The Queen of the South thread

11 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Shambles, first we're told to cancel our DD or SO contributions to the Tanner Fund (which I just did today actually) and suggest ways of distributing the funds already paid, now it seems the Tanner Fund is carrying on and we're asked to  continue making donations.  I wonder if it's worth me bothering starting contributions again if there's so much uncertainty about its benefits or if the Club actually want the money. 

Are there any local players now or on the horizon that are deemed good enough for the Championship?  If you're scouting around the SOSFL or Lowland League I would say no chance. 

Edit to add: As for the idea of training in Dumfries, if staying full time, I see no problem with having training here at least one day a week and the rest in Hamilton or wherever. I doubt it really matters anyway as our performances look like training sessions are spent playing snooker. 

I think they perhaps dived in too soon advising contributors to cancel payments but this was done before the BOD offered them an olive branch. 
Real shame it took the TF lads to make such a decision before the BOD eventually made communication. 

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yep the idea of training in Dumfries gets raised periodically. I think it's a bad idea. 

We need to try the mix of full time and part time .

It worked at Raith Rovers to accommodate part time players they trained on a Tuesday and Thursday night .

This we must be  full time is all wrong Arbroath the perfect example 

We must still train in Hamilton otherwise we would never attract any decent players as most will stay in the central area none will want to travel to Dumfries to train .

FWIW I think the prospect of training in Dumfries is a total non starter. That would force a player recruitment campaign centred on the South of Scotland/North of England. The demographics simply don’t support that strategy in my opinion. However, I do think that a hybrid model could work. Our FT strategy means that we are not in the market for top end experienced PT players and let’s be honest there are plenty of those that would do a job for us. Another positive of signing good quality part timers is that they are more likely to stay for a few years. Alloa and Dumbarton (when in the Championship)

benefitted from this approach and Arbroath’s squad has a really settled look about it. 

For me, trying to sign 5+ really good part timers on top of a FT squad would really help us and possibly prevent the annual mass clear out of players. I don’t buy the benefits of FT training - it’s a myth. Arbroath appear to have more energy than most of their FT counterparts and our part timers could train elsewhere during the week to suit their work patterns. It might mean that we have less time to work on set pieces and “shape” which might actually help us given our performance on these aspects over the recent past.

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

We need to try the mix of full time and part time .

It worked at Raith Rovers to accommodate part time players they trained on a Tuesday and Thursday night .

This we must be  full time is all wrong Arbroath the perfect example 

We must still train in Hamilton otherwise we would never attract any decent players as most will stay in the central area none will want to travel to Dumfries to train .

Arbroath are just on a fluke.

Loan players will return and once bigger clubs come knocking flashing big money full time contracts they'll be ransacked. 

Loan players will return and once bigger clubs come knocking flashing big money full time contracts they'll be ransacked. 

A fluke is a disservice. The quality in the division is honking but Arbroath have been the best side I've seen play. They're not sitting top by fluke.

I'm not sure your second point stands either. The players will have jobs away from the game and for a lot of them there won't be big offers coming their way. Players like Gaston, Low or Linn aren't going to be chased by sides in the Premier League. They may well have offers from clubs in this division but combine their football wage with their work wage and I doubt a club in this division would be able to offer "big money" in comparison.

They seem to have a lot of older heads rather than up and coming youngsters so if they have a good thing going at Arbroath I doubt the side will be ripped to pieces.

18 hours ago, Kunter said:

How can you honestly call Arbroath a fluke. They are well organised team fronted by a manager who has respect in the whole of Scottish football. They pay slightly more to their part time players due to travel. But almost every year every single player wants to re-sign for their manager again even some that don't play all the time. He has a formation he plays that if you want to play you have to fit it.  You are telling me you would not take Dick Campbell in a minute over AJ. Campbell adds a couple of quality loan signings to his squad every year and he does not take premier League team kids with no experience into his squad. Nouble and Hamilton for example. He has a core of experienced players who would run through a brick wall for him and every player that comes in adopts the same attitude. Their crowds are going up and up and the club is on great shape. When you someone steering the ship properly that's what happens. 

For those interested, Wullie Gibson's reserve team are playing Threave Rovers at Palmerston in the Potts Cup on Friday night - kick off 7.30pm.  I've no idea if there is an admission charge or what stand is open as there is no mention of the game on the club website or social media as per usual.

We didn't need to bring in anyone in January, we needed to get rid of the problem which we failed to do.

We're fucked and it's exactly what our BoD deserve. Sadly, Falkirk can't be shit forever and Kelty and Queens Park will likely offer better contracts than us. Even at this stage I'm already thinking we'll do well to get a playoff place in League 1.

5 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

I agree, think we’re done. We really needed to bring in a bit of quality & experience in the January window and got neither.

Always said the transfer window in Jan was crucial to us get it right we had a chance but somehow AJ has made as worse gone for quanity rather than quality 

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

We didn't need to bring in anyone in January, we needed to get rid of the problem which we failed to do.

We're fucked and it's exactly what our BoD deserve. Sadly, Falkirk can't be shit forever and Kelty and Queens Park will likely offer better contracts than us. Even at this stage I'm already thinking we'll do well to get a playoff place in League 1.

You never know, let's not be negative!  We might even mount a challenge for 9th place in League 1 next season. 

Although even that would be an over-ambitious target if AJ is allowed to see out his contract.