The Queen of the South thread

A nice refreshing post-match interview from Wullie as well and I thought he spoke well. Fair play to him mentioning how tough a week Max has had. Commented to my pal before the game today that it must have been quite an uncomfortable week for the boy but give him his dues, he never let it affect his performance today.

I did burst out laughing in disbelief when Wullie said McKechnie was to be loaned out (if AJ hadn't been sacked). Absolutely unreal. The boy showed today he's an attacking asset and AJ didn't think that was required to get us out this mess. Sums the guy up tbh.

Also interesting in regards to Murray and that there will be an announcement. Maybe thinking too much into Wullie's wording but if it was as simple as Murray coming in to assist you'd think he'd just say that? Co-manager or some such thing perhaps?

A nice refreshing post-match interview from Wullie as well and I thought he spoke well. Fair play to him mentioning how tough a week Max has had. Commented to my pal before the game today that it must have been quite an uncomfortable week for the boy but give him his dues, he never let it affect his performance today.

I did burst out laughing in disbelief when Wullie said McKechnie was to be loaned out (if AJ hadn't been sacked). Absolutely unreal. The boy showed today he's an attacking asset and AJ didn't think that was required to get us out this mess. Sums the guy up tbh.

Also interesting in regards to Murray and that there will be an announcement. Maybe thinking too much into Wullie's wording but if it was as simple as Murray coming in to assist you'd think he'd just say that? Co-manager or some such thing perhaps?

Think maybe other members of his coaching team? I can’t see him
Going co-manager. Think Murray could be a decent appointment hopefully being a defender will help us shore things up like today.

Thought Mckechnie did well today all things considered too, football is a funny old game how one manager can have you out the door and another has you basically straight in. Think it was a bit of a statement from Wullie also.

Wonder if we’ll bring someone in on loan with the window about to close? Could be wrong on that.

Well encouraged by today, I just wanted positives, and we got them and so nearly 3 points.

Think maybe other members of his coaching team? I can’t see him
Going co-manager. Think Murray could be a decent appointment hopefully being a defender will help us shore things up like today.

Aye possibly. I'm probably just over-reading things but Wullie's been pretty open so far so him being a bit reserved with that comment was just a wee bit surprising [emoji38]

Great interview with Willie Gibson after yesterday's game. How refreshing to hear our manager talk with passion, something missing since Gary Naismith left. He's given us more information about the team in the last week than we've had all season. For sure we won't go down without a fight and that continues next week. Hopefully Willie can get the best out of this squad, no easy task.

At the risk of repeating what's already been said on here ... but have just listened to WG's post match interview, brilliant stuff.  What a bloody tonic to hear some real positivity at long last and some good clear common sense said ... and he's a Dumfries boy himself.  Great stuff, top man.

There may be too much damage done already but the rest of the season should be interesting now.

There may be too much damage done already but the rest of the season should be interesting now.

Indeed. I went to Palmerston with some excitement/enthusiasm yesterday and left feeling happy/disappointed. Feeling disappointed was refreshing as daft as that seems. Leaving after a routine AJ defeat wasn't disappointing, it was expected. Last week when Morton scored their winner I was practically laughing due to how predictable it was. I'd have been crushed if we conceded late on yesterday.

I think WG is on a hiding to nothing due to how late our BoD acted but as long as there are signs next season wont be a complete shitshow then it'll be hard to feel too down.

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think WG is on a hiding to nothing due to how late our BoD acted but as long as there are signs next season wont be a complete shitshow then it'll be hard to feel too down.

Agreed. I think our realistic hope has to be 9th and the trap door play offs. Gotta hope. The fans are gonna back WG that's for sure.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Indeed. I went to Palmerston with some excitement/enthusiasm yesterday and left feeling happy/disappointed. Feeling disappointed was refreshing as daft as that seems. Leaving after a routine AJ defeat wasn't disappointing, it was expected. Last week when Morton scored their winner I was practically laughing due to how predictable it was. I'd have been crushed if we conceded late on yesterday.

A hiding to nothing perhaps but equally nothing to lose and if we show the same commitment in the remaining fixtures Wullie can turn out to be a miracle worker . Mon the South

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Agreed. I think our realistic hope has to be 9th and the trap door play offs. Gotta hope. The fans are gonna back WG that's for sure.

And IF we beat Ayr and Dunfermline lose, we'll already be up to the giddy heights of 9th by next Saturday evening!

13 hours ago, oldhat said:

And IF we beat Ayr and Dunfermline lose, we'll already be up to the giddy heights of 9th by next Saturday evening!

If you lose to Ayr then you are dead and buried, there would be 12 points of a difference between Queens and Ayr, although you would have a game in hand. It would be hard to claw that back with so few games left.

Edited by Buckfast

15 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

If you lose to Ayr then you are dead and buried, there would be 12 points of a difference between Queens and Ayr, although you would have a game in hand. It would be hard to claw that back with so few games left.

Depends on the other results. If Dunfermline lose, then Queens would still only be 3 points behind them. 
Finishing 9th and winning the play-offs is our best, realistic chance, imo.
Of course, if Dunfermline win on Saturday, it becomes a lot more difficult but I wouldn’t say we were dead and buried even then. If Johnston was in charge, there would be no point in even discussing this.

2 hours ago, Buckfast said:

Only true if we are trying to catch Ayr.  Most of us realise that our last real hope is catching the Pars for ninth and a shot at the play offs 

Hardly. We could get beat on Saturday and other results could mean we don't lose ground on any of the bottom 5 other than Ayr.

I'd say an Ayr win would effectively guarantee they don't finish bottom unless their arses completely collapse and us and Dunfermline manage to come in to some sort of mental form.
Only true if we are trying to catch Ayr.  Most of us realise that our last real hope is catching the Pars for ninth and a shot at the play offs 

I generally agree that Ayr are probably out of reach going by the form table. But we have them to play twice and a game in hand. They are certainly catchable if we somehow manage to start picking up wins.

I'd be over the moon with 9th spot at this point though.

Picture the scene:

Wullie Gibson scratches quietly on the mahogany panelled door to The Chairman's office.  A curt command sounds from within.

"Enter!"

Hesitantly, Wullie turns the polished brass handle and half-enters the enormous room.  The scents of cigar-smoke and beeswax, whisky and leather come to him across the thick Turkish carpet;  through the shadows he sees The Chairman seated behind a heavily-carved Jacobean table, illuminated by a single lamp and stroking a white cat which regards Wullie with a supercilious eye.

"Ah. Gibson." 

"Yes, Sir.  You wanted to see me, Sir?"

"Indeed, Gibson." The Chairman taps the ash from his cigar and fixes Wullie with a steely gaze. " I am told that you have been making statements to all and sundry, revealing genuine news from within The Club. This will never do, son."

Wullie feels a puckering sensation inside his boxer shorts but decides to defend himself.

"Yes, Sir, it's what the fans want."

"The fans?  Who gives a toss about the fans, Gibson?" replies The Chairman, leaning forward in his leather-bound chair and raising his eyebrows a little. "I say f**k the fans. And so will you, son, if you know what's good for you..."

Wullie clenches his buttocks and presses on, his knees starting to shake.

"I'm sorry, Mr Chairman, but I - "

Suddenly there is a commotion outside the office and the door flies open.  The white cat spits and leaps from Chairman Hewitson's lap as a tracksuit-clad figure bursts in.

"Mr Hewitson!  Mr Chairman, Sir!  Udoka Chima, Sir, someone has spotted him!  He's real, Sir, he really does exist!"

The Chairman pauses for a moment or two, thinking.

"Leave us, Gibson," he murmurs "This is serious.  And if you want those Velux windows fitted cheaply, you will forget everything you just heard.  Do you understand?"

Picture the scene:
Wullie Gibson scratches quietly on the mahogany panelled door to The Chairman's office.  A curt command sounds from within.
"Enter!"
Hesitantly, Wullie turns the polished brass handle and half-enters the enormous room.  The scents of cigar-smoke and beeswax, whisky and leather come to him across the thick Turkish carpet;  through the shadows he sees The Chairman seated behind a heavily-carved Jacobean table, illuminated by a single lamp and stroking a white cat which regards Wullie with a supercilious eye.
"Ah. Gibson." 
"Indeed, Gibson." The Chairman taps the ash from his cigar and fixes Wullie with a steely gaze. " I am told that you have been making statements to all and sundry, revealing genuine news from within The Club. This will never do, son."
Wullie feels a puckering sensation inside his boxer shorts but decides to defend himself.
"The fans?  Who gives a toss about the fans, Gibson?" replies The Chairman, leaning forward in his leather-bound chair and raising his eyebrows a little. "I say f**k the fans. And so will you, son, if you know what's good for you..."
Suddenly there is a commotion outside the office and the door flies open.  The white cat spits and leaps from Chairman Hewitson's lap as a tracksuit-clad figure bursts in.
"Mr Hewitson!  Mr Chairman, Sir!  Udoka Chima, Sir, someone has spotted him!  He's real, Sir, he really does exist!"
"Leave us, Gibson," he murmurs "This is serious.  And if you want those Velux windows fitted cheaply, you will forget everything you just heard.  Do you understand?"

You need to get out the house

32 minutes ago, oldhat said:

Picture the scene:

"Enter!"

"Ah. Gibson." 

Your talents I fear maybe wasted on here ... 👍😂

"Udoka Chima - Udoka continues to build up his fitness as he trains with the team. Unfortunately illness prevents him from playing with the Reserves this week."

Every time there is a tantalising suggestion that Chima actually exists something seems to happen which prolongs his invisibility. 🤣

You have to wait 7 years before a missing person can be declared dead, but I'm sure the courts are already beginning to prepare the paperwork for "The Missing Chima Case" in 2028.