The Queen of the South thread

Fair enough.

Although, I would have thought one pretty much implied the other. If the BoD are offering FT contracts to players, the manager cant then "decide" to go PT.

A contract offers a player £x per week to play for a football club for a period of y to z. It doesn't state when, where or how often they train. Whilst I agree it should all be down to the manager, there's nothing to stop the board re-signing players from the current squad and a manager later deciding to change the current training arrangements. The contract is an SFL playing contract and is no different whether the player is part time or full time.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

A contract offers a player £x per week to play for a football club for a period of y to z. It doesn't state when, where or how often they train. Whilst I agree it should all be down to the manager, there's nothing to stop the board re-signing players from the current squad and a manager later deciding to change the current training arrangements. The contract is an SFL playing contract and is no different whether the player is part time or full time.

Really?

Dont employment contracts have to, legally, state a place of work and "normal" working hours? Or are footballers not contracted as "employees"?

That aside, while what you say is, technically, true Im sure a player signing what he thinks is a "full time contract" is not going to be very happy if the club then starts training part time, or vice versa.

Really?

Dont employment contracts have to, legally, state a place of work and "normal" working hours? Or are footballers not contracted as "employees"?

That aside, while what you say is, technically, true Im sure a player signing what he thinks is a "full time contract" is not going to be very happy if the club then starts training part time, or vice versa.

Indeed, the legal paperwork may say differently, but the reality is that there is a big difference between a full-time and a part-time player, the main one being that a part-time player has a non-footballing income to fall back on.

The PT vs FT discussion appears to be another subject I disagree with the majority on though. There seems to be an assumption amongst most people that us going PT is an inevitability, and an instant way to reduce outgoings on wages. The reality is that the only real outcome to being part-time is that you reduce the number of potential players you can attract, and these players spend less time together with the coaching staff. I can say with fairly great certainty, and I think SD has alluded to it in the past, that we paid higher PT wages in the First Division than several of our FT rivals (I think Clyde were used as an example at the time, but there will definitely have been others).

Indeed, the legal paperwork may say differently, but the reality is that there is a big difference between a full-time and a part-time player, the main one being that a part-time player has a non-footballing income to fall back on.

The PT vs FT discussion appears to be another subject I disagree with the majority on though. There seems to be an assumption amongst most people that us going PT is an inevitability, and an instant way to reduce outgoings on wages. The reality is that the only real outcome to being part-time is that you reduce the number of potential players you can attract, and these players spend less time together with the coaching staff. I can say with fairly great certainty, and I think SD has alluded to it in the past, that we paid higher PT wages in the First Division than several of our FT rivals (I think Clyde were used as an example at the time, but there will definitely have been others).

Something else I agree with you about :o

I guess the current climate could go two ways for players. Players might be prepared to accept less money in order to stay full time, or, more players will want to go part time to supplement there football income, which will without question go down for the vast majority.

Something else I agree with you about :o

I guess the current climate could go two ways for players. Players might be prepared to accept less money in order to stay full time, or, more players will want to go part time to supplement there football income, which will without question go down for the vast majority.

You're first part is why I simply can't understand why Queens haven't at least made an offer to every member of this years first team. Even a derisory offer is better than keeping them in the dark. Maybe at his age Lilley will accept a cut to stay at a club he knows inside out and is club captain? Maybe McMenamin enjoys playing for his hometown club rather than the upheaval of moving once again after only joining us in January. His form would suggest he is enjoying himself...

Your second part I just don't think is realistic. Take someone like Bob Harris (perhaps not the best example as he shouldn't struggle to get a new club) who as far as I'm aware has been a full-time footballer since being a youth player at Rangers. Since then he has been full-time with us, and Clyde. I doubt he has a trade or many qualifications to fall back on. If we were to make him an offer he can choose to hold out for a move elsewhere on equal or increased wages, or accept our offer and remain. I don't see dropping to part-time being a viable option for many existing full-time players.

You're first part is why I simply can't understand why Queens haven't at least made an offer to every member of this years first team. Even a derisory offer is better than keeping them in the dark. Maybe at his age Lilley will accept a cut to stay at a club he knows inside out and is club captain? Maybe McMenamin enjoys playing for his hometown club rather than the upheaval of moving once again after only joining us in January. His form would suggest he is enjoying himself...

Your second part I just don't think is realistic. Take someone like Bob Harris (perhaps not the best example as he shouldn't struggle to get a new club) who as far as I'm aware has been a full-time footballer since being a youth player at Rangers. Since then he has been full-time with us, and Clyde. I doubt he has a trade or many qualifications to fall back on. If we were to make him an offer he can choose to hold out for a move elsewhere on equal or increased wages, or accept our offer and remain. I don't see dropping to part-time being a viable option for many existing full-time players.

Maybe I phrased it badly. I wasnt thinking that they would actively choose to go part time, but could be forced to if the full time wages, across the board, drop enough. If players are being offered £'00s of pounds less per week and cant get better offers elsewhere, they might have no option but to supplement their income elsewhere. I take your point about them having no trade or qualifications, but that doesnt mean they wouldnt be able to find some sort of work.

Brannigan with his "the squad is too small". ... I don't particularly think Brannigan's wining about squad size had any negative impact.

The comments I hear from people (friends and workmates) cite ... "lack of ambition"

You say that his whining about enforced cutbacks has no impact; yet concede that a perceived lack of ambition is among the reasons cited by those who don't attend.

It's impossible to gauge accurately how much damage Brannigan's doom mongering might have done to gates. I don't think however that it can be dismissed as a potential factor, for the reasons you pretty much admit yourself in the above post.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

They ended up with a total of 143 entries.

The Shirt Sponsorship was won by Border Utilities Ltd.

2nd Prize - Shorts Sponsor went to PTS Ltd.

3rd - Gold Ball Match Sponsorship - Storey Construction.

4th - Matchday Hospitality for 4 - Stewartry Tyres Castle Douglas Ltd.

5th - 2 Adults in Directors box for a match - Alicat Creative.

6th- Executive Club Membership - New Bazaar Doonhamers.

7th- Match Ball Sponsor for a Match - Homer Burgess Ltd.

8th- Player Sponsorship for the season - Hiddleston Joiners.

9th- Autographed Team Shirt - Arnold Clark Ltd.

10th- Autographed Team Ball - Braidwood Solicitors.

11th- Mascot for a match of your choice - Clik Cars Ltd.

143 x £400 = £57200. smile.gif

Thats a far bigger return than I ever thought would be made considering all the uncertainty and negativity around the club at present.

Davie Rae made the draw.

They ended up with a total of 143 entries.

The Shirt Sponsorship was won by Border Utilities Ltd.

2nd Prize - Shorts Sponsor went to PTS Ltd.

3rd - Gold Ball Match Sponsorship - Storey Construction.

4th - Matchday Hospitality for 4 - Stewartry Tyres Castle Douglas Ltd.

5th - 2 Adults in Directors box for a match - Alicat Creative.

6th- Executive Club Membership - New Bazaar Doonhamers.

7th- Match Ball Sponsor for a Match - Homer Burgess Ltd.

8th- Player Sponsorship for the season - Hiddleston Joiners.

9th- Autographed Team Shirt - Arnold Clark Ltd.

10th- Autographed Team Ball - Braidwood Solicitors.

11th- Mascot for a match of your choice - Clik Cars Ltd.

143 x £400 = £57200. smile.gif

Thats a far bigger return than I ever thought would be made considering all the uncertainty and negativity around the club at present.

Davie Rae made the draw.

It was a surprise that Kenny Brannigan did not make the draw :o:rolleyes: . 143 was a lot more that i thought we would get well done to Pete of Border Utilities :D

Edited by dumfries.....boys

You say that his whining about enforced cutbacks has no impact; yet concede that a perceived lack of ambition is among the reasons cited by those who don't attend.

It's impossible to gauge accurately how much damage Brannigan's doom mongering might have done to gates. I don't think however that it can be dismissed as a potential factor, for the reasons you pretty much admit yourself in the above post.

Those types of comment have pre-dated Brannigan by quite a considerable time though. Like I said most are unrealistic and probably expected Queens to have a compliant stadium and be in the SPL within a couple of years. It's a vicious circle really. Us as regulars at Palmy with more knowledge than your man on the street appreciate that with the income we have sustaining ourselves in the First Division is an achievement, and a fourth place equates to a good season. It's not exactly going to entice punters away from the pub and Jeff Stelling doing his hardest to make Kidderminster against Burton Albion sound like the most exciting game in the world though.

You're going to struggle to convince me KB's comments have had much, if any impact. What I will agree with though is that most of what he said was pretty obvious (certainly to me) so didn't really need to be said anyway, and certainly not on an almost weekly basis.

Also bearing the circumstances in mind, not enough on its own to justify not renewing his contract, especially when the footballing side of things has been so successful.

Colin McMenamin speaking to Davie Rae according to the Standard, not sure if it's true or not.

He is also saying on Twitter, "going for my 3rd meeting, see how it goes".

That could be three different meetings with three different clubs, though ... and none of them Queens!

McMenamin saying in the standard that he's meeting with Davie Rae next week to see what he has to say but has already been approached by 4 other first division clubs. Also mentions rumours of possibly moving training to Dumfries or Carlisle, which would have an influence. I'm sure he lives about Cumbernauld way so would Imagine a glasgow club would be his option or even Livi, which was one of the rumours flying about at the game last saturday

McMenamin saying in the standard that he's meeting with Davie Rae next week to see what he has to say but has already been approached by 4 other first division clubs. Also mentions rumours of possibly moving training to Dumfries or Carlisle, which would have an influence.

I've not seen the Standard. Are you saying that there's mention there of possibly moving training to Carlisle?

If so, that would imply a complete change of strategy, in that we'd be looking to the North of England for players again.

Have I got totally the wrong end of the stick here, because to me, that sounds unlikely?

Those types of comment have pre-dated Brannigan by quite a considerable time though ... You're going to struggle to convince me KB's comments have had much, if any impact.

Also bearing the circumstances in mind, not enough on its own to justify not renewing his contract, especially when the footballing side of things has been so successful.

Yes, such comments do go back a long way, and I agree that they reflect a disinterested ignorance more than anything else.

We'll have to agree to differ on the unwinnable argument of how much impact Brannigan's comments might have had though. You think it was next to none; while I'd say his comments were one important factor among a few others, but I certainly can't prove it.

I'd also take issue with the "so successful" part of your post.

To my mind, it's been ok over the piece - the last fortnight apart, much worse than that latterly.

For me, the footballing evidence for renewing or otherwise would be pretty neutral. The rest however, tips the balance against him. Quite heavily.

That was my thinking, could be with the bank or something for all we know !:lol:

Twitter is class!

Yes, I've recently started tweeting and told Coco he had a great season. He replied with his gratitude, but was non-commital about whether he'll be remaining at Palmy. He'll have options undoubtedly; I just hope Queens are realistic contenders for his signature.

I've not seen the Standard. Are you saying that there's mention there of possibly moving training to Carlisle?

If so, that would imply a complete change of strategy, in that we'd be looking to the North of England for players again.

Have I got totally the wrong end of the stick here, because to me, that sounds unlikely?

If the talk of moving training is the same as what Ive heard, then I wouldnt worry too much. I certainly wouldnt be jumping to that conclusion ;)

Yes, I've recently started tweeting and told Coco he had a great season. He replied with his gratitude, but was non-commital about whether he'll be remaining at Palmy. He'll have options undoubtedly; I just hope Queens are realistic contenders for his signature.

Doonhamer72?

We need the manager situation sorted ASAP. It's a total joke that we don't know if we're looking for a new manager or not yet.

Doonhamer72?

We need the manager situation sorted ASAP. It's a total joke that we don't know if we're looking for a new manager or not yet

I would assume that it seems apparent that as the Board have decided not to renew Brannigans contract some considerable time ago thay have been actively looking for a replacement.

If not then they are guilty of very poor management.

Starting to look for a replacement at the end of May would be totally insane.

Why they did not send Brannigan on gardening leave months ago , I just don't know.