The Queen of the South thread

Quick question for the Queens fans, how is Bob Harris these days, been a while since I have see him play. Not saying we are signing him, just some rumours per usual flying about.

Thinks he has to pass the ball 60 yards splitting the opposition defence, instead of retaining possesion.

Been awfull this/last season.

Harris' main frailty has long been his profligacy in possession. He has not enjoyed a great season, but has also not been played consistently at left back in a four man defence. Playing in a back three does not provide him with free licence to roam up the left wing. When he first arrived at the club, he was rash in the tackle, but has worked on this and no longer makes so many naive mistakes. However, the issue remains that he must learn to be much more composed in possession. Punting it up the channel for the likes of Weatherston, McLaren or McMenamin to chase will not cut it in the SPL. He has a cultured left foot, as witnessed by his ability with free kicks, but he just needs to learn to play the simple ball when required.

Harris' main frailty has long been his profligacy in possession. He has not enjoyed a great season, but has also not been played consistently at left back in a four man defence. Playing in a back three does not provide him with free licence to roam up the left wing. When he first arrived at the club, he was rash in the tackle, but has worked on this and no longer makes so many naive mistakes. However, the issue remains that he must learn to be much more composed in possession. Punting it up the channel for the likes of Weatherston, McLaren or McMenamin to chase will not cut it in the SPL. He has a cultured left foot, as witnessed by his ability with free kicks, but he just needs to learn to play the simple ball when required.

Harris is a player that will improve immensely in the SPL if played at left back. Always thought he was one of our stronger players, in fact, I can't understand why no one has come in for him earlier.

Pretty much as I said on the other thread. We were never likely to get anywhere near retaining Burns or any other player who can step up a division or at least attract interest from genuine contenders for the division. The ones we might be able to retain are the ones who aren't going to interest better teams than us. Some people don't quite seem to "get" the meaning of having to drop £300k or so from the wage budget yet it seems.

Paul Burns was never likely to be here next season and, if the story is true, I'm pleased he's actually got a step up although I thought he might have got a better club than St Mirren. He may get better opportunities there though. I'd have been much more disappointed if Burns had been lining up against us in this division next season. To be honest, even if we didn't have financial issues to deal with the likes of Burns and Harris wouldn't have been here next season. Time for such talented young players to move on. Maybe Burns will be back one day in the same way David Lilley eventually returned, but not imminently I suspect.

Fair enough SD, but as another poster said on the St. Mirren signings thread. Whilst the product on the park hasn't been of great quality this season, St. Mirren look like a more attractive option with every passing season. We're now an established SPL side (even if it is always by the skin of our teeth), we have a takeover close to completion that offers long-term growth rather than pissing funds against a wall and the club has been on a stable situation financially for a couple of years now.

We may not be a great side, but as a club we're in one of the most stable financial positions and one of the most prudently run in the country.

Burns is one of the players in division 1 that has been sounded out for a step up all his career and it's obvious that he could make the step up with minimal fuss. If we can pull in signings of this calibre, we might be looking up the table next season rather than over our shoulder for once.

I never liked him anyway, far too wee and most certainly far too skinny. :blink:

Now Truthy, I know that your non-attendance at games is a bit of a running joke on here, but your post really does reveal someone whose seen Paul Burns and knows what he looks like, but has hardly seen him play.

I remember often hearing when he came through, that he was too easily brushed off the ball.

I don't once remember actually seeing such a thing happen though.

He's skinny, but very wiry and strong, as well as extremely committed.

I'm not entirely convinced that he's got quite enough class for top flight football, but he's certainly equipped for it physically.

Fair enough SD, but as another poster said on the St. Mirren signings thread. Whilst the product on the park hasn't been of great quality this season, St. Mirren look like a more attractive option with every passing season. We're now an established SPL side (even if it is always by the skin of our teeth), we have a takeover close to completion that offers long-term growth rather than pissing funds against a wall and the club has been on a stable situation financially for a couple of years now.

We may not be a great side, but as a club we're in one of the most stable financial positions and one of the most prudently run in the country.

Did you rehash this pipe dream post from the end of last season?

I dont think anyone is claiming KB is some sort of messiah, miracle worker or in line for any manager of the year awards. However, he has taken a decent team, but weak squad, to comparative success and, more importantly, has a good youth squad below it. Some of the football has been poor, but then some has been really good. From a footballing point of view I think it would be hard to argue that he hasnt done enough to, at least, be given a chance to continue the work hes started. Id rather have continuity with a decent manager than risk bringing in someone else who could turn out to be much worse.

As for behaving like a "total dick" well thats totally subjective. Some of his comments in the media were embarrassing but, in my opinion, far too much was made of them. In many ways, Id rather have the honesty of KB over the bullshit we used to get from McCall. And Brannigan is far from the only person at the club to have come off badly in the media this season. He certainly comes across well in person, and obviously has the backing and respect of the players ... or should that be "had"?

If he and Rae can sort out their differences and the whole club can learn from this seasons mistakes and present a more united, positive front in the media I dont see any reason not to offer KB another contract.

Fair enough Mr X if you're not claiming KB's a "miracle worker", but I have seen that very phrase used (and retracted) on here, and it's pretty much a staple of discourse over on the MAD site. As I've said before, performances on the field haven't in themselves been so bad as to necessarily see KB out of a job. It really isn't that simple though.

Of course, my "total dick" comment was entirely subjective. I don't think the term has ever been given a legal definition.

I stand by the sentiment though. He has, in my view, sought to further his own ends with his comments, without looking out for the greater good of the club. I don't hold with all this apparent "honesty" either. He has been dishonest in his statements about how few players are available ahead of each Saturday for one thing. As SD pointed out earlier too, he had no problem last year about out of contract palyers entering the close season in the dark. This year he's up in arms about the same thing and it's clear that this is all to do with his own position. That is intrinsically dishonest.

It's interesting that you mention McCall, a person whose conduct was inspired by similarly self serving motives.

As for he and Rae learning from mistakes and presenting a united front, this sounds unlikely. Apart from Rae's pretty evident failings, Brannigan has made an abolute virtue of his reluctance to speak and behave professionally. I'm truly baffled by the fact that so many have bought it.

I remember having games against Morton in the Premier League. You won't, because it was before you were born. dry.gif

Morton, incredibly shite your entire life. :lol:

I remember having games against Morton in the Premier League. You won't, because it was before you were born. dry.gif

Morton, incredibly shite your entire life. :lol:

Aye but by djchapsticks 'best case scenarioism', we're a shoo-in for the title next season. That was close to my point. :D

Nope, not me. At least not to my recollection.

Nothing I've said, at least not the part you've highlighted, is a pipedream or 'best case scenarioism'.

- 6th year in the SPL - means we're established.

- Decent, modern and reliable (if unspectacular) training facilities on a permanent basis rather than trudging about town in a mini van or on foot looking for a spare piece of ground to train on.

- No debt.

- Financially stable.

- New ownership of the club to be completed in the next few weeks.

How can any of that be classed as a pipedream when it's all happened or is happening currently? :blink:

The only pipedream in my post was saying we might be able to start looking up the league a little if the calibre of signing is like Burns (and Stephen Thompson) ;)

Edited by djchapsticks

Nope, not me. At least not to my recollection.

Nothing I've said, at least not the part you've highlighted, is a pipedream or 'best case scenarioism'.

- 6th year in the SPL - means we're established.

- Decent, modern and reliable (if unspectacular) training facilities on a permanent basis rather than trudging about town in a mini van or on foot looking for a spare piece of ground to train on.

- No debt.

- Financially stable.

- New ownership of the club to be completed in the next few weeks.

How can any of that be classed as a pipedream when it's all happened or is happening currently? :blink:

The only pipedream in my post was saying we might be able to start looking up the league a little if the calibre of signing is like Burns (and Stephen Thompson) ;)

Yes, and that's the important part. All but the new ownership were in place last season and you did your usual trick of being the 2nd worst team in the league: perfectly legitimate mind, but not showing any sign of progress.

Like most clubs in Scottish football you're likely to do little better next season...

Fair enough Mr X if you're not claiming KB's a "miracle worker", but I have seen that very phrase used (and retracted) on here, and it's pretty much a staple of discourse over on the MAD site. As I've said before, performances on the field haven't in themselves been so bad as to necessarily see KB out of a job. It really isn't that simple though.

No it isnt that simple, but for me this is, far and away, the most important part of the job. For a club like Queens dealing with the media is a fairly insignificant part of a managers job. We're not a Celtic or Rangers or Man Utd or Chelsea where every word is poured over at length in the back pages and the media are constantly clamouring for stories. We're a small club who even the local media are fairly disinterested in. Not saying we couldnt do better in that area, but I dont believe its what a manager should be judged on

Of course, my "total dick" comment was entirely subjective. I don't think the term has ever been given a legal definition.

I stand by the sentiment though. He has, in my view, sought to further his own ends with his comments, without looking out for the greater good of the club. I don't hold with all this apparent "honesty" either. He has been dishonest in his statements about how few players are available ahead of each Saturday for one thing. As SD pointed out earlier too, he had no problem last year about out of contract palyers entering the close season in the dark. This year he's up in arms about the same thing and it's clear that this is all to do with his own position. That is intrinsically dishonest.

It's interesting that you mention McCall, a person whose conduct was inspired by similarly self serving motives.

Whatevers going on with the players contracts, theres something not right. Several players, and an agent, have said as much, several times, on twitter and facebook. Not saying KBs motives were entirely selfless but it seems pretty obvious that whats going on this season isnt the same as what went on last season. Given some of the announcements from other clubs, it doesnt seem like its whats going on at other clubs too.

As for he and Rae learning from mistakes and presenting a united front, this sounds unlikely. Apart from Rae's pretty evident failings, Brannigan has made an abolute virtue of his reluctance to speak and behave professionally. I'm truly baffled by the fact that so many have bought it.

I dont think we can afford for it to be "unlikely". Both the BoD (well Rae, as hes the only one we ever hear from in public) and next seasons manager, whoever that is, have to do a better job of communicating with the fans and promoting a more positive image of the club. Whether thats via a different manager, or the same one doing better, or someone at the club being more "editorial" over what goes out, I dont know. While I wouldnt pick a manager based on his media performances I do think its important that the club, overall, uses the media well

Burns is one of the players in division 1 that has been sounded out for a step up all his career and it's obvious that he could make the step up with minimal fuss. If we can pull in signings of this calibre, we might be looking up the table next season rather than over our shoulder for once.

It wasn't meant to be defamatory to St Mirren (and you didn't really take it as such, I'm just trying to clarify in case others do).

I don't know that you are an established SPL side, depends on your definition really. Always surviving by the skin of your teeth wouldn't make mine. And that was really my point. He's been looked at by more established sides and actively coveted by at least one in the past. I thought he might have made a move to one of those. However, I actually think St Mirren might be a good move for him because I suspect he'll get the chance to play regularly and show that he's not out of his depth.

Paul Burns is the sort of player who won't attract desperate competition for his signature most likely and we were never likely to be able to "sell" him. Effective as he is (and he's added regular goalscoring this season to what he already had) he's physically "a bit wee", doesn't possess any particularly impressive pace and isn't the sort of player likely to take on and beat an opponent by trickery. Willie Gibson was all those things and that's why he was sought actively by bigger clubs and went for six figures this season, albeit not paid to us unfortunately. Never the less most fans would say Burns was far more important to us as a club than Gibson ever was. He's the kind of player clubs won't actively seek out but if he plays for them he'll never let them down and he'll end up a regular.

All that said, if FC1919 suggests it's not true then it's likely it isn't. Yet.