The Queen of the South thread

I think Poole has left. He certainly wasn't involved on Saturday.

I still think we need a left back, so perhaps Alan Reid will sign.

It'll be interesting to see who else is signed by Gus. Two, three or four more?

Edited to add that the rumour mill is pointing to Ryan McCann, Alan Reid and Jamie Barclay. By the rumour mill, I mean Colin Paterson's tweet.

Edited by MB

It'll be interesting to see who else is signed by Gus. I'd expect a striker and a goalkeeper, but will we see anyone else sign?

Edited to add that the rumour mill is pointing to Ryan McCann, Alan Reid and Jamie Barclay. By the rumour mill, I mean Colin Paterson's tweet.

Hoping for a striker still, i'm pretty happy with what is left in defence tbh...its the wings i think were lacking if wee dan is going to be a striker! and a goalkeeper is pretty much essential, hoping for lee robinson

Hoping for a striker still, i'm pretty happy with what is left in defence tbh...its the wings i think were lacking if wee dan is going to be a striker! and a goalkeeper is pretty much essential, hoping for lee robinson

It looks like Tom Brighton will be signed as well. I'd say that if we do indeed sign Brighton, Reid, McCann and Barclay then we have covered all the bases. Whether we have covered them with the requisite quality remains to be seen, but if that is the complete package then I'm quite encouraged considering the budgetary constraints. My main worry is that neither Barclay nor McKenzie are in the same class as Hutton.

Pretty happy with defence...if we shape up McGuffie Reid Campbell Higgins, i'll be pretty sound with that. We know what were getting from Ryan and reidy very reliable players. Campbell from what i've seen (one game) is going to be an asset and tbh i haven't seen enough of higgins regularly to take judgement but by reports he should be fine. Midfield we have a lot options in middle not entirely skillful or going to create much, but very hardworking...on the wings, the way people are talking Dan C is going to be upfront, so were still lacking a winger for me, and i'm supposing Nicky Clark is a winger, who i dont know much about but here's hoping. Striker wise it looks like wee Dan, Smith and to be confirmed if McCusker/Brighton will be our other striker, pretty strong uptops would like to see Brighton sign, looked alot better for us than he did Stirling last year and banged in a good few goals during preseason.

Forgot Keeper but everyone knows we need one! Pretty happy with how things are shaping up hopefully over next day or 2 we'll be sorted for the new season. Looking forward to Ayr now!!!!

Nicky Clark : Skillful - Yes; Hardworking - Yes; Creative Midfielder - Yes; Striker - Yes; Behind the Strikers - Yes; Winger - No.

Nicky Clark : Skillful - Yes; Hardworking - Yes; Creative Midfielder - Yes; Striker - Yes; Behind the Strikers - Yes; Winger - No.

think he will be played on wing blueone, pretty happy if the rumours of the 4 players signing are true, i'm taking it that means no mccusker though? or were going to be well over the supposed squad of 12 and 2 keepers, that had be rumoured. This still having young boys to add on, so could if signings are true, that we will have a decent sized squad for the campaign which is pleasing

think he will be played on wing blueone, pretty happy if the rumours of the 4 players signing are true, i'm taking it that means no mccusker though? or were going to be well over the supposed squad of 12 and 2 keepers, that had be rumoured. This still having young boys to add on, so could if signings are true, that we will have a decent sized squad for the campaign which is pleasing

When was that rumoured? Our squad will be small, but I don't think it was ever intended to be that tight. We may find ourselves with 14 senior outfield players, which I would suggest is the bare minimum. One thing I would say about the squad as it takes shape is that we have a number of players that can play in more than one position. I still think we're lacking a flying left winger, but perhaps they're hard to find.

When was that rumoured? Our squad will be small, but I don't think it was ever intended to be that tight. We may find ourselves with 14 senior outfield players, which I would suggest is the bare minimum. One thing I would say about the squad as it takes shape is that we have a number of players that can play in more than one position. I still think we're lacking a flying left winger, but perhaps they're hard to find.

Just from conversations with people, in and about the club, if signings come of obviously untrue, i tend to agree with you with the left midfield, its what i was hoping we were going to add, perhaps would have been a better move than Ryan McCann who seems to cover positions we have cover for...like you say we have a lot of utility men and a squad maybe not as small as i certainly was led to believe it would be, plus we have a few promising youngsters, coming through hopefully that come in and make there mark!

I can't see McPherson playing a system with wingers tbh. If he had that planned I'd imagine Weatherston would have been signed as well.

It'll be interesting to see who else is signed by Gus. Two, three or four more?

I think Id be a little dissapointed if they were are only remaining signings. McCann is ok, but we have reasonable cover in midfield already. Reid gives decent cover, I suppose but no more. Barclay Im not bothered about either way

I think that would leave us pretty light up front. Id rather see Brighton or McCusker sign then Reid.

Not sure if it's been mentioned on here or MAD, but I was informed the other day that, Weatherston has been told he doesn't fit into the plans and will not be getting a contract

GOOD!! i have been constantly reading posts from people saying " i really hope he stays" and "hes a useful player" all i can say in reply to that is that he had no footballing ability what so ever and he tired after 10-15 minutes or something. im not concerned that hes been released and hopefully now i can stop reading folks drivel about them wanting him to sign!

Not sure if it's been mentioned on here or MAD, but I was informed the other day that, Weatherston has been told he doesn't fit into the plans and will not be getting a contract

Its been alluded to on MAD - theres even a "bring back Weatherson" thread :rolleyes: Cant say Im overly surprised, or that bothered, to be honest. Hope he finds another club and Id prefer it not to be a first division club! As much as Im not overly fussed that hes gone, I think he's a player who would come back to haunt us.

So, if the rumoured signings do sign, plus MCusker (hey lets be optimistic :lol: ) then we'd be lining up something like this

-------------------------McKenzie

McGuffie-------Reid---------Campbell----Higgins

Carmichael----Simmons----McKenna----Clark

------------------Brighton-----Smith

That would leave a bench of

Johnston

Alan Reid

McLaughlin

McCann

McCusker

Theres also a lot of flexibility there too. McGuffie, Reid and Higgins can play centre back or full back. McCann can also play right back or, pretty much, anywhere in the midfield. McLaughlin and Johnston could play in the middle or out wide in midfield. Both Clark and Carmichael could also play up front.

None too shabby :)

GOOD!! i have been constantly reading posts from people saying " i really hope he stays" and "hes a useful player" all i can say in reply to that is that he had no footballing ability what so ever and he tired after 10-15 minutes or something. im not concerned that hes been released and hopefully now i can stop reading folks drivel about them wanting him to sign!

Heard it personally from another player, so can't imagine it being anything other than the truth. To be honest I'd rather he stayed. He has the pace to beat anyone in the leage and chips in with goals. Not sure what there is not to like

That said, with the squad shaping up the way it is, I don't see us being involved in the relegation battle that so many have already mentioned

Heard it personally from another player, so can't imagine it being anything other than the truth. To be honest I'd rather he stayed. He has the pace to beat anyone in the leage and chips in with goals. Not sure what there is not to like

That said, with the squad shaping up the way it is, I don't see us being involved in the relegation battle that so many have already mentioned

In an ideal world Id rather he stayed too. But with a tight squad Im quite happy we use the money elsewhere

It's been a drawn out affair regarding Weatherston.

I feel a bit sorry for him in that he seemed poised to get offered something, before the manager came in and thought otherwise.

He's obviously still been involved since then, but this outcome has now looked likely for a long time.

It's a decision I can understand, but I wouldn't have been sorry were it reversed either.

See people who can't spell his name and mix him up with Weatherson though; these are the people I can't forgive.

IT'S NOT DIFFICULT!

Its been alluded to on MAD - theres even a "bring back Weatherson" thread :rolleyes: Cant say Im overly surprised, or that bothered, to be honest. Hope he finds another club and Id prefer it not to be a first division club! As much as Im not overly fussed that hes gone, I think he's a player who would come back to haunt us.

So, if the rumoured signings do sign, plus MCusker (hey lets be optimistic :lol: ) then we'd be lining up something like this

Johnston

Alan Reid

McLaughlin

McCann

McCusker

Theres also a lot of flexibility there too. McGuffie, Reid and Higgins can play centre back or full back. McCann can also play right back or, pretty much, anywhere in the midfield. McLaughlin and Johnston could play in the middle or out wide in midfield. Both Clark and Carmichael could also play up front.

That would be more than decent, and easily good enough to stay in the league. I'm sure we'll get the rest of the signing news over the next day or two. If 'your' squad comes to pass then we'll even have a bit of depth with two or three of the U19s definitely capable of a place on the bench. From what little I have seen of McShane, Degnan and Reilly they all look good players. I also really liked the look of Orsi and wish him a speedy recovery.

My only slight concern remains Chris Higgins at left back as I just don't think he's very comfortable in that position. I haven't seen Clark play so I can't comment on him, but he does not appear to be a left winger per se. Gus has certainly gathered together a squad of flexible players which was an absolute necessity considering the budgetary constraints.

That would be more than decent, and easily good enough to stay in the league. I'm sure we'll get the rest of the signing news over the next day or two. If 'your' squad comes to pass then we'll even have a bit of depth with two or three of the U19s definitely capable of a place on the bench. From what little I have seen of McShane, Degnan and Reilly they all look good players. I also really liked the look of Orsi and wish him a speedy recovery.

My only slight concern remains Chris Higgins at left back as I just don't think he's very comfortable in that position. I haven't seen Clark play so I can't comment on him, but he does not appear to be a left winger per se. Gus has certainly gathered together a squad of flexible players which was an absolute necessity considering the budgetary constraints.

Yeah, I deliberately left out the "kids" to see what the squad looked like without them, but you're right the ones you mention certainly look good enough to make a contribution through the season.

Im presuming Higgins will be left back, but I guess it could just as easily be Alan Reid who starts there. That would mean Campbell, Higgins and Craig Reid (thanks Gus for signing two defenders with the same name :rolleyes: ) competing for two centre back places. I cant see Campbell and Higgins coming to the club to sit on the bench and, surely, he wouldnt even contemplate dropping Reid?

Of course, maybe we're going to play 3 at the back :lol:

Johnston

Alan Reid

McLaughlin

McCann

McCusker

Potentially a decent enough squad with some flexibilty albeit as you say dependant on a number of possible signings still being made. We currently have IMHO a substandard keeper with no 2nd keeper. I`ll reserve judgement until some further signings confirmed.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer