The Queen of the South thread

In truth, there's probably not much point now - certainly no rush.  The time to do it, in terms of this season, has passed.

Aye it's utterly pointless now IMO. That's the most depressing part. If they announced tomorrow he was sacked I certainly wouldn't be as pleased as I would 4/5 weeks ago. I doubt Gibson has enough time to turn it around now anyway. The right time to do it was when the other clubs around us saw the light. Instead we stick with a manager who had worse records than them. The Board are as much to blame for our relegation as everyone else IMO.

What do you think he told them.  Do think he told them 3 of them to miss the ball at the front post and Gordon to ball watch and not to pick up Riley. Do you think he told the defence to stand back and watch Morton play nice 1-2s at the edge of the box at the 2nd goal.  The players are supposed to be professional enough to show enough desire and fight when they’re on the pitch. I’ll agree there are far too many in the squad at nowhere near good enough.  Some are very lucky to be playing in the SPFL never mind the championship.   Far too many players hide behind it’s the managers fault and appear to be exempt from criticism.  

About from the obvious "Hiya Allan. Hiya Pal!" We're losing so many basic goals that you have to wonder wtf they do in training. A long ball over the top I'll give you, that should be dealt with comfortably by the defence.

But how many goals have we lost from corners/basic marking this season (because I gave up counting this season)? It's been a MASSIVE problem for us and yet there have been no signs of improvement. Surely that's an area we should be focussing on in training? Whatever we are doing the now isn't working and a manager should be trying to implement something that does work or at least work on improving. It's the same shit every video though. He blames the players and takes no responsibility for his own failures.

He assembled this squad of players. The buck stops with him.

Time to chill folks (think of your blood pressure) ..... the season's over now (but we knew that anyway) .... this team hasn't got 6 or 7 wins in it between now and May, end of.  Time now to dig out the postcodes for Grangemouth, Broadwood, Montrose, Dumbarton and Kelty.

The time to fix this was at the start of January, either change the coaching team or grab some stellar loanees or both - but we did none of those things.  We bought our ticket and we know where we are going.

As some have said on here recently, this isn't a surprise.  It's the result of a club strategy that has seen us having to build an almost entirely new and a mostly cheap full time squad for several seasons now and as a result we have been stinking out the bottom of the Championship for 3 or 4 seasons in a row now and avoiding our destiny by various kinds of "good fortune".  Now, eventually, we've been found out - was only a matter of time.

The strategy of course is set by the board.  Now we don't have clowns on our board, they are businessmen in their own rights who as far as I am aware run their businesses quite well - so in the wider commercial world they probably know what they are doing.  They will say that they inherited a mess and that this strategy has returned the club to a stable financial base.  So far so good.  The problem is that for a business to survive and thrive you don't just need to balance the books and have a strong cash position today, you also need to focus on healthy future turnover and this is the problem with this strategy - the fan base sees nothing attractive on the park and are melting away like snow in spring.  Hence the player budget will drop and to get anything like decent quality (in the long term, if not next season) we're going back to the part-time market.

Will the board act now?  I doubt it, this is their strategy and shelling out a heap of cash to change the management team doesn't appear to be a preferred option (hope I'm wrong).

Can we force the board's hand in this?  Well, the problem is that Queens fans are a generally decent bunch.  I can't see us blockading Buccleuch St. bridge in rush hour to embarrass the board (nor some of them even burning their wooden rattles).  As others have said on here, our protest will be by just not going any more.

What we should be doing between now and the end of the season is courting a young, enthusiastic, energetic up and coming coach and asking him to start identifying his squad preferences for next season now and making our moves for the coach and his squad early in the close season so that we hit the ground running in L1 (and not be still building our squad in August as per usual).

Also, and again to paraphrase others on here already, we ain't gonna romp through L1 like we did a decade or so ago, ain't happening.  This L1 will be a different beast entirely and likely to be full of Falkirk, Queens Park, Kelty Hearts who will be seriously backing their promotion bids financially.  The margin for error will be slim and the trapdoor at the bottom to L2 won't be far away either - take that step at our peril.

Seems like a pivotal moment for the club.  Big decisions looming for the board.

I’m shocked they’ve actually done it. Far too late, but better late than never. 

This. As I've a few posts back, this should have been done weeks ago. Absolutely ridiculous they've left it so late. The one good thing is what Otis Blue has alluded to in his post above. It gives Gibson (assuming it's him. I'll be shocked if it isn't) time to get a system in place for League 1 and start identify who he wants.

It gives the next league games some fresh optimism but I'm not expecting miracles from the next manager. If he has us looking less than utter shite he's done a good job.

Oh shit ...... Stephen Glass is free .....

Actually been told there's a former Rangers player very keen on the job. Personally hadn't heard of him but his prime was before my time. Be interesting to see if it goes external or if they just appoint Gibson as expected.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yes, seeing it now.   I think the site maybe went down for a moment.

It's obviously good news for us.  As you say, it feels like it lends a sense of purpose to attending our next game.  It's probably been left too late to help us this season though.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Actually been told there's a former Rangers player very keen on the job. Personally hadn't heard of him but his prime was before my time. Be interesting to see if it goes external or if they just appoint Gibson as expected.

Gibson's the obvious choice of the Board, it's what we do.

A Rangers player we haven't heard of ........ that's a teaser!