The Queen of the South thread

Remember Kevin McCann being very highly thought of a few years ago at Hibs so would be happy enough with that signing, also on another thread I mentioned I thought Higgins would be targetted and imo this would be a wise move by Gus as he is just the type of player we require in this league. As for Brighton (god no) He was utterly garbage for both Dundee and Stirling last season and didn't score a single goal despite making a fair number of appearances. I remember commenting on how awful he looked when at Stirling so I just hope he doesn't replace Holmer as our "striker"

You mean he would be worse than Holmes!! God help us!

Yeah, Northfield 53 posted some other names, then deleted his post :huh:

Sorry about that Mr X must have deleted by mistake better late that never names

Sean Murdoch ex Hamilton Goalkeeper

Darren Smith

Kevin McCann ex Hibs

Alan Reid ex Ton

Chris Higgins ex Par

Tom Brighton ex Stirling

Scott McLaughlin ex Airdrie

Adam Strachan ex Partick

Mark Campbell ex Raith

Hutton was not at training looks like he is away.

Brighton was good on the rare occasion he turned out for us. Surprised he didn't do well last season. If Gus can get him playing well then he'd be a good signing.

Gus used him wide left a few times and he looked good there too.

Alan Reid was a decent first division player for us and could do a job down the right or the left if required - guessing that sort of versatility could come in quite handy with a small squad.

Don't think he's played for anyone since he left Morton last year though :unsure:

Brighton turned in one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a centre forward when we beat Stirling 3-0. Injuries have pretty much wrecked him.

Watched Stirling Albion a few times last season whilst up there at uni and have to say that Brighton was absolutely murder. Slow, no aerial threat and offered nothing in front of goal. As said, looks like that injury could have finished him. Would be surprised if Queens opted for him. Then again, better that than a return for another of MacPherson's old boys Stewart Kean. Nobody wants that.

The names listed above don't set the heather on fire IMHO, however I think we should trust Gus' judgement. It's the reason he's a football manager and none of us are!

I thought Darren Smith was quite promising in the... 80 mins I saw of him last season. Far too soft for a big lad though. Keep him fit and away from chopper left-backs and he might be fine.

Which left back has inflicted injury upon him?

also tom brighton apparently, was he not the guy at stirling last season?

Sorry, but oh dear, Tom Brighton, surely not, coo's erse and banjo spring to mind, he had a brief trial with us last season.

Scott McLaughlin is...well, Scott McLaughlin, a bit lightweight, doesn't like to tackle, is brutal with shots, taking corners and free kicks but is a great passer of the ball.

Was Mark Campbell down at the session as well ?

Sorry, but oh dear, Tom Brighton, surely not, coo's erse and banjo spring to mind, he had a brief trial with us last season.

Scott McLaughlin is...well, Scott McLaughlin, a bit lightweight, doesn't like to tackle, is brutal with shots, taking corners and free kicks but is a great passer of the ball.

Was Mark Campbell down at the session as well ?

Yeah pretty sure Campbell was there

Indeed, are his stats on Wikipedia accurate. Only 9 goals in 84 appearances. He maybe should change his job title from 'striker' as he clearly is not one!

Which left back has inflicted injury upon him?

None of them. He just appears to be made of Play-doh, so one hit and he's likely to crumble into a heap, and out for three months with an injury.

McCann and Higgins would be the only ones i'd be happy with from that list. The rest would be pretty poor signings imo.

Be careful before writing off players before youve seen them play, you have previous for this remember! lets be realistic here there arent going to be any star studded players out there for us to sign so we might as well get used to the idea that were going to be signing players who didnt flourish last season in their clubs. lets not forget our friends S. Dobbie and R. Harris who didnt exactly set the grass on fire and St johnstone and clyde. why dont we let gus do his job and stop expecting this massive name to walk through the door.