The Queen of the South thread

Now on official site Derek Holmes , David Lilley , Willie McLaren has been released

With McMenamin already away and Burns also going thats 5 out.

No mention of any of the other out of contract players or the coaching staff.

I am a little concerened that the BOD are making playing decisions that really should be left to a Manager

Theres been no confirmation that Burns has gone anywhere yet.

McMenamin aside, those are three players who I wouldnt have lost too much sleep over losing under normal circumstances. Althought, with McMenamin and Holmes gone that does leave a pretty big hole to fill up front

Theres been no confirmation that Burns has gone anywhere yet.

McMenamin aside, those are three players who I wouldnt have lost too much sleep over losing under normal circumstances. Althought, with McMenamin and Holmes gone that does leave a pretty big hole to fill up front

Quite literally in Holmes's case.

What happened to McLaren, he used to be really good when he was at Airdrie. Is he (or Lilley whom I'd swear Adams tried to sign) worth a punt any more, or are they destined for the second division/coaching ranks?

Quite literally in Holmes's case.

What happened to McLaren, he used to be really good when he was at Airdrie. Is he (or Lilley whom I'd swear Adams tried to sign) worth a punt any more, or are they destined for the second division/coaching ranks?

I think Lilley could probably do a job in this division, if he got a full pre-season under his belt and kept clear of injuries. McLaren? Who knows? Bags of talent, which he showed at times for us, but a horrendous attitude and has been posted missing for the last few months. I think Brannigan believed he could get the best out of him and, to be fair, probably did for a while. Could anyone else do the same? I have no idea. Maybe he'll follow Brannigan if he leaves and gets another managers gig

If you can look past McLaren's apparent lack of interest, you have a player who scores goals (joint top scorer this year for us) and sets them up. Played wing back a lot last year as well, did that well enough when I thought he wouldn't have the required dig for it.

Lilley was injured early preseason last year after being PotY the season before, struggled for fitness and form when he returned (due to squad size) and then started to come on to a game late in the season when he shook off the injury IMO.

Both still worth a go at this level IMO, as is Holmes for that matter.

I would have kept all three if finances allowed, as we won't get players of similar quality in their place. Lilley and Holmes would be commanding a serious wedge I would imagine, so no surprise there.

I dont think theres anything apparent about McLarens lack of interest <_<

Wish I was that disinterested on the park I could get 12 goals and set up a similar ammount, the boy has natural ability there is no denying that. So he doesn't run about like a headless chicken, so what he is not in the team to chase and win the ball. He played wingback a lot last year and was disiplined in that role IMO even though he has never played there.

He may throw his hands up in the air and stop when something goes against him, but I can look past that for a player with a bit of creative spark.

I wasnt referring to that. I was thinking of his more recent "performances". He has been woeful for months and, quite clearly, wasnt interested in the slightest

Now on official site Derek Holmes , David Lilley , Willie McLaren has been released

With McMenamin already away and Burns also going thats 5 out.

No mention of any of the other out of contract players or the coaching staff.

I am a little concerened that the BOD are making playing decisions that really should be left to a Manager

Sandra Broon also mentioned on the radio at lunchtime that it's not anticipated that KB will be offered a new contract.

None of the departures mentioned so far have been surprising. Burns - and partly McMenamin - apart, I can't say that they fill me with too much regret either.

I'm not as critical of Holmes as many, but I still think we need more goals from front players than he seems able to offer, even if he does have some other qualities.

I take the point about Lilley's fitness last season, but I do suspect that he's past it and I'm not convinced that he can still do it at this level.

As for McLaren, he does have talent and I don't require players to run about daft in order to appreciate them. He hasn't delivered very much of late though, and I think he's probably a bit of a ned, especially if his alleged "shithole" remarks are true.

More departures to come obviously. The interesting bit will come when we eventually get some arrivals, not least a manager.

While i think playing decisions should be made by a manager not chairman/directors I won't disagree with the players released.

Holmes = more of a target man than a striker and does not contribute enough goals and was on a high wage

Lilley = approaching the end of his career injury prone and liable to be booked or sent off was also on a high wage

McLaren = His attitude did not warrant any sort of new contract at Queens . A good player wasted by a very bad attitude. Good Riddance.

I once heard McLaren leaving Palmerston one day saying to a team mate " Lets get out of this dump " You got your wish Wullie

Sandra Broon also mentioned on the radio at lunchtime that it's not anticipated that KB will be offered a new contract.

None of the departures mentioned so far have been surprising. Burns - and partly McMenamin - apart, I can't say that they fill me with too much regret either.

I'm not as critical of Holmes as many, but I still think we need more goals from front players than he seems able to offer, even if he does have some other qualities.

I take the point about Lilley's fitness last season, but I do suspect that he's past it and I'm not convinced that he can still do it at this level.

As for McLaren, he does have talent and I don't require players to run about daft in order to appreciate them. He hasn't delivered very much of late though, and I think he's probably a bit of a ned, especially if his alleged "shithole" remarks are true.

More departures to come obviously. The interesting bit will come when we eventually get some arrivals, not least a manager.

I wouldnt be surprised if thats just a bit of educated guesswork on her part.

I have no idea if other players have been offered contracts or not. McMenamin certainly was, and met with the Rae the other night. In a way, I hope they havent, as it really should be down to the manager to bring in the players they want. However, nothing would surprise me right now

So you and others on the MAD board keep saying, I would imagine many people think their place of work is a dump.

Probably. But if they were to walk out of work and say something like that in front of "customers" I would imagine they would be in trouble for it. Or maybe most people would just not be stupid enough to do something like that.

If Sandra is correct about KB. Then the board seem to be clearing the way for a new manager to come in with a blank canvas and reduced budget and no high earners on the books

But these high earners were out of contract at the end of the month anyway. Any new manager coming in could have chosen just to let their contracts expire. Alternatively, he could have chosen to offer them a reduced deal, which they might have taken - of course we dont know that the BoD havent done this, I suppose.

The club will have to pay these 3 till the end of the month anyway, so releasing them now doesnt save any money

I wouldnt be surprised if thats just a bit of educated guesswork on her part.

You're maybe right. MENSA membership isn't really required to reach a similar conclusion. It was said as part of the same announcement as the player one though, which made it sound a bit more formal.

The whole idea of releasing players is a bit misleading anyway these days. It's not so much that they've been released - it's more a question of not asking them to come back. In the post-Bosman short term apocalyptic world we now have, it's simply that players have to move around a lot.

The real question concerns whether they were offered much reduced terms or not. I suspect not as all three had poor(ish) seasons and were probably on the sort of contracts that we can't now come close to offering. I don't suppose it really matters much anyway. They're gone and will be replaced more cheaply.

You're maybe right. MENSA membership isn't really required to reach a similar conclusion. It was said as part of the same announcement as the player one though, which made it sound a bit more formal.

The whole idea of releasing players is a bit misleading anyway these days. It's not so much that they've been released - it's more a question of not asking them to come back. In the post-Bosman short term apocalyptic world we now have, it's simply that players have to move around a lot.

The real question concerns whether they were offered much reduced terms or not. I suspect not as all three had poor(ish) seasons and were probably on the sort of contracts that we can't now come close to offering. I don't suppose it really matters much anyway. They're gone and will be replaced more cheaply.

You say that, but it doesnt seem like Rae has come to any conclusion. Or at least if he has, he hasnt told anyone yet.

Im a little more worried about their cheaper replacements. Until we see whos going to be manager and what standard of player theyre going to be able to bring in I dont think we be anything else

While i think playing decisions should be made by a manager not chairman/directors I won't disagree with the players released.

Holmes = more of a target man than a striker and does not contribute enough goals and was on a high wage

Lilley = approaching the end of his career injury prone and liable to be booked or sent off was also on a high wage

McLaren = His attitude did not warrant any sort of new contract at Queens . A good player wasted by a very bad attitude. Good Riddance.

I once heard McLaren leaving Palmerston one day saying to a team mate " Lets get out of this dump " You got your wish Wullie

Would agree with all that apart from McLaren, would have kept him for another year had finances allowed.

Will be in the minority when I say I'll be glad to see Holmes leave

Don't know why they've announced these three specifically, unless the board have offered them deals, which have ultimately ben rejected. We really should have had a new manager in place before players are getting released, as they would maybe have had an idea as to who we'd have kept.

It would appear that a mixture of youth and experience may well be the way forward next season. Who we'll have with experience is anyones guess

Like others I'm not terribly disappointed to see any of these three go. Although given the choice I would have kept McLaren. Lots of natural talent, it is just the application of it that lacks at times.

Lilley I think has just about had it at this level. Good for a booking nearly every other game. Captains are no use to you sitting in the stand. Think we'll probably get on better without Holmes than with him. Hos presence in the team all to often encouraged an aimless punt in his general direction. Strikers are paid to score goals, his return in this area this season has been poor. With the loss of McMenamin we have lost a number of goals, with no obvious replacement in view.

I am a little concerned that the board of directors appear to be making these decisions off their own backs. These decisons for me are a managers to make, not the board's. Even more concerning that we don't appear to have a manager!

Like others I'm not terribly disappointed to see any of these three go. Although given the choice I would have kept McLaren. Lots of natural talent, it is just the application of it that lacks at times.

Lilley I think has just about had it at this level. Good for a booking nearly every other game. Captains are no use to you sitting in the stand. Think we'll probably get on better without Holmes than with him. Hos presence in the team all to often encouraged an aimless punt in his general direction. Strikers are paid to score goals, his return in this area this season has been poor. With the loss of McMenamin we have lost a number of goals, with no obvious replacement in view.

I am a little concerned that the board of directors appear to be making these decisions off their own backs. These decisons for me are a managers to make, not the board's. Even more concerning that we don't appear to have a manager!

Refards a manager, dont be surprised if you get McCall back ;)