield player to start EVERY game will be rested then, Saturday??

Ah squad rotation to give players a rest, just like Fergie does at Man U.

It must be great to have a good enough and large enough squad to allow this, wonder when the only outfield player to start EVERY game will be rested then, Saturday??

Maybe when he stops scoring goals :rolleyes:

I wonder which will end first, Clarks goalscoring form or your bizarre obsession with him

Apologies if this has been answered recently but am on my phone and it's not easy to search.

What are the contract situations of our current squad? Hopefully most are tied up for more than one year so we don't lose them in January or the Summer for nothing?

Apologies if this has been answered recently but am on my phone and it's not easy to search.

What are the contract situations of our current squad? Hopefully most are tied up for more than one year so we don't lose them in January or the Summer for nothing?

All contracts except Holt (2014) and Hopkirk (Dec 2012) expire at the end of the current season in May 2012. This is pretty much standard in the divisions below the SPL where clubs wish to avoid paying players in the close season.

All contracts except Holt (2014) and Hopkirk (Dec 2012) expire at the end of the current season in May 2012. This is pretty much standard in the divisions below the SPL where clubs wish to avoid paying players in the close season.

With money in the bank, we'd be we'll placed to be one of the few to be able to offer closed season pay. Could be a huge advantage.

Following on from Palmy Cammy's idea. Statistically speaking , our defence of 85-86 and the present one , have the best defensive record in my living memory . Question is though , what was the best all round . Barney v Lee, Graham Robertson v Guff or Mitchell , Holty v Billy Sim, Parker and Hetherington v Durnan and Higgins . Both cracking defensive units but can we seperate them ? Over to you !

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Following on from Palmy Cammy's idea. Statistically speaking , our defence of 85-86 and the present one , have the best defensive record in my living memory . Question is though , what was the best all round . Barney v Lee, Graham Robertson v Guff or Mitchell , Holty v Billy Sim, Parker and Hetherington v Durnan and Higgins . Both cracking defensive units but can we seperate them ? Over to you !

That's not easy, so I'll cheat:

Barney

Mitchell Parker Higgins Sim

There was nothing wrong with Reilly's form before we started to play 4-3-3. He suffered from playing in a semi wide position as he is more of a penalty box type of player. When we changed back to 4-4-2, we should have reverted to the same front 2 who had done so well in that system. But, having not played well in the 4-3-3, there was justification for dropping him.

This

I’m lead to believe that early season and up until a few weeks ago Queens played a 4-4-2.formation.

Gavin was brought in to play as one of the two strikers against Hibs, Dundee Utd, Rangers Arbroath, Ayr and Stranraer, where he and the team played extremely well with Gavin scoring a number of goals and the team and the youngster rightly getting a lot of media interest. Then, for some reason the formation was changed, which I witnessed and commented on against Edinburgh City, with Gavin playing a much deeper and wider role, to the point especially at set pieces whereby he was very often well outside the penalty box.

Very strange indeed would you not say?.

This

I’m lead to believe that early season and up until a few weeks ago Queens played a 4-4-2.formation.

Gavin was brought in to play as one of the two strikers against Hibs, Dundee Utd, Rangers Arbroath, Ayr and Stranraer, where he and the team played extremely well with Gavin scoring a number of goals and the team and the youngster rightly getting a lot of media interest. Then, for some reason the formation was changed, which I witnessed and commented on against Edinburgh City, with Gavin playing a much deeper and wider role, to the point especially at set pieces whereby he was very often well outside the penalty box.

Very strange indeed would you not say?.

Games played using a 4-3-3 = 3

Goals Scored = 6

Goals Conceded = 2

Goals Scored by Gavin Reilly = 1

Effect on the Queens juggernaut = none

Effect on Gavin Reilly's performances = slight.