The Queen of the South thread

Sorry to see you go down.

With three minutes left yesterday I was full of hope that you'd beat Dunfermline on Friday to send them down automatically.

Hopefully you're back up soon - some really sound people at the club and among the support.

All the best.

I wouldn't imagine Cameron and Connolly would be snapped up quickly by a Championship team as they both have a dubious track record...successive seasons with a club relegated from the Championship! Connolly has really gone off the boil and I wouldn't be that bothered if he went elsewhere. Okay he scored a few crackers, but only a few. 

8 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

I wouldn't imagine Cameron and Connolly would be snapped up quickly by a Championship team as they both have a dubious track record...successive seasons with a club relegated from the Championship! Connolly has really gone off the boil and I wouldn't be that bothered if he went elsewhere. Okay he scored a few crackers, but only a few. 

Seriously Cameron. I don't see what the big man brings to a team. His goal return is poor and misses a lot of chances. Connelly has been poor since return from injury. But he has played games this year. His best position is behind the striker bit WG has been playing him out wide. Not to bothered if he leaves to be honest.

3 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Seriously Cameron. I don't see what the big man brings to a team. His goal return is poor and misses a lot of chances. Connelly has been poor since return from injury. But he has played games this year. His best position is behind the striker bit WG has been playing him out wide. Not to bothered if he leaves to be honest.

The only out of contract players I hope we keep are East, McGrory and Rae, in that order.

Despite our horrific goals against record Rae has been pretty solid and couldn't have done much better due to the dross he's been playing behind.

McGrory and Cochrane looks to be a decent central midfield pairing, it's a pity they haven't had many chances to play together.

East has had to learn on the job in the centre back role but has adapted well, and he could still do a job at left back or up front if necessary.  In fact despite playing the whole season in the back line he's scored as many goals as yesterday's front two, Ruben and Cameron, have contributed between them.

I'd also take Gibson as a player, but not if he's manager.

Think Connelly and Rae will definitely be away. Would be shocked to see O’Conner back next year, whilst I doubt Johnstone will drop down a division for another loan. Out of squad would only be happy with Gibson (as a player), Fitzpatrick, East, McGrory on top of our signed players for next season. 

I think Fitzpatrick’s injury could actually play to our advantage in terms of signing on for another season, as he never had that many games before his injury where he showed how good he was. Doubt those few games will get him a deal at another Championship club. 

Think if we resigned those players, on top of the existing players signed for next season, we have the beginnings of a squad capable for challenging in League One. Would love to see Gav Reilly back, but think he’ll end up at Morton permanently.

6 hours ago, AyrExile said:

If you didn't watch the games and relied on league tables to form an opinion then budget could have been used as the main reason. Not going to use the Arbroath example as they have a few things which lend into their favour. Overall this has been a poor league where bottom has competed with top more often than you'd expect. 2 or 3 more wins and you'd have been right in the mix. A better manager would have managed to do this. Would actually say you were in a worse starting position last season and managed to get a good team on the park

It was a poor January transfer window that ultimately did us. The last few seasons we've been able to bring bodies in but this year could only manage one for what ever reason. 

It's nothing more than we deserve at the end of the day. In the last what, 4 seasons a relegation play off and were almost certain heading down the season COVID struck. It wasn't actually too bad a team compared compared to when we last dropped. 

Sadly I can't see us coming back up in a hurray. League one is very competitive. 

8 hours ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

I worked at Killie for two decades 1990 til 2010 on matchdays as an Area Controller outside the East Stand although a Queens fan...

Area Controller???

The Board will have to resolve the manager situation very soon. Gibson's contract as a player will expire at the end of the season so after that he will be a free agent and I don't thin he will be short of offers. Not sure what his remit as temporary manager of that of Grant Murray will be but they may have only been given short term contracts too. 

Cannot let it drag on too long as who will decide which current players may be offered new contracts and would they sign them if they don't know who their new manager will be. Would you?

This week will give the board time to think about next season. 

Do we stay full time same budget as last season and try and get out of League 1.

For me we have to try the mix of full and part time it worked at Raith why not with us .

This we must be full time does not work for us as all we can attract is young players with no experience that as we have seen this season just does not work .

On the manager we have to get it done next week I don't think Wullie has the experience but will we be able to attract better .

12 hours ago, queenslad said:

The Board will have to resolve the manager situation very soon. Gibson's contract as a player will expire at the end of the season so after that he will be a free agent and I don't thin he will be short of offers. 

At what level of the game would clubs be queueing up to sign an outfield player who will be 38 in August and couldn't stop his team being dunted into the seaside leagues without a struggle? 

Edited by vikingTON

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

At what level of the game would clubs be queueing up to sign an outfield player who will be 38 in August and couldn't stop his team being dunted into the seaside leagues without a struggle? 

I agree, doubt he will have lots of offers for that reason. But if you watch Queens he’s been our best player for the past 2 years, if we had more players like him we wouldn’t have went down to the seaside league. Can only remember one bad game since he’s been back which was Inverness at home against Kai Kennedy.

Aye Gibson's not going anywhere. His latest interview showed how much the club means to him. He'll either be playing for us next season or managing us. Sadly I hope it's one or the other and not both.

Already been said we won’t have a player/manager. He’s also  not going to have offers due to his ties with us as mentioned. He’d also be stupid to leave as he’ll have the managers gig (whether that’s now or in a season or two’s time)

Edited by QoS99

1 hour ago, QoS99 said:

Already been said we won’t have a player/manager. He’s also  not going to have offers due to his ties with us as mentioned. He’d also be stupid to leave as he’ll have the managers gig (whether that’s now or in a season or two’s time)

If he doesn't get the managers job now he never will. 

18 minutes ago, Kunter said:

If he doesn't get the managers job now he never will. 

I disagree. He could always play another season whilst managing the 20’s again. And also, if he doesn’t get the job just now, the next manager is likely to only get a 1 year deal after the AJ disaster of a 2 year deal. Also if it doesn’t go to plan we could just be in the exact same situation of looking for another manager this time next year.

Personally don’t think Wullie will hang about if he doesn’t get the job. Got a gut feeling McIntyre might get it. Personally would like Wullie to get, nice to have someone so passionate about the club in charge. Think even McIntyre giving his time out of the game would even be a gamble

Id like to see Grant Murray take charge on his own with a coaching role to begin with for Gibson. He could then potentially step up if Murray leaves further down the line. Id be all for giving the job to Gibson now but if it means he would have to retire as a player then imo hed be far too big a loss as he has been head and shoulders our best player these last 2 years and still has so much to offer. 

Id like to see Grant Murray take charge on his own with a coaching role to begin with for Gibson. He could then potentially step up if Murray leaves further down the line. Id be all for giving the job to Gibson now but if it means he would have to retire as a player then imo hed be far too big a loss as he has been head and shoulders our best player these last 2 years and still has so much to offer. 
I'd be very underwhelmed with Murray tbh. His record is pretty poor.

Guest Flash

Did a quick rough and ready comparison of Johnston’s and Gibson’s records this season and worked out roughly what would have happened if either had been in charge for the whole season. There is a bit of rounding involved, so not exact. Plus we don’t know how Gibson would have got on had Fitzpatrick not been injured. 

Anyway, Johnston maintaining his record over a complete season would have produced
P36 W6 D10 L20 F38 A60 Pts 28

Would have finished bottom.

Gibson would have produced
P36 W10 D6 L20 F29 A42 Pts36

At 1 point per game, we’d have roughly the same record as Dunfermline and most likely be in the relegation play-offs.
There hasn’t been a dramatic improvement. Whether Gibson would have done any better with his own players is the great unknown.
Maybe second bottom is the best we could have got anyway given the budget. A Livi or an Arbroath doesn't happen all that often. If you swap Dunfermline and Arbroath in the table as it stands, teams would probably end up roughly in line with their budget.