The Queen of the South thread

12 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Changes to loan rules from the summer - From July 1 this year clubs will be allowed only eight players in or out on loan. That drops to seven from 2023 and down to six the following July. It means senior teams won't be able to loan out the same number of players as they currently do

That’s not quite right. It’s the international loan rules that are changing, domestic loans will be on top of those numbers. And players under the age of 21 won’t count towards the limits. 

23 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I wouldn't close the book on Cameron just yet and Cochrane is pure speculation at this point. Try not to wet your knickers too much before the 31st.

So, given SD's club position I'd interpret this as a lightly veiled message to all Doonhamers on here to relax cos announcements are imminent .... and there's a good chance Cameron will return (especially as big Lafferty has now landed at Rugby Park), Cochrane hopefully will remain (and could even be fit one day), Kylian Mbappe's brother is just waiting for international clearance and Erling Haaland has told Dortmund, Madrid, PSG, Liverpool, Chelsea, City and United that his real ambition is to test himself in a Scottish Championship relegation battle ... sorted, like! 👍

Edited by Otis Blue

Win-win for us I'd say. I wouldn't want him to go but wouldn't be devastated if he did and if he did go we would be due a nice wee price for him given he's on a 2 year deal.

This “not too fussed if he leaves” opinion seems to be the norm among Queens fans. I tend to look at things in a slightly different way. I know Cochrane hasn’t yet set the heather on fire, but i would say he is definitely a championship standard player. The more championship-standard players we retain in the squad long-term, the better our chances of survival and becoming a better team will be.
I would say that the championship-standard guys currently are Rae, Gibson, Cooper, Todd, Connolly, Cochrane & McKay.
Some have shown the potential to become good championship players - McGrory, East, Paton, Max Johnston, Nditi & Cowie - so again i would be keen for the majority of them to stick around and hopefully improve.
The guys I would put into the “ not fussed if they leave” category would be Junior Soares, Roy, Liddle, Debayo, Joseph & (disappointingly) Fitzpatrick.
McKechnie, McMahon & Chima come into the “ no idea” category!
So, a very long-winded way of saying I would rather keep Cochrane.

This “not too fussed if he leaves” opinion seems to be the norm among Queens fans. I tend to look at things in a slightly different way. I know Cochrane hasn’t yet set the heather on fire, but i would say he is definitely a championship standard player. The more championship-standard players we retain in the squad long-term, the better our chances of survival and becoming a better team will be.
I would say that the championship-standard guys currently are Rae, Gibson, Cooper, Todd, Connolly, Cochrane & McKay.
Some have shown the potential to become good championship players - McGrory, East, Paton, Max Johnston, Nditi & Cowie - so again i would be keen for the majority of them to stick around and hopefully improve.
The guys I would put into the “ not fussed if they leave” category would be Junior Soares, Roy, Liddle, Debayo, Joseph & (disappointingly) Fitzpatrick.
McKechnie, McMahon & Chima come into the “ no idea” category!
So, a very long-winded way of saying I would rather keep Cochrane.

I never said I wouldn't be fussed, I said I wouldn't be devastated. I'd rather he stayed as well but at least if he goes we'll be financially compensated (which certainly wouldn't be a bad thing in these times).

I like Cochrane as well and have defended him numerous times on here when he's been getting a rough time. I'd argue he's out most underrated player within the squad tbh. As I said earlier, I don't think it's a coincidence that our midfield has been far far worse since he's been out.

I never said I wouldn't be fussed, I said I wouldn't be devastated. I'd rather he stayed as well but at least if he goes we'll be financially compensated (which certainly wouldn't be a bad thing in these times).

I like Cochrane as well and have defended him numerous times on here when he's been getting a rough time. I'd argue he's out most underrated player within the squad tbh. As I said earlier, I don't think it's a coincidence that our midfield has been far far worse since he's been out.

Yeah, i get all that and its all about opinions at the end of the day. I just want us to get out of that cycle of having to try and identify & sign 15 championship standard players every season - its such a gamble and we invariably end up signing 5 or 6 that aren’t up to standard

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's us bottom then.

The challenge now is not staying there into the spring.  Next week might go a long way to determining how likely that is.

If we lose next week, the board should turn their attention to succession planning for the manager’s job.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

If we lose next week, the board should turn their attention to succession planning for the manager’s job.

We should have moved him on at start of January. The fact we are 3 weeks in and only 1 signing in January with the prospect of losing Cochrane also. Trialists are not going to keep us in this division. We need 2 centre halfs a solid defensive midfielder and a nippy striker.

45 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

We should have moved him on at start of January. The fact we are 3 weeks in and only 1 signing in January with the prospect of losing Cochrane also. Trialists are not going to keep us in this division. We need 2 centre halfs a solid defensive midfielder and a nippy striker.

Think the manager has already said he needs 2 CB and players in other positions 

Signings never happen early in January in the market we are playing in. We are going to be mainly looking at loans. Teams willing to loan players out are still finalising the make up of their squads, and won’t want to release anyone until they’ve done that.

Clubs will be well aware of who AJ wants in on loan, but they won’t be willing to say yes until they’ve made all of their own first team squads sorted. I’d expect a busy week and a bit ahead.