The Queen of the South thread

Willing to give Simmons a chance, just hoping he puts in a decent shift for the south when he is used, hopefully this doesn't mean that we will be playing negative 451 football this season. On topic about McKenzie, I was all for him until the game against Dunfermline where he was shocking. Lost faith in him. But it's a new season so willing to give him a chance, once again. People saying about homers lack of goals, yes lack of goals last season but the season before that, if it wasn't for him and his goals and his assists we would of been in trouble!

As regards the 'keepers, I'd prefer Hutton to MacKenzie on balance, but not by miles. Whilst Hutton is younger and in many ways more capable, there's no doubt that he has flaws too. I don't see us as being massively disadvantaged by having MacKenzie next season.

While the guy from Albion Rovers will need tp prove himself at this level, I like the sound of a defender who can put together a run of appearances by avoiding injury and suspension. I suppose it's the type of signing we need Gus to be making. Of course, there's an element of gamble about it, but I'm fairly confident that he knows what he's doing.

For now.

Unlike the fine specimen of health and fitness that was Andy Goram when he played for us.

Goram had class and presence. McKenzie certainly does not possess the former, although may have some of the latter.

:huh: I haven't seen anyone condemning Hutton.*

McKenzie's distribution is fine. Better than Hutton's certainly. I've no idea who you were watching but his kicking is decent too.**

Well the bit about worst kicking ever seen appears to be made up certainly!**

Your stats prove not a lot. McKenzie was in goals when the team had clearly chucked it for the last month or so (apart from the final week when they decided they had a point to prove.**

* MAD website.

** Yes, I have just decided to make something up to help my arguement along. That's what I do dry.gif . I cannot remember what game it was but his kicking was absolutely shocking, he barely reached the half way line all game and the height was scarily low. I was in the East Stand at the time and he was getting a fair slating for it.

*** Well the stats suggest he concedes more goals per game than the other two :huh:. Interesting that they had packed it in the last month but the final week when Hutton went back in goal they decided to start playing again :rolleyes:

Goram had class and presence. McKenzie certainly does not possess the former, although may have some of the latter.

A totally separate and I suppose irrelevant discussion, but I wish we'd never had anything to do with Goram.

Some have reservations about a new director who once supported Rangers, yet here we employed a guy who was photographed among terrorist trappings and wore an armband in memory of a bigoted brute.

Back to the football argument, he was way past it and pretty uninterested on the field, apparently reluctant to get his kit dirty.

He was clearly signed as some statement of intent on the back of our promotion, but he exploited the club's goodwill in playing no part off the field once injured and he'd offered little when fit.

I know others see it differently, but I wish we'd never gone near him.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Back to the football argument, he was way past it and pretty uninterested on the field, apparently reluctant to get his kit dirty.

He was clearly signed as some statement of intent on the back of our promotion but, he exploited the club's goodwill in playing no part off the field once injured and he'd offered little when fit.

I can't remember many games in which he featured bar one. It was against St Johnstone at home, they had been relegated the season before. We drew 0-0 and I put it mainly down to an utstanding game by Goram. He had his cons but I think it's a tad unfair on him to say he was uninterested on the park.

I can't remember many games in which he featured bar one. It was against St Johnstone at home, they had been relegated the season before. We drew 0-0 and I put it mainly down to an utstanding game by Goram. He had his cons but I think it's a tad unfair on him to say he was uninterested on the park.

I remember the game you're talking about, but I don't think I'm merely being selective in failing to recall him doing anything that notable.

My memories of him involve his failing to dive for anything near the corners. He could still command his box well, make good decisions and position himself, but he no longer made great saves.

I'm not saying he performed disastrously - he didn't.

However, he was no better than what we had (Scott), much more expensive and the sort of guy I'd rather not see my club employing.

Might well be who I was thinking of. Time frame is about right. I knew there was someone with a name like that and a move involving Albion Rovers. Appears the move was the other way then. :lol:

85/86 was my first season watching and he was a fringe player who rarely made the first team. I'll forgive myself the sketchy memories.

Pretty certain Tommy Nolan didn`t make any appearances in 85-6 so must have been away at end of 84-5. Another in a long line of dreadful Qos forwards .-------------- I reckon the Noonan that you are thnking about was Brian ( Sharkey) Noonan . A Kirconnel/ Kelloholm boy who was a decent keeper . He was also away at the end of 84-5.-----------------Don`t know if these have been mentioned but Dougie Mills and Duncan Shields signed from the Wee Rovers.ps Not surprised you got these guys mixed up as you weren`t into Queens at all when we were at Dumfries High together ;) Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

I remember the game you're talking about, but I don't think I'm merely being selective in failing to recall him doing anything that notable.

My memories of him involve his failing to dive for anything near the corners. He could still command his box well, make good decisions and position himself, but he no longer made great saves.

I'm not saying he performed disastrously - he didn't.

However, he was no better than what we had (Scott), much more expensive and the sort of guy I'd rather not see my club employing.

Yeah I would agree with what your are saying. Scott was far better and it was purely the name that got Goram starting. I always felt sorry for Scott being dropped for the Challenge Cup Final.

I just recall him having a blinder against Saints and felt it only right to comment on it :)

It is fair to say that Goram's best years were behind him when he arrived at Queens. However saying he was uninterested is somewhat harsh. He had some good performances & some not so good ones with the odd flash of the keeper he had been. I can't recall him ever giving it anything lesse than his best shot. He came with a fair amount of baggage (namely his private life), but in a footballing sense we have employed plenty worse keepers down the years. Anyone remember Derrick Hoy? Or John Burridge & more recently Barry John Corr.

Pretty certain Tommy Nolan didn`t make any appearances in 85-6 so must have been away at end of 84-5. Another in a long line of dreadful Qos forwards .-------------- I reckon the Noonan that you are thnking about was Brian ( Sharkey) Noonan . A Kirconnel/ Kelloholm boy who was a decent keeper . He was also away at the end of 84-5.-----------------Don`t know if these have been mentioned but Dougie Mills and Duncan Shields signed from the Wee Rovers.ps Not surprised you got these guys mixed up as you weren`t into Queens at all when we were at Dumfries High together ;)

I didn't start watching Queens regularly until 1985. That was however whilst we were still at school together. I don't have another clubs badge tattooed on me either though. :P (Fifteen all on the silly wee points scoring? ;) )

I have no recollection at all of Brian Noonan but I may have confused the names from the programmes in the back of my mind. On checking up you are right, Nolan left at the end of the 84/85 season. Noonan was still here in 85/86 though. He disappears from squad lists between November 2nd and November 16th 1985 so must have been released in that period.

Mills and Shields have both been mentioned, though Shields means nothing at all to me. Presume he was pre-85 too?

* MAD website.

** Yes, I have just decided to make something up to help my arguement along. That's what I do dry.gif . I cannot remember what game it was but his kicking was absolutely shocking, he barely reached the half way line all game and the height was scarily low. I was in the East Stand at the time and he was getting a fair slating for it.

*** Well the stats suggest he concedes more goals per game than the other two :huh:. Interesting that they had packed it in the last month but the final week when Hutton went back in goal they decided to start playing again :rolleyes:

I look at MAD reasonably often. I haven't seen a queue of people writing off Hutton on the back of one enormous cock up.

There was one game where McKenzie had a couple of poor kicks at Palmerston. I recall the crowd getting on his back for it but it wasn't typical any more than Hutton losing the ball whilst trying to dribble round forwards is. McKenzie's kicking is considerably better than Hutton's in general I'd say.

Hutton wasn't back in goal at Raith. McKenzie played it. Hutts only played the final game when frankly you or I could have been in goal for all he had to do during it.

He was clearly signed as some statement of intent on the back of our promotion, but he exploited the club's goodwill in playing no part off the field once injured and he'd offered little when fit.

I know others see it differently, but I wish we'd never gone near him.

And I know we've had this debate before and I couldnt disagree with you much more in general. You are absolutely right about his conduct after his season was ended though and it probably cost him an additional contract. I would wholeheartedly disagree though about the goodwill part whilst he was fit. When he was playing and interested Goram was generally happy and willing to do anything he was asked in the name of club pr.

Yeah I would agree with what your are saying. Scott was far better and it was purely the name that got Goram starting. I always felt sorry for Scott being dropped for the Challenge Cup Final.

For the last time Scott was NOT dropped for the Challenge Cup Final. Well, he was, but not because of anything to do with Goram. Connolly intention was always to play Scott in that game. He was dropped because the fortnight before he called off injured at the last minute and refused to turn out against Dundee at Dens, leaving a teenager to make his debut that night and Jon Crawford to sit on the bench as sub keeper. Goram had been injured (thigh injury inflicted by Robbie Henderson, his own centre half, in a collision) and wasn't really ready to return but was rushed back to play the next league game and kept his place for the cup final. Connolly was fizzing at Scott for the call off and left him out of the Cup Final as punishment.

It is fair to say that Goram's best years were behind him when he arrived at Queens. However saying he was uninterested is somewhat harsh. He had some good performances & some not so good ones with the odd flash of the keeper he had been. I can't recall him ever giving it anything lesse than his best shot. He came with a fair amount of baggage (namely his private life), but in a footballing sense we have employed plenty worse keepers down the years. Anyone remember Derrick Hoy? Or John Burridge & more recently Barry John Corr.

Derek Hoy was the worst keeper I've seen at Queens. Burridge was a basket case and should never have been let in the door by that age.

Corr was another whose head screwed his career up. He was a good keeper before he came to us but a horror fumble in his first game saw fans lose confidence in him (plus Scott was a crowd favourite). He just went to pieces after that. I could almost forgive everything for that performance the night we beat Dundee on penalties though. He was magnificent that night.

Had forgotten or hadn't realised those other guys signed from Albion. Alcohol does affect the brain cells after so many years.

Mind yoy, they were all mince with the possible exception of Des.

If you're talking about poor keepers, how about former Saint Kris Robertson? Gus must have been delighted when you signed him ahead of his first game as our caretaker manager. Sure enough, we won 2-1 with Ricky Gillies scoring a free-kick that put Ronaldinho's to shame.

I would wholeheartedly disagree though about the goodwill part whilst he was fit. When he was playing and interested Goram was generally happy and willing to do anything he was asked in the name of club pr. , but n

My meaning was unclear. What I meant was that when fit, he didn't offer enough to justify signing him. I was referring entirely here to his performances on the field, which while not dreadful, were not in my view that good.

If you're talking about poor keepers, how about former Saint Kris Robertson? Gus must have been delighted when you signed him ahead of his first game as our caretaker manager. Sure enough, we won 2-1 with Ricky Gillies scoring a free-kick that put Ronaldinho's to shame.

Kris Robertson was bloody dreadful. His two match trial period saw two losses, for which he was heavily to blame and we dropped from top of the division and never got back there again. I still blame him for costing us a title challenge that year. I tend not to count him as a Queens keeper though as we never actually signed him.

My meaning was unclear. What I meant was that when fit, he didn't offer enough to justify signing him. I was referring entirely here to his performances on the field, which while not dreadful, were not in my view that good.

Fair enough. I thought he did well enough. No better or worse than Scott but I'll accept he wasn't exceptional.