The Queen of the South thread

52 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

Over the years I've generally supported the current Board. It's not easy running a football club at our level and it's always easier shouting from the sidelines but quite different when the ball is at your foot. And I'm not sure that the 'prawn sandwiches' at halftime make up for all the hassle. But this season I will admit my position is/has changed. The resignation of the supporter liaison officers and, more recently, the closing of the tanner fund added to the almost total lack of PR from the club has convinced me that change is required. The decision by the Board to hold the AGM, again without shareholders being present, is a concern. The legality of doing this I am sure has been checked. Using COVID as the reason/excuse bears closer scrutiny. COVID will be with us for years to come. It took over 3,000 years to eradicate smallpox so COVID will be with us during our lifetime. So will the Board keep using this as an excuse not to meet shareholders in an AGM? Granted holding an AGM in a hotel or in the Arena would not give the comfort of one or two meters between members but do we not own and occupy a stadium that can hold almost 8,000 people? Both Celtic and Rangers use their grounds to hold their AGM so it is doable, okay not comfortable, but it can be done. Using either the main stand or the new stand could easily provide the distance between members required and be set up so the Board can conduct an AGM. As I said probably not comfortable but I doubt there is any venue at present that would be comfortable for the current Board. On the playing side we were spared a horrible Saturday evening by yesterday's game being postponed but results elsewhere makes our survival in the Championship seem extremely unlikely. Not many of us think we would return to the Championship, if relegated, quickly and when considering this two words spring to mind...Brechin City. That club slid down the leagues and now play in the Highland league, which they look unlikely to win. If our Board are not careful the same could happen to us...just saying!

Only this season?

Weve had a relegation play off a few seasons ago, avoided all most certain relegation when the season was cut short thanks to COVID.

People involved with the club have been jumping ship left right and centre for years not to mention die hards. 

Weird manager departures, off field antics. It's the biggest shambles of a club known to man.

Stadium falling to pieces. 

I don't understand why it's taken folk so long to realise it. 

if this board ,mainly Hewitson aren't relieved of their duties quickly we will have no club left. 

Suppose we'll be able to build a few houses on the land though so not all bad... 

The time for wins has been any game this year. A win would have taken us away from the bottom and put some, a little pressure on others. A win now means we are still bottom and others will gain points next weekend so would not put as much pressure on others. Others teams may see games against us as must not lose but win and we will seal Queens fate.

Two wins needed t get off the bottom 0 be lucky to win 2 more games this season

On 05/02/2022 at 17:03, Greenacres said:

Think we will find out next week but what a difference Imrie has made to Morton .

Gus in charge poor same squad look a different team .

No point saying it now but we should have got rid of AJ gave ourselve a chance of staying up 

Totally agree with you for once. The teams above us took the decision, looks like it’s working for them.

I would just return to my original point and that is a meeting, as per the Articles of Association, could take place either using the stands within the stadium or using Zoom or Microsoft Teams. Many professional associations and companies have done this over the past few years rather than meeting behind closed doors. It would be interesting to find out the opinion of Companies House.

1 hour ago, BeeJay said:

Yes, prior to next year's AGM!

Yes I have never understood this and in normal business they are sent to all concerned, the shareholders in this instance, once they have been written up.

Well going by what the tanner fund are saying after discussions with the cboard I would say the club are already planning for life in League 1. Wanting to be a totally Dumfries based club limits the players that are available to us.  Train at Palmerston takes away the cost of training at Hamilton and all associated costs. Does the club think they can put a team on the park with players in our area and within the vicinity. As we all know players outside of that will be wanting considerable wages to make that commute 5 times a week. All for giving a pathway for our younger players. That does not seem to be happening at this time. We have Ryan Muir who looks a prospect but we brought in a loan player from Motherwell the same age. We had Scott Dunn who did well pre season but loaned out and when we brought him back we again signed another loan player in his position and loaned him out again. 

Well going by what the tanner fund are saying after discussions with the cboard I would say the club are already planning for life in League 1. Wanting to be a totally Dumfries based club limits the players that are available to us.  Train at Palmerston takes away the cost of training at Hamilton and all associated costs. Does the club think they can put a team on the park with players in our area and within the vicinity. As we all know players outside of that will be wanting considerable wages to make that commute 5 times a week. All for giving a pathway for our younger players. That does not seem to be happening at this time. We have Ryan Muir who looks a prospect but we brought in a loan player from Motherwell the same age. We had Scott Dunn who did well pre season but loaned out and when we brought him back we again signed another loan player in his position and loaned him out again. 
Dont think the club have said they will be training in Dumfries

37 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:
1 hour ago, Manwithnoball said:

Dont think the club have said they will be training in Dumfries

That's the way I read it from Tanner Fund twitter

IMG_20220208_143259.jpg

That's the way I read it from Tanner Fund twitter
IMG_20220208_143259.thumb.jpg.d68b75cda39f3e152e0feed400a0e98a.jpg

I read it more that the TF were hoping for the club to train back here rather than the BoD. I think it would be a massive mistake to move training back here FWIW.

I did laugh at the minimum wage comment mind you. I'm not sure £10 a week can be regarded as minimum wage but the club has clearly found some kind of loophole around it.

51 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I read it more that the TF were hoping for the club to train back here rather than the BoD. I think it would be a massive mistake to move training back here FWIW.

I did laugh at the minimum wage comment mind you. I'm not sure £10 a week can be regarded as minimum wage but the club has clearly found some kind of loophole around it.

Yep the idea of training in Dumfries gets raised periodically. I think it's a bad idea. 

Shambles, first we're told to cancel our DD or SO contributions to the Tanner Fund (which I just did today actually) and suggest ways of distributing the funds already paid, now it seems the Tanner Fund is carrying on and we're asked to  continue making donations.  I wonder if it's worth me bothering starting contributions again if there's so much uncertainty about its benefits or if the Club actually want the money. 

Are there any local players now or on the horizon that are deemed good enough for the Championship?  If you're scouting around the SOSFL or Lowland League I would say no chance. 

Edit to add: As for the idea of training in Dumfries, if staying full time, I see no problem with having training here at least one day a week and the rest in Hamilton or wherever. I doubt it really matters anyway as our performances look like training sessions are spent playing snooker. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs