The Queen of the South thread

6 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

That puts an end to that possibility. Doubt I'll ever see a player as good in a QoS jersey in my life. A truly outstanding talent and it meant that bit more that he clearly loves the club as well. Hopefully we get him back at some point for a proper send off. 52587c49179bcfd20223eaacac8dd4b9.jpg

God, I love the man.

Interesting to read of his commitment to a coaching career.  I really hope he's successful in it and that we one day benefit.

I agree on the send-off idea.  The club needs to make a point of inviting him back pretty soon as a guest of honour.  It's the least he deserves.  We probably deserve it too.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

God, I love the man.

Interesting to read of his commitment to a coaching career.  I really hope he's successful in it and that we one day benefit.

I agree on the send-off idea.  The club needs to make a point of inviting him back pretty soon as a guest of honour.  It's the least he deserves.  We probably deserve it too.

The club missed the opportunity to give him a well deserved testimonial when he declared he was leaving the club a couple of seasons back however now is the chance to make amends giving the fans the chance to really show their appreciation to the club legend. A friendly against Blackpool would be a suitable fixture say home and away during the summer?

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Indeed. I doubt the players at Cove/Kelty/Queens Park have been there because they had a hankering to play in L1/L2.

Talking of players who follow the money, I see that the £££Darvel side containing Andy Stirling and Ian McShane huffed and puffed their way to a 3-1 win over St Cuthbert Wanderers tonight in the round robin Lowland League promotion play-offs.  Tranent beat Saints 7-0 on Sunday so only have to avoid defeat against £££Darvel on Saturday to clinch the promotion spot.

General hilarity will ensue in Castle Slipmat on Saturday night if £££Darvel fail in their bid to buy their way into the LL...

41 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Talking of players who follow the money, I see that the £££Darvel side containing Andy Stirling and Ian McShane huffed and puffed their way to a 3-1 win over St Cuthbert Wanderers tonight in the round robin Lowland League promotion play-offs.  Tranent beat Saints 7-0 on Sunday so only have to avoid defeat against £££Darvel on Saturday to clinch the promotion spot.

General hilarity will ensue in Castle Slipmat on Saturday night if £££Darvel fail in their bid to buy their way into the LL...

How does this work then? Like a mini league of 4 or what?

47 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

If Darvel and Tranent draw it goes to a penalty shoot out for an extra point

3 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

If Darvel and Tranent draw it goes to a penalty shoot out for an extra point

Cheers for clarifying that, I had assumed it would be decided on goal difference. 

All the more satisfying should Darvel lose out on penalties.  Make it happen, Tranent!

18 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Cheers for clarifying that, I had assumed it would be decided on goal difference. 

All the more satisfying should Darvel lose out on penalties.  Make it happen, Tranent!

I think unofficialy it was a way of making sure promotion wasn't decided by who could score the most against the SOS Champions.

I haven't seen the teams lines but Darvel may have decided it was enough to win and made their team selection accordingly as they are playing again on Saturday where as Tranent have been idle since Sunday

This forum is much poorer without SD's input.  The critics who mistook his detailed and accurate approach for pedantry and condescension should have a look at themselves. 

I've not been told anything. I chose to stop posting in February. It will be staying that way (for now anyway), though I may get around to updating the Managers thread on Infowire at some point.
And it shouldn't need saying but I certainly did not, and would not, quote any numbers which were not in the public domain. The club's bank balance had been published by then.

Hopefully we’ll see you back posting next season - a rare voice that knows what it’s talking about (usually).

9 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Did Paul McKay sign a two year deal with you last season, or has he signed on again for another year?

How has he been for you? Was really surprised to see him make the step up last season.

He signed a new deal at the end of last season when injured. He’s been good, always a 7/10 for us playing centre half, noticed a difference when injury ruled him out to our defence. Struggle to see why your fan base seem to dislike him so much. Ally Roy on the other hand, I completely understand!

15 hours ago, oldhat said:

This forum is much poorer without SD's input.  The critics who mistook his detailed and accurate approach for pedantry and condescension should have a look at themselves. 

I think someone from Queens had a wee word in his ear about giving out too much information that perhaps should of been on the official site first. 

He signed a new deal at the end of last season when injured. He’s been good, always a 7/10 for us playing centre half, noticed a difference when injury ruled him out to our defence. Struggle to see why your fan base seem to dislike him so much. Ally Roy on the other hand, I completely understand!

I wouldn’t say our fan base disliked him. He was solid enough and reasonably versatile, he just want really a stand out.

Any bad feeling that did exist probably was more to do with the ties with his dad Willie McKay at the time.

Unsurprised to see that Ally Roy didn’t fare well. One of the most frustrating players I’ve ever watched play for Airdrie - an utter shitebag.

2 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I wouldn’t say our fan base disliked him. He was solid enough and reasonably versatile, he just want really a stand out.

Any bad feeling that did exist probably was more to do with the ties with his dad Willie McKay at the time.

Unsurprised to see that Ally Roy didn’t fare well. One of the most frustrating players I’ve ever watched play for Airdrie - an utter shitebag.

Jumping out a challenge at Killie away which led to a goal earlier this season sums him up. A heart the size of a pea.

13 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

I think someone from Queens had a wee word in his ear about giving out too much information that perhaps should of been on the official site first. 

You think wrongly then. There's no reason for my not posting anything other than that I'm choosing not to.

On 25/05/2022 at 05:51, Skyline Drifter said:

I've not been told anything. I chose to stop posting in February. It will be staying that way (for now anyway), though I may get around to updating the Managers thread on Infowire at some point.

And it shouldn't need saying but I certainly did not, and would not, quote any numbers which were not in the public domain. The club's bank balance had been published by then.

Hope you’ll still provide Administrative insight too!

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You think wrongly then. There's no reason for my not posting anything other than that I'm choosing not to.

Applaud your decision. And with you. 

New era, new challenges but if we go factual we have a self appointed board now listening (too late IMO) to a grounded manager that are not voted for an not valid because they disregarded the articles of association and made the rules up as they went along. The quorum are fundamental and were barred by excuse. Not being negative and hope we have the same experience as the last drop; though am more pragmatic than then. 

anyone in doubt please go to search companies house and type in Queen of the South.  

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Hope you have a rethink for next season. Your input added a valuable if unofficial club perspective to our thread... and which was appreciated by fans of other clubs too.

Loads of management changes in L1 next season then ...

Falkirk  - new manager, J McGlynn - loads of experience - can he settle things down in Grangemouth after turbulent times?

Dunfermline - new manager - J McPake - got the Dees promoted but opinions split at Dens.  Big re-build probably required at EEP.

Queens - new manager - W Gibson - untried but has Grant Murray as support

Airdrie - new manager - R McCabe - only 29 and with no real coaching/recruitment experience - something of a left-field appointment (just announced tonight)

Kelty £££ - will K Thomson be staying or moving on?  Loads of rumours.

Bit of a risk trying to forecast how this will pan out - Falkirk probably with the safest pair of hands at a guess ...  Montrose probably rubbing their hands at the upheaval amongst this lot.