The Queen of the South thread

31 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Any predictions on whether those offered new deals will resign?

I understand waiting to get best deal. Fitzpatrick, Connelly and East. Fitzpatrick poor injury record but really good player and we seen that in a few game under WG. Connelly done well but after January constantly played out of position might encourage him to look elsewhere. East done well but I would like him to resign and play left back. But he was signed as a striker but going forward he may be better as a defender. To answer the question if they are taking the time maybe they have other options.

I understand waiting to get best deal. Fitzpatrick, Connelly and East. Fitzpatrick poor injury record but really good player and we seen that in a few game under WG. Connelly done well but after January constantly played out of position might encourage him to look elsewhere. East done well but I would like him to resign and play left back. But he was signed as a striker but going forward he may be better as a defender. To answer the question if they are taking the time maybe they have other options.
Connolly checked out weeks before the end of the season. He'll definitely be gone. The only time Fitzpatrick has looked like the player we hoped we'd get has been under WG. You'd like to think he'd give himself another year under WG as a result. East did well for us and I hope he re-signs. I'll be surprised if he has loads of offers elsewhere. That's twice you've said you want him at LB. What have you seen to suggest he could play there? He isn't the quickest and he's only just been converted to CB. It would be a bit much expecting him to go on to another position surely?

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, Manwithnoball said:

Connolly checked out weeks before the end of the season. He'll definitely be gone. The only time Fitzpatrick has looked like the player we hoped we'd get has been under WG. You'd like to think he'd give himself another year under WG as a result. East did well for us and I hope he re-signs. I'll be surprised if he has loads of offers elsewhere. That's twice you've said you want him at LB. What have you seen to suggest he could play there? He isn't the quickest and he's only just been converted to CB. It would be a bit much expecting him to go on to another position surely?

My own opinion. Good on the ball and would give physicality to the back line.

Obligatory reminder that resign and re-sign have very different meanings. 

It really does grate on me this one, purely because we're football fans ffs. However, folk continue to get it wrong and I've re-signed myself to the fact some folk will never get it correct...

3 hours ago, QoS99 said:

When do you think the cut off date is to hear back whether last seasons players have accepted a new deal? Surely end of this week/ start of next.

Current contracts expire on 31 May as far as I know.  If there's no news by then I guess the four who've yet to re-sign won't be doing so unless we go back to them with much improved deals to those that they have already been offered, which, judging by the Josh Rae case, I doubt they would get.   It will be a true indication of the ambition of the BOD if all four were to walk given that we supposedly have money sitting doing nothing in the bank.

Edited by Slipmat

17 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Current contracts expire on 31 May as far as I know.  If there's no news by then I guess the four who've yet to re-sign won't be doing so unless we go back to them with much improved deals to those that they have already been offered, which, judging by the Josh Rae case, I doubt they would get.   It will be a true indication of the ambition of the BOD if all four were to walk given that we supposedly have money sitting doing nothing in the bank.

I think we did give Josh Rae a good deal, he’s just obviously going to get better elsewhere after the season he’s had. I’m very critical of the BoD but completely disagree here. If Connelly for example gets an offer from a Play off chasing team in the Championship  he’s not going to stay here even if it is the same wages.

And think the money we have “sitting in the bank” is drastically overstated. We need a new pitch which is going to cut a huge chunk of that and are expecting a heavy loss, we can’t afford to be offering stupid wages to try and compete unfortunately.

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Same. Never shown anything to suggest he's a striker.

Agreed. To be fair, he did score the same number of league goals last season as Cameron and Soares-Junior managed between them.

3 hours ago, Flash said:

Agreed. To be fair, he did score the same number of league goals last season as Cameron and Soares-Junior managed between them.

Good point ... out of interest, did you include OGs there btw? 😎

Guest Flash
3 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Good point ... out of interest, did you include OGs there btw? 😎

Aye. East got one and Cameron/Soares-Junior got one between them.