The Queen of the South thread

I reckon Gibson might fall into the same trap that Kerr did and not realise how important a player he is to the team. It’s fine appointing a player manager but not when that player is arguably one of your most important. If he plays himself then who does he trust to sit in the dugout and if he doesn’t play himself then how will the team fair without him?

Wasn't in David Matheson in dugout when Gibson and Dobbie were co-managers due to covid, not the same i know.

But it is a good point you raise.

I reckon Gibson might fall into the same trap that Kerr did and not realise how important a player he is to the team. It’s fine appointing a player manager but not when that player is arguably one of your most important. If he plays himself then who does he trust to sit in the dugout and if he doesn’t play himself then how will the team fair without him?

You'd think this should have happened at the very latest after the pumping by Dunfermline to give the new manager time before you were cut adrift, but when you look at how rapidly some other sides have turned things round it might not be a case of too little, too late.

If it does end up being Gibson for the rest of the season there's a bit of a feeling there that it's just defaulting to the most senior player at the club and someone already on the coaching staff without considering if he's actually the right choice for manager in this situation, but that gamble is certainly a better shout than persisting with Johnston now anyway.

You'd think this should have happened at the very latest after the pumping by Dunfermline to give the new manager time before you were cut adrift, but when you look at how rapidly some other sides have turned things round it might not be a case of too little, too late.
If it does end up being Gibson for the rest of the season there's a bit of a feeling there that it's just defaulting to the most senior player at the club and someone already on the coaching staff without considering if he's actually the right choice for manager in this situation, but that gamble is certainly a better shout than persisting with Johnston now anyway.

I'm usually very meh when we promote from within but with Gibson I'm happy enough for him to get a shot. He's done a really good job with the reserves. They were rank before he took over and he's got them competing and playing some nice football. For that reason alone (though it's night and day in quality, I'm aware) I'm happy for him to get the remaining games of the season.

2 minutes ago, Riviera711 said:

We'd need to install a bigger swear box at the training ground. A shipping container should do it.

We could have made a fortune if swear boxes had been put in the Stands and Terracing the past few months. 

David Robertson wouldn't be an inspiring appointment for me but at least you tend to get better press coverage with Ex-OF players as Manager's. 

11 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yes, it's very much this.  

To be honest though, it doesn't even feel like a gamble.  If it had been announced that Johnston wasn't being replaced at all and the players were just to turn up and sort it out among themselves, I think most of us would still have seen it as a positive.