The Queen of the South thread

Just now, Flash said:

If the club has already spent more money than usual on the squad and it is bottom after 22 games, all the more reason for Johnston to be binned.

Going by how shite ourselves, Ayr, Dunfermline and Hamilton have been this season even if your budget was halved this year being bottom of this shite heap is reason to be binned

2 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Going by how shite ourselves, Ayr, Dunfermline and Hamilton have been this season even if your budget was halved this year being bottom of this shite heap is reason to be binned

Exactly my point. Johnston previously had the lowest budget excuse. Turns out to be tripe. The club is so well off, it doesn’t need any extra from the fans. So, the budget must be much higher than usual. And yet, here we are.

19 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm sorry but this is nonsense. The arrangement from the very start was that the Tanner Fund was there for when the club needed money to add to the budget for extra players. It was set up about 15 mins before Livingston sold Lyndon Dykes to QPR so handing us a large windfall and about a year before the the Govt then handed us half a million pounds in Covid grants. The club isn't remotely short of cash with not far short of a million quid in the bank and it would be morally wrong for them to ask for donation income to boost a playing budget in that circumstance. The squad is bigger than it's been in living memory. People can think those players aren't good enough but it's not for the lack of numbers and signings.

tl;dr: 'We've got hunnerz of money, but we've chosen not to use it to sign better players, cos reasons'.

If that's really the case, you deserve to go down.

22 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm sorry but this is nonsense. The arrangement from the very start was that the Tanner Fund was there for when the club needed money to add to the budget for extra players. It was set up about 15 mins before Livingston sold Lyndon Dykes to QPR so handing us a large windfall and about a year before the the Govt then handed us half a million pounds in Covid grants. The club isn't remotely short of cash with not far short of a million quid in the bank and it would be morally wrong for them to ask for donation income to boost a playing budget in that circumstance. The squad is bigger than it's been in living memory. People can think those players aren't good enough but it's not for the lack of numbers and signings.

They really can't win on this one. And I've no idea why the Tanner Fund committee can't just sit on the money (freeze contributions if they wish) until it's needed. If I'd given significant money towards the idea of raising funds for the club and the custodians of it were now mooting giving it away to an unrelated charity instead I'd be fizzing about it. I haven't so I'll leave it to those who have to say what they want to do with it but I don't understand the statement they've put out at all.

Have you been taking lessons on PR from Tory politicians??

23 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They really can't win on this one. And I've no idea why the Tanner Fund committee can't just sit on the money (freeze contributions if they wish) until it's needed. If I'd given significant money towards the idea of raising funds for the club and the custodians of it were now mooting giving it away to an unrelated charity instead I'd be fizzing about it. I haven't so I'll leave it to those who have to say what they want to do with it but I don't understand the statement they've put out at all.

This is what happens when a club shows an interest in its supporters and a fund raising idea . 

008C2A63-F84C-413C-A1DD-1C6AC43FEE09.png

SD I accept your assessment that the club has plenty  of funds at the moment as the balance sheet shows this. However if that is the case and money is available and yet we are bottom Of the league does that not then suggest the problem is with the manager and his choice of player?

43 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Some very good points made their SD.

That said, if, as is being suggested those involved with the fund have made multiple attempts to communicate with the board and have had no response then that is piss poor in all honesty. 

I like your suggestion of sitting on the fund and freezing contributions. Maybe if the board had discussed the matter with the relevant folks that position might have been more easily achievable.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

I’ll play a bit of devil’s advocate, but something should be coming from the Board. 

It’s a financial objective of the Board to deliver a balanced budget. We are already making losses this year, so have overspent. Signing better players at higher wages is not sustainable. Especially if we are trying to offer two year deals this increases the risk. We can’t afford to keep making losses by paying unsustainable amounts on players. 

For me, money at that scale shouldn’t be doing nothing. Having reserves is good as a buffer- having reserves at a really high level is not. This is a time where interest levels at a record lows (albeit might increase). Is there really no positive investments we can make that will deliver a return? The club is in such a precarious position at the bottom of the table, I would be using some money to roll the dice. Be that punting the manager (my preference) or pushing the boat out on 6 month deals on better players before we get relegated. 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Get off your high horse and actually recognise horrific mismanagement when it is there in front of your eyes. Your points around the balance sheet are, of course, valid. However, the squad were currently have is absolutely rancid, and here we have an active fan group who have amassed a decent total being met with a complete wall of silence by the club. 

All it would take is an open conversation with those managing the fund. Yet again, though, the board have shut themselves off, to the detriment of the club. It is disgraceful. It is horrific mismanagement. 

Edited by die hard doonhamer

"Noooooooo Skyline you fool!  Don't tell them about the money!  You'll only go and blow my bullshit "lowest budget in the league" excuse right out of the water!"

image.png.27bbf8b0f7ac1281b871d049745e3faf.png

Edited by Slipmat

I still haven't recovered from Saturday's game yet. That first half was truly, truly awful. To say that we improved second half is definitely putting a positive spin on it. More accurately, we found it impossible to remain as useless as we were in the first half.

It's taken me a couple of days to bring myself to catch up with the chat here; depressing (but accurate) stuff in the main. The club has a real sense of being on a downward slide. If things remain the same the fans are going to keep dwindling away. Our three season tickets won't be renewed for a start. A real shame but I don't see any real effort being made by those in charge.

This club is an absolute f*cking joke. Look up the phrase “inner circle” and that describes perfectly the BOD and all those attached to it.

These are dark times for the club as we stumble from disastrous PR exercise to the next. I like many others are totally disillusioned with it all and I’ve voted with my feet.  

Edited by Mustafa_sheet

Well it is good to hear the club is flush with money. We have a shite team, but a healthy bank balance. As a supporter, you can’t really ask for more than that. 

Will there be an opportunity for the fans to get their picture taken with the bank statement? 

Edited by qos_75

31 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

Well it is good to hear the club is flush with money. We have a shite team, but a healthy bank balance. As a supporter, you can’t really ask for more than that. 

Will there be an opportunity for the fans to get their picture taken with the bank statement? 

^^^ This 👍

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm sorry but this is nonsense. The arrangement from the very start was that the Tanner Fund was there for when the club needed money to add to the budget for extra players. It was set up about 15 mins before Livingston sold Lyndon Dykes to QPR so handing us a large windfall and about a year before the the Govt then handed us half a million pounds in Covid grants. The club isn't remotely short of cash with not far short of a million quid in the bank ...

Well .... that's all the perceived financial constraints excuses well and truly in the bin then ...