The Queen of the South thread

Corr was another whose head screwed his career up. He was a good keeper before he came to us but a horror fumble in his first game saw fans lose confidence in him (plus Scott was a crowd favourite). He just went to pieces after that. I could almost forgive everything for that performance the night we beat Dundee on penalties though. He was magnificent that night.

The Corr situation was odd. I thought he was a cracking 'keeper for Stranraer and was delighted when we signed him. He started badly and was really not helped by McCall's attitude thereafter in criticising him publicly and dropping him.

In that Dundee game I was really pleased for him. He was the hero of the shoot-out, but showed how stressed he'd been by reacting angrily at the end. Even in that game he got lucky. In extra time, he missed an easy cross, but got away with it as it eluded attackers. I was sad that it never happened for him with us. He was on the verge of being very good in his career, before it all got away from him. I suppose it shows how important confidence is in football generally, and goalkeeping particulaly.

I didn't start watching Queens regularly until 1985. That was however whilst we were still at school together. I don't have another clubs badge tattooed on me either though. :P (Fifteen all on the silly wee points scoring? ;) )

I have no recollection at all of Brian Noonan but I may have confused the names from the programmes in the back of my mind. On checking up you are right, Nolan left at the end of the 84/85 season. Noonan was still here in 85/86 though. He disappears from squad lists between November 2nd and November 16th 1985 so must have been released in that period.

Mills and Shields have both been mentioned, though Shields means nothing at all to me. Presume he was pre-85 too?

Good answer Ewan . Yes , that pesky tattoo that I regret big time .-----------Shields was season 79-80 so far too early for you mate --------------Noonan definitely did not play in nets in our promotion season of 85-86 but I recall him having some very good games the previous season . Davidson , G. Robertson , Parker , Hetherington and Sim / Gervaise was our rock solid defence as you will recall as we finished second to Dunfermilne . --------------------By the way , I have great pre 85 knowledge of Queens so you can use me as a reference point any time you want to .

Noonan definitely did not play in nets in our promotion season of 85-86 but I recall him having some very good games the previous season . Davidson , G. Robertson , Parker , Hetherington and Sim / Gervaise was our rock solid defence as you will recall as we finished second to Dunfermilne .

I know he didn't play. But according to the programmes he was still part of the squad up to November.

We really should have won that division in 86. How we chucked it away after gubbing Dunfermline here in April is still beyond me.

What's it of then?

You're going to have to confess - you might find it cathartic.

He's been in the paper with it before so it's hardly a big secret. Put it this way, his forearms were an amusing talking point in the run up to the Scottish Cup semi final. ;)

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Good answer Ewan . Yes , that pesky tattoo that I regret big time .-----------Shields was season 79-80 so far too early for you mate --------------Noonan definitely did not play in nets in our promotion season of 85-86 but I recall him having some very good games the previous season . Davidson , G. Robertson , Parker , Hetherington and Sim / Gervaise was our rock solid defence as you will recall as we finished second to Dunfermilne . --------------------By the way , I have great pre 85 knowledge of Queens so you can use me as a reference point any time you want to .

Hammer, how about getting it covered over with something? Davie raes hairdo would do it!

Or Claire's picture? ;)

By far the worst keeper ive seen at palmerston was Jamie Campbell, absolute bombscare and i still will never forget the day he tried to guide a ball round the post v clydebank at cappielow and the ball went into the net!

on the mackenzie situation bar it being a total f**k up by our secretary he'd of been on the scrapheap by now! i reckon FC_1919 has got better movement. im sure it wont be long before mackenzie is found out.

By far the worst keeper ive seen at palmerston was Jamie Campbell, absolute bombscare and i still will never forget the day he tried to guide a ball round the post v clydebank at cappielow and the ball went into the net!

on the mackenzie situation bar it being a total f**k up by our secretary he'd of been on the scrapheap by now! i reckon FC_1919 has got better movement. im sure it wont be long before mackenzie is found out.

Hoy was worse than Campbell but I recall that Clydebank incident. :lol:

The second part is utter rubbish though.

If you're talking about poor keepers, how about former Saint Kris Robertson? Gus must have been delighted when you signed him ahead of his first game as our caretaker manager. Sure enough, we won 2-1 with Ricky Gillies scoring a free-kick that put Ronaldinho's to shame.

How did I forget Kris Robertson? Dreadful keeper who only made 2 trialist appearances for us (if memory serves me correctly). I remember him losing a goal directly from a corner in his 1st game & sure the same thing happened in his 2nd. Sure he's playing in junior league these days.

Jim Butter was another keeper who was pretty hopeless. Jamie Campbell I just didn't think was ever cut out for the senior game.

How did I forget Kris Robertson? Dreadful keeper who only made 2 trialist appearances for us (if memory serves me correctly). I remember him losing a goal directly from a corner in his 1st game & sure the same thing happened in his 2nd. Sure he's playing in junior league these days.

He played two games as a Trialist. These two:

Queens 1 - 2 St Mirren

Inverness 4 - 1 Queens

According to tthe reports he didn't lose a goal direct from a corner in either. However, in the first he lost a goal direct from a free kick out wide that was probably intended as a cross. In the second he missed a corner completely and allowed McCaffrey to nod over the line standing behind him. You're close enough!

He played two games as a Trialist. These two:

Queens 1 - 2 St Mirren

Inverness 4 - 1 Queens

According to tthe reports he didn't lose a goal direct from a corner in either. However, in the first he lost a goal direct from a free kick out wide that was probably intended as a cross. In the second he missed a corner completely and allowed McCaffrey to nod over the line standing behind him. You're close enough!

Just a pity Robertson wasn't. :ph34r:

Would be happy with that, I've not heard anything though.

Edit - I see via Twitter it's Campbell, interesting.

Will be interesting to see if he's still got the legs to play at this level. As much as I like Campbell, I wouldn't be expecting him to be able to play 30 or 40 games in a season. He will certainly be good at dealing with a big centre forward but doesn't have the pace to deal with someone with pace any more.

Will be interesting to see if he's still got the legs to play at this level. As much as I like Campbell, I wouldn't be expecting him to be able to play 30 or 40 games in a season. He will certainly be good at dealing with a big centre forward but doesn't have the pace to deal with someone with pace any more.

We have Craig Reid who has the pace to deal with someone with pace because we all know how difficult it can be for a defender with no pace to handle an attacker with pace.

Mark Campbell NEVER had any pace.

I thought he was brilliant your first season back up, as you say the injury/crash took it's toll a wee bit IMO.

The worst keeper ever to wear a Queens shirt was David "Speedy" Clark, the ones mentioned above were International class compared to him.

Nice bloke mind. :blink:

Jim Butter was another keeper who was pretty hopeless. Jamie Campbell I just didn't think was ever cut out for the senior game.

He was at Pollok - I saw him against St Cuthbert Wanderers in the 2007 Scottish Cup and he was honking, making a complete arse of the only two things he had to do all afternoon

Funny to think between leaving us and "trialing" at you he had a trial at Celtic and was offered a three month contract - only to turn it down :lol::o

He was at Pollok - I saw him against St Cuthbert Wanderers in the 2007 Scottish Cup and he was honking, making a complete arse of the only two things he had to do all afternoon

Funny to think between leaving us and "trialing" at you he had a trial at Celtic and was offered a three month contract - only to turn it down :lol::o

Was his dad not his agent or something? He had an utterly delusional idea of his son's worth.

That game against St Mirren was a sore one. We'd been top and had the chance to go back there as we neared December. Our failure in that match sent us backwards.