The Queen of the South thread

You're back!

I do think a formal statement is due..........just to clear things up.

Heard at a party last night, from a friend of a friend whose sisters aunties brothers mate is a Queens supporter , McCusker’s out for the season!!

Ps Happy new year to one and all.

I dont post an awful lot from home anyway, but, Im on holiday at the moment, so have been spending most of time during the day with the kids. Evenings have been either at the hospital visiting my Dad, or watching the EPL games on Sky ... sometimes both. That ok with you?

You're back!

I do think a formal statement is due..........just to clear things up.

Something like the above would suffice.

Somebody just posted on the mad site ( a usually reliable poster) that there will be news of major development at Palmerston in tomorrow's Standard . Don't know anything about it or if there is anything in it but thought I would bring to attention anyway.

New stand replacing the old one.Offices below (council) and part funded .

Somebody just posted on the mad site ( a usually reliable poster) that there will be news of major development at Palmerston in tomorrow's Standard . Don't know anything about it or if there is anything in it but thought I would bring to attention anyway.

It will definitely be there, the Standard announced it on twitter

I knew it had to happen one day, but still ... :(

Not too exciting then. Prompted more by the terminal decline of the existing facility, rather than by any notion of particularly upgrading. I know SPL compliance isn't exactly urgent at the moment, but it'll be galling if a big overhaul doesn't really address this issue.

No doubt necessary and welcome, if of course it happens this time.

Hard to get worked up about though.

Not too exciting then. Prompted more by the terminal decline of the existing facility, rather than by any notion of particularly upgrading. I know SPL compliance isn't exactly urgent at the moment, but it'll be galling if a big overhaul doesn't really address this issue.

No doubt necessary and welcome, if of course it happens this time.

Indeed. I think there is always a story like this every year or so and nothing ever happens.

I knew it had to happen one day, but still ... :(

Not before time and hopefully it won't be too long before the Terregles Street end also sees some renovation as well. Just clearing the terracing would be a start.

The only reason to get worked up about it is that our old main stand is a magnificent structure. Palmerston won't be the same without it but no doubt this is long overdue. It's just a shame we can't do something with the Terregles Street end.

Indeed. I think there is always a story like this every year or so and nothing ever happens.

Yeah, it's a bit like the boy who cried " wolf "

Still it would be nice if there were some bones to it this time.

Not before time and hopefully it won't be too long before the Terregles Street end also sees some renovation as well. Just clearing the terracing would be a start.

..and then we'd be left with a Firhill eyesore. I'd rather just leave it until such time as we have the funding in place to erect a new stand.

The only reason to get worked up about it is that our old main stand is a magnificent structure. Palmerston won't be the same without it but no doubt this is long overdue. It's just a shame we can't do something with the Terregles Street end.

This.

Maybe it's not quite a magnificent structure, but I am fond of it and would miss it. It's clearly well past it and although it probably is the part of the ground most in need of attention, it doesn't feel like it. Terregles Street would certainly be more of a priority for me, but if the stand really is on its last legs, then I suppose its needs are more urgent.

How long would it take to build the new stand?

I think it would be better to sell the whole lot off and move elsewhere but I can imagine that wouldn't be popular with some.

I would be all for relocation as long as it was still within the town. Out of town stadiums are not the way forward.

That said, there are not many areas left in Dumfries big enough to build a stadium on, albeit I have often thought that Park Farm or St Joseph's College playing fields at Larchfield & Georgetown would fit the bill. That said, I can't see the residents of either areas agreeing to that.

I know this is all hypothetical but who owns Park farm? I know the rugby club play there and it would be easy enough to get to via the bypass for those out town, albeit there are not really many pubs etc nearby.

As a Larchfield boy I would be in favour of St Jo's, as it is big enough to have a stadium and training facilities that the community could use as well (Does the council own St. Jo's playing fields now?). Oh and of course there are pubs in the shape of the Mount Sydney and the Jolly Harvester on the door step and others like Greens and the Five Arches etc nearby. If I win £160 Million on the Euro lottery I will happily put up £20-30 million for that project!

Anyway back in the real world there have been so many different proposals over the last few years I hope whatever happens they are looking at the long term devlopment. There is no point putting up a new main stand if it does take into account future interlocking renovations to the Portland Drive or Terregles Street terracing.

Edited by qos_75