The Queen of the South thread

I don't "know" anything as I'm away on holiday right now (and if I did I wouldn't post it) but I'd presume if we've pointedly announced that three players are being released then we've probably made some sort of offer to the rest of them. I'd be surprised if it was one any of them will be desperate to take without testing the market elsewhere though. Still, it's encouraging that we've presumably shown the intent to at least try to keep some of them even if it's a foregone conclusion that Harris, Burns and probably Hutton for a start will move upwards.

As for the three to have been released:

McLaren - I'm in FC_1919's camp on that one. I don't dispute that at times his demeanour on pitch is somewhat "disappointing" and I also wouldn't disagree that his performances since the turn of the year have been generally very average. Never the less, he was the one player in the squad capable of doing something completely out of the ordinary and changing the game. Stephen Dobbie? No, but unpredictable and, when in the mood, almost as unplayable. He did on occasion win games for us single handedly (3-0 v Raith last season, 2-0 v Dunfermline this season to name but two very obvious ones). His form when Brannigan first took over was exceptional for a few months. It hasn't been great latterly though. That said even then he dragged us through the Partick Thistle home game (3-3) without playing remotely well. He was that kind of player. I'd like to have kept him but won't be crying over it.

Holmes - Very under-rated performer in his first season with us when he scored a fair few goals and was a funnel for most attacking things we did. Hasn't worked out remotely as well for him this past season and it was probably time to part ways on that front. I would defend him but a lot of the defence was really based on showings the season before. Nice guy, all the best wherever he ends up but right decision to let him go.

Lilley - Just not sure about him. Player of the year in season before this and deserved it. Injured in pre-season and hasn't been very good at all this season. Partly he's not been fit and partly he clearly doesn't flourish in a back three which Brannigan persisted with. However none of that explains the constant poor decision making, stupid unnecessary challenges and constant pulling that he got away with more often than not. As others have suggested, he did certainly improve at the back end of the season and especially in the last few games when we played a back four again. I think he might have another year in him at this level in a back four and as such I'm a wee bit disappointed he's away.

Refards a manager, dont be surprised if you get McCall back ;)

Ive no idea how popular he was when he was previously there, but the fact that he seems to be going nowhere I think its a risk worth taking. I had a lot of time for him at Thistle.

Ive no idea how popular he was when he was previously there, but the fact that he seems to be going nowhere I think its a risk worth taking. I had a lot of time for him at Thistle.

No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No

No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No

x1000.

McCall won't be back at Palmerston. If Brannigan goes then I would like to see either Jimmy Nichol or Brain Reid appointed. We've no chance of geting Reidy if Ayr are promoted, and I have not an earthly what Nichol's situation is at Cowdenbeath. I'd also welcome Gus McPherson although doubt he would be tempted to work on a shoestring budget in Dumfries. I'm struggling to think of any other realistic alternatives.

x1000.

McCall won't be back at Palmerston. If Brannigan goes then I would like to see either Jimmy Nichol or Brain Reid appointed. We've no chance of geting Reidy if Ayr are promoted, and I have not an earthly what Nichol's situation is at Cowdenbeath. I'd also welcome Gus McPherson although doubt he would be tempted to work on a shoestring budget in Dumfries. I'm struggling to think of any other realistic alternatives.

I guess, given that managers will be feeling the effects of the cutbacks the same as the players, that there would be plenty of interest in the job. What quality of candidate we would get is a whole other story

The Standard has Burnsys agent saying that Burnsy has been contacted by Davie Rae and offered a deal on less money, I would think that's him off.

Given the current financial situation that does not surprise me. Am sure everyone at the club is gutted that they couldn't offer him more especially given how many years he's been at Palmerston. Good luck to him wherever he ends up.

Nothing surprises me at Queens anymore, its an absolute shambles.Quite how the club could be in such a mess is beyond me.

The accountants on the board should have seen the mess that was coming,but none had the balls to tell Davy Rae, or to stand up to him.meanwhile he has been allowed to do what he wanted.

An utter utter SHAMBLES.

That's the way I am looking at it, sticking to a budget is good.

Sadly losing some good players, but hopefully keep some of them as thats the nature of the beast. The best older players like Lilley will leave, players like Burnsy and Harris will get deals with other clubs on the good money as they are top players and then others may not have other FT (or first divison offers) and will stay.

Gutted to be losing players and think it is shocking we don't have a manager in place, as the budget is there for him to decide on the players needed.

See, thats the bit I dont really understand, and I think Ive said it on here before.

Theres no reason to say we cant afford player x or player y. If there was an overall wage budget it should then be up to the manager to decide how to spend that budget. If he wants to offer one particular player, or even several players, high wages then whats the problem with it, as long as he sticks to the overall budget. As I think I said on here before, 10 players on £1000 a week cost the same as 20 players on £500 a week.

The way we're going about it and offering everyone reduced terms, without the input from a manager, just seems crazy

Nothing surprises me at Queens anymore, its an absolute shambles.Quite how the club could be in such a mess is beyond me.

The accountants on the board should have seen the mess that was coming,but none had the balls to tell Davy Rae, or to stand up to him.meanwhile he has been allowed to do what he wanted.

An utter utter SHAMBLES.

How do you know they havent? Given that Rae is the majority shareholder, by some considerable margin, Im not sure the other members of the BoD could, realistically, stop him doing what he wants.

The way we're going about it and offering everyone reduced terms, without the input from a manager, just seems crazy

Perhaps, and this is pure speculation on my part, the future manager has given the BoD some input into players etc but nothing can be made public because the future manager is still under contract to another club? As I said, pure speculation.

Perhaps, and this is pure speculation on my part, the future manager has given the BoD some input into players etc but nothing can be made public because the future manager is still under contract to another club? As I said, pure speculation.

I would say unlikely. Given that we know Burns and McMenamin asked about the manager situation and were told nothing, Id be very surprised if someone is already in place to come in.

Also, Rae was quoted in the Standard last week as knowing the players he wanted to keep

See, thats the bit I dont really understand, and I think Ive said it on here before.

Theres no reason to say we cant afford player x or player y. If there was an overall wage budget it should then be up to the manager to decide how to spend that budget. If he wants to offer one particular player, or even several players, high wages then whats the problem with it, as long as he sticks to the overall budget. As I think I said on here before, 10 players on £1000 a week cost the same as 20 players on £500 a week.

Seems like the the board are offering contracts to existing players at a level which they pretty much know they won't accept. Ideally I'd like to have a new manager in place now but I doubt that would have any effect on us keeping existing players. Nothing wrong with the board putting a sensible wage structure in place, I'd imagine there won't be enough wiggle room for somebody new to go '15 expensive players or 20 cheap players', it'll probably be more like '15 cheap players or nothing'.

Seems like the the board are offering contracts to existing players at a level which they pretty much know they won't accept. Ideally I'd like to have a new manager in place now but I doubt that would have any effect on us keeping existing players. Nothing wrong with the board putting a sensible wage structure in place, I'd imagine there won't be enough wiggle room for somebody new to go '15 expensive players or 20 cheap players', it'll probably be more like '15 cheap players or nothing'.

I fear you might be right, in which case we could be in serious trouble next season.

The point about a budget, at this level, is that a little could go a long way. If the manager thought some of the young players were ready, he might choose to go with 14 players, rather than 15. That extra few hundred pounds a week could then be used to get a couple of "better" players in

Clearly we're not going to be able to outbid any other clubs with these new contracts. So the only way a player is going to sign with Queens now is if he wants to come for another reason, eg. Wants to work under the manager, happy training in Glasgow (or Dumfries?!?), wants to play with fellow colleagues etc.

We can't offer answers to any of these questions while many other clubs can. Nobody in their right mind is going to sign for queens when they don't know who the manager is, where training is going to be or (give me strength!) whether we're FT or PT. So any club which offers the same money or perhaps even slightly less is going to get the player's signature.

Next season is a tall order in any case, so we need to be getting a manager in at the very least who can start to plan!

Lets just hope that Rae is waiting until after the Ayr Utd playoff.

Otherwise this is becoming a shambles!

Any truth in this rumour that Brannigan is to become no2 at Falkirk?

Edited by BIGdavieT