The Queen of the South thread

We have signed Scott Dunn on loan until the end of the season. Thoughts anyone?

Aye, I'd rather he was with us tbh. We have 7 players on our books who have played CB for us this season and I don't think Dunn has done any worse than any of them. Instead we bring in another young CB to bolster our squad when Dunn would probably have been a fine enough option.

Let us know how he gets on but in the brief spell I've watched him I think he's looked decent enough. A relegation scrap with yourselves will probably be good experience for when he gets regular game time in our side.

Aye, I'd rather he was with us tbh. We have 7 players on our books who have played CB for us this season and I don't think Dunn has done any worse than any of them. Instead we bring in another young CB to bolster our squad when Dunn would probably have been a fine enough option.

Let us know how he gets on but in the brief spell I've watched him I think he's looked decent enough. A relegation scrap with yourselves will probably be good experience for when he gets regular game time in our side.

Cheers, thanks for that. Encouraging. Hopefully it works out for all concerned.

I don’t think I’ve seen him play, certainly not in the flesh, but was thinking he must be bad (or at least very lightweight) if he’s a worse option than our current ness of a defence

If we were to throw that kind of money around I'd much rather we went for a CM that's doesn't become invisible or a CB with a bit more experience in that role.

Cameron is a far better option in the system AJ is sticking within than Griffiths anyway.

And we’ve gone down the road of a star striker in a duff team before haven’t we.

On 31/01/2022 at 17:18, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm sorry but this is nonsense. The arrangement from the very start was that the Tanner Fund was there for when the club needed money to add to the budget for extra players. It was set up about 15 mins before Livingston sold Lyndon Dykes to QPR so handing us a large windfall and about a year before the the Govt then handed us half a million pounds in Covid grants. The club isn't remotely short of cash with not far short of a million quid in the bank and it would be morally wrong for them to ask for donation income to boost a playing budget in that circumstance. 

Am I the only person a bit uncomfortable that Queens seem to be sitting on half a million pounds of Government grants when people are having to choose between heating their homes or eating?

1 hour ago, Biblemaster said:

Am I the only person a bit uncomfortable that Queens seem to be sitting on half a million pounds of Government grants when people are having to choose between heating their homes or eating?

You should maybe be a bit more uncomfortable with the energy companies sitting on billions of pounds of profit to share among their already rich shareholders, and the exorbitant salaries paid to the energy company bosses, ( and the CEO's of other big businesses) ,while those less fortunate struggle to pay bills. If Queens have received Government Grants that presumes it has to be paid back at some time. 

Government grants are by definition free. It’s a loan if it needs to be paid back.

Championship clubs did seem very generously dealt with in terms of Covid funding. No idea if we’ve seen any money from the last set of government restrictions though which will have cost us a fair bit, especially missing Kilmarnock’s away support. 

27 minutes ago, JK_Queens said:

Government grants are by definition free. It’s a loan if it needs to be paid back.

Championship clubs did seem very generously dealt with in terms of Covid funding. No idea if we’ve seen any money from the last set of government restrictions though which will have cost us a fair bit, especially missing Kilmarnock’s away support. 

Yep, quite correct about grants, my bad. 

Who would have thought that just over a year from joining Queens on loan Izzy Jones would be playing 118 minutes at Old Trafford and helping his club to beat a first choice Man United team of 11 internationalists including a multiple Ballon D'Or winner and a World Cup winner and knocking them out of the FA Cup in the process?

It was obvious that he was too good for the Scottish Championship, but the progress he has made this season is astounding and a real credit to the guy.  I'm totally made up for him.  😊

Yes, fully agree re Izzy Jones. Talent, good attitude and hard work are a great combination.

Onto a more depressing subject, I've just been looking at the league table (I know, but I can't help myself) and the form guide for the last five games makes grim reading:

Hamilton - 5 points

Dunfermline - 8 points

Ayr - 7 points

Morton - 8 points

QOS - 2 points

It's already desperate, but another similar run and it's bye-bye Championship (and for how long?).

51 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Who would have thought that just over a year from joining Queens on loan Izzy Jones would be playing 118 minutes at Old Trafford and helping his club to beat a first choice Man United team of 11 internationalists including a multiple Ballon D'Or winner and a World Cup winner and knocking them out of the FA Cup in the process?

It was obvious that he was too good for the Scottish Championship, but the progress he has made this season is astounding and a real credit to the guy.  I'm totally made up for him.  😊

I think Middlesborough are using a bit of psychology sending young players to Queens. From the comfort of 1st class training facilities, kit laundry done for you, meals prepared for you after training, club transport to games, a meal before games, playing on good surfaces every week compared to life at Queens in the lower reaches of the Scottish Championship. Take your own car/car share to training and the majority of games, do your own training kit laundry, no after training meals or supply your own, no pre-match meal, or very rarely, and playing on a terrible artificial surface. From top professional standards to the vary basics of professional football, it's like a culture shock to make them realise what their future could hold if they don't buckle down and work hard. 

5 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

..... to make them realise what their future could hold if they don't buckle down and work hard. 

Very Dickensian, the ghost of your future if you don't buckle down. It's certainly been a positive path for Jones.

10 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I think Middlesborough are using a bit of psychology sending young players to Queens. From the comfort of 1st class training facilities, kit laundry done for you, meals prepared for you after training, club transport to games, a meal before games, playing on good surfaces every week compared to life at Queens in the lower reaches of the Scottish Championship. Take your own car/car share to training and the majority of games, do your own training kit laundry, no after training meals or supply your own, no pre-match meal, or very rarely, and playing on a terrible artificial surface. From top professional standards to the vary basics of professional football, it's like a culture shock to make them realise what their future could hold if they don't buckle down and work hard. 

Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣ (Romania)'s review of A Clockwork Orange

1 minute ago, Riviera711 said:

Very Dickensian, the ghost of your future if you don't buckle down. It's certainly been a positive path for Jones.

It was more to emphasise how Queens appear to have become more amateurish in their approach to full time professional  football. 

AJ: Repeat after me, QOS are a progressive, free-flowing, ball-playing football team, based on the Dutch total football philosophy where every player can play anywhere on the pitch (apart from their own natural, preferred position, of course).

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

Yeah, pleased for Izzy Jones.  Totally forgot that game was on the box last night.  Ended up working late and only seen extra time when I finished work and realised that it was on the telly.  Wish we still had him now.