The Queen of the South thread

Is that a good thing that all the shares are bought up, can anyone explain the situation and what it means ?

I'm not sure it's particularly either good or bad. It is what it is!

Basically the club has an authorised share capital of 150,000 shares. At 31st May 2010 per the published accounts 144,836 had been issued over the previous 91 years. I don't have access to the list from the November annual return to hand but it probably wasn't that different at that point. Sometime between then and now the remaining 5,164 have been sold (raising just over £75k at £15 each).

What it means quite simply as things stand is we can't sell any more. That does mean a potential source of income has ceased of course. Supporters can't buy new shares from the club any more. So the days of popping into the office at Palmerston and getting someone some shares as a birthday or xmas gift are over.

It will still be theoretically possible to buy shares from someone else who already owns them of course.

It is possible for the club to call a special meeting and vote to increase the share capital again should they so wish. That would probably require a 'rights issue' though and some legal expenses. I've no idea at this point if it's something that will be considered in the short term or not. It would require a significant majority of existing shareholders to agree to it though. Not sure what the current Companies Act says about that. It used to require 75% to vote for it but it may not now. I'd have to check.

Although the recent project to try to trace heirs of missing and deceased shareholders where possible is something I've been intending to do for some time, part of the motivation for doing it then was the knowledge that the shares would soon be sold out.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Big mistake to let Weatherston go in my view. Given the previous manager publically declared his lack of faith in the player I thought DW did well last season.

Decent scoring record from limited starts. Given a manager who believed in him I think he could be a real asset.

I agree. He has his faults, but if he didn't he wouldn't be playing in the Scottish first div.

Overall I think he is an asset.

Simmons is one signing I would not be impressed with. Lazy and workshy. Not an especially good passer of the ball either.

Nonsense. He has his faults but he can pick a pass well. He also isn't as workshy as he gets stick for. Always looks for the pass, sometimes gets caught looking for it right enough, but he won't just kick it anywhere. I think we'll miss his ball retention. A steady if unspectacular signing IMO. You'd be as well ignoring any "reviews" from Dunfermline fans as he left them, what, five years ago? And they utterly detest him.

I expect he'll take stick at Stark's Park but then he took stick from "that" section of the crowd while he played for us because he didn't run about like a headless chicken.

Got a lot of unfair criticism

Get used to it, he'll get plenty criticism over the next season (some justified, much of it not). He doesn't run around like a headless chicken, so most of it will be due to his perceived laziness.

On the whole, he's an average player - his passing is good and he actually looks for a pass rather than just punting it away, but he does get caught in possession a few times because of this. He won't offer much of a threat going forward, though, and don't expect him to contribute with goals. Provided there's an attack-minded midfielder alongside him, he should be able to do a decent job.

He'll have a few games where he'll be immense, but those games are few and far between. On the limited viewings I've seen of Rocco Quinn, I'd certainly say Quinn is much better player, and I'd assume it's him that Simmons will be expected to replace.

It is going to take some getting used to, all the following players have faults, Quinn, McLaren, Holmes, Lilley, Harris, Hutton and Burns but we are not going to get any players with anything like as much ability IMO.

I know the feeling only too well, the same thing has happened to us. Tadé, Campbell, Simmons and Wilson had their flaws, but with what's available we can't replace these guys the way we would like to.

This season will show up some harsh truths for lower league football in Scotland. There's no money in the game.

I don't rate Simmons either, with my views based on his previous spell with the club. If he has indeed signed, I can only hope that I am more impressed this time around.

You'd be as well ignoring any "reviews" from Dunfermline fans as he left them, what, five years ago? And they utterly detest him.

Simmons is a lazy gutless waste of space who is nowhere as good as he thinks he is.

Aye, eh, like that. Ignore the utter dog shit the Pars fans will feed you about him. Simmons is comfortably of 1st Division standard.

Aye, eh, like that. Ignore the utter dog shit the Pars fans will feed you about him. Simmons is comfortably of 1st Division standard.

That says more about the standard of the First Division than it does the ability of Simmons. Simmons is a fucking charlatan and I'll be shocked if he is anything but a complete failure at QOS.

George O'Boyle was a fantastic player but a complete dick, just because we dislike some players it doesn't mean we're blinkered when it comes to their abilities.

Somewhat pisses on your bonfire there Hank.

I havent read all the pages in this thread but does anyone know if David Weatherson has been offered a new contract at Queen of the South?

Hope so, said in our local paper last week he had been but evrythings went quiet on that front. if he doesnt stay he is one who will without a shadow of a doubt come back to haunt us if he signs for someone else in our division.

I have no bother in admitting players who are dicks, to be good players.

That Maguire who played for Aberdeen last season? total fucking bellend, good player though.

That Stephen Simmons who played for Raith last season? total fucking bellend who is the most lazy workyshy waste of a fucking shirt to have played for Dunfermline, he is fucking honking, only reason Raith fans thought he was a "decent passer" was because they were so used to the whole punting it into the channels that a player even attempting a pass would seem decent. He's fucking horrid at passing aswell btw.

I'm in the "Simmons is honking" camp as well. An absolute passenger during his time with us. Games just seem to pass him by and he appears to have no motivation to try and get involved to rectify this. I hope we sign some strikers who can create chances for themselves because a midfield of McKenna and Simmons offers nothing in a creative sense.