The Queen of the South thread

Sounds like I need to take in some under-18s games.

They actually play some decent stuff at times tbf. They have absolutely nothing up front sadly. The goals tend to come through Gibson and Naylor funnily enough.

48 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Sounds like I need to take in some under-18s games.

Maybe if these games were advertised a bit more, as well as reserve games, then more people might go along and watch. Now I'll probably be told they are announced on the OS or Twitterbook or whatever. 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Maybe if these games were advertised a bit more, as well as reserve games, then more people might go along and watch. Now I'll probably be told they are announced on the OS or Twitterbook or whatever. 

I don't think they have been announced enough recently to be honest, but if they were, where exactly else should they be but on the club's Official Media channels? They were regularly advertised on those pre-pandemic but with restrictions on attendance for most of the last 2 years, they generally haven't been. Not even parents were allowed to attend for most of 2020/21. There are no fixtures at this time of year other than short notice friendlies Wullie sometimes arranges for his Reserve squad which largely includes the 18's but when organised  fixtures return we need to get back to advertising them better.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

They actually play some decent stuff at times tbf. They have absolutely nothing up front sadly. The goals tend to come through Gibson and Naylor funnily enough.

If Lewis Gibson scores goals he's already a step ahead of his dad!  That was the one thing missing from the young Wullie's game, the ability to put the ball in the back of the net.  I think I'm right in saying that his only first team goal during his 100 odd game first spell with Queens was that screamer he scored against Montrose in the cup.

St Pat's Athletic want to make another Scottish raid and this time they are after Harry Cochrane, writes Scott Burns.

The Irish side snapped up Tom Grivosti from Ross County earlier this week and they now want to land the Queen of the South midfielder.

Has he been good for yous this season ?

He's been injured a few weeks now and I don't think it's a coincidence we've been gutter in the middle since. He isn't exactly pulling the strings in the middle of the park but I'd say he's quietly effective.

Win-win for us I'd say. I wouldn't want him to go but wouldn't be devastated if he did and if he did go we would be due a nice wee price for him given he's on a 2 year deal.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He's been injured a few weeks now and I don't think it's a coincidence we've been gutter in the middle since. He isn't exactly pulling the strings in the middle of the park but I'd say he's quietly effective.

Win-win for us I'd say. I wouldn't want him to go but wouldn't be devastated if he did and if he did go we would be due a nice wee price for him given he's on a 2 year deal.

Was just starting to hit good form after a slow start then he got injured .

As long as we get more than we payed for him then good luck to him.

2 hours ago, DundeeUnited9999 said:

St Pat's Athletic want to make another Scottish raid and this time they are after Harry Cochrane, writes Scott Burns.

The Irish side snapped up Tom Grivosti from Ross County earlier this week and they now want to land the Queen of the South midfielder.

Has he been good for yous this season ?

Overall quite disappointing. A couple of flashes here and there. He had 2 poor loan spells away from Hearts before joining us. Don't imagine we paid much to Hearts for him. If he goes I don't think to many fans would be bothered. Small profit is better than no profit. 

If Johnston was looking to add 4 players, did the 4 include replacements for Brynn, Cameron and Cochrane, so really adding 1 player? Was Shea Gordon possibly Cochrane’s replacement? So, he would now be looking for a keeper, a striker and one other?
Or did the 4 include a keeper, but not replacements for Cameron and Cochrane? So, if Cochrane goes, he will be looking for 6 this month (1 keeper plus 5 outfield). After already signing 1 he’d be looking for a keeper plus 4 more outfield?

You make it sound like AJ has a plan. Scant evidence of that at any point.

If Johnston was looking to add 4 players, did the 4 include replacements for Brynn, Cameron and Cochrane, so really adding 1 player? Was Shea Gordon possibly Cochrane’s replacement? So, he would now be looking for a keeper, a striker and one other?
Or did the 4 include a keeper, but not replacements for Cameron and Cochrane? So, if Cochrane goes, he will be looking for 6 this month (1 keeper plus 5 outfield). After already signing 1 he’d be looking for a keeper plus 4 more outfield?

41 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

You make it sound like AJ has a plan.

By all accounts AJ does indeed have a plan .... it is, I'm reliably informed "a cunning plan" ... 😏

4 hours ago, Flash said:

This window so far has been a disaster for Queens .

Brynn Cameron and now possible Cochrane the idea was to make the squad better not worse. 

AJ still has time but I have not really got confidence in him to get the players in we need 

Brynn Cameron and now possible Cochrane the idea was to make the squad better not worse. 
AJ still has time but I have not really got confidence in him to get the players in we need 

Similar to window when we lost mccrorie, brownlie and el balk. Only covid saved us

Brynn is annoying as he's not even on the bench. A Boro pal has said to me he's competing for back up slot. You'd think a goalie's development is better served by playing games particularly for a side where he'll have lots of saves to make.

Similar to window when we lost mccrorie, brownlie and el balk. Only covid saved us

12 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Losing Brynn was a disappointment but Rae's been great since he stepped back in. I wouldn't close the book on Cameron just yet and Cochrane is pure speculation at this point. Try not to wet your knickers too much before the 31st.

6 hours ago, qos1990 said:

Well, that and the fact we weren't bottom and Thistle were no better. That was certainly a horrible window for us though, albeit the latter two were sold for good fees.

1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Brynn is annoying as he's not even on the bench. A Boro pal has said to me he's competing for back up slot. You'd think a goalie's development is better served by playing games particularly for a side where he'll have lots of saves to make.

Middlesbrough lost their 3rd keeper, who moved to Germany. They clearly need 3 with potential Covid issues. Even if he's their 3rd choice (which he currently is) they aren't going to let him back out. All clubs need to have 3 keepers available. You can't emergency recall on an international loan. Middlesbrough were very happy with his progress here, they took him back because they needed to, and because he's currently rated a little higher than Hemming at Killie.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Losing Brynn was a disappointment but Rae's been great since he stepped back in. I wouldn't close the book on Cameron just yet and Cochrane is pure speculation at this point. Try not to wet your knickers too much before the 31st.

Well, that and the fact we weren't bottom and Thistle were no better. That was certainly a horrible window for us though, albeit the latter two were sold for good fees.

Middlesbrough lost their 3rd keeper, who moved to Germany. They clearly need 3 with potential Covid issues. Even if he's their 3rd choice (which he currently is) they aren't going to let him back out. All clubs need to have 3 keepers available. You can't emergency recall on an international loan. Middlesbrough were very happy with his progress here, they took him back because they needed to, and because he's currently rated a little higher than Hemming at Killie.

I’m just curious whether the 4 players Johnston mentioned included a keeper, so 3 outfield, less 1 already signed, so 2 more to come in. And whether it will still be 2 more if Cochrane leaves and Cameron doesn’t return. Or whether, in that case we’ll get 4 more outfield players. I suppose we’ll find out soon enough. Just not that much else to talk about this week.
The other thing is - do you know whether the JRG are still insisting on covid passports for crowds of over 1,000? Or have they come into line with the legislation that says they’re only needed for outdoor crowds of 4,000 and over (some standing) or over 10,000 (all seated)? 

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They took him back because they’d rather Hemming is playing games and not filling a space on a bench with no hope of game time.

26 minutes ago, Flash said:

I’m just curious whether the 4 players Johnston mentioned included a keeper, so 3 outfield, less 1 already signed, so 2 more to come in. And whether it will still be 2 more if Cochrane leaves and Cameron doesn’t return. Or whether, in that case we’ll get 4 more outfield players. I suppose we’ll find out soon enough. Just not that much else to talk about this week.
The other thing is - do you know whether the JRG are still insisting on covid passports for crowds of over 1,000? Or have they come into line with the legislation that says they’re only needed for outdoor crowds of 4,000 and over (some standing) or over 10,000 (all seated)? 

I have no idea how many people AJ is trying to get in (and wouldn't repeat it if I did). At the time he said it though Brynn was already gone so I think you can safely assume it either included a keeper or he doesn't intend to sign one at all.

I'm not aware of the JRG changing any guidance at all and, as far as I am aware, if we deem next Saturday's game as likely to have an attendance over 1,000 then everyone will need a vaccine passport. I note Dunfermline have said everyone going to their game v Inverness which presumably won't have a 4,000 crowd will need a vaccine passport.

18 minutes ago, Killiefan said:

They took him back because they’d rather Hemming is playing games and not filling a space on a bench with no hope of game time.

They took him back because he's 4th choice and Hemming is 5th. Which is also why they let Hemming out on loan earlier in the first place.