The Queen of the South thread

On 17/01/2022 at 13:18, Kunter said:

Be doing well to put even a scratch on 700k for 2 or 3 players s from now till April. 

Is that not a pre-tax amount? I've no idea what the nett amount will be, and it's probably not all ring fenced for players anyway. Even if half of that is available it's still be a handsome amount to have. I would even use some of it to try and entice Lee Connelly to extend his contract. 

4 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Ourselves, Ayr and Hamilton after Paul Watson supposedly. 

What was the story behind Watson's hasty departure from Dunfermline?

Disagreement with the disagreeable Peter Grant?

Training ground fisticuffs?

Musical differences?

1 minute ago, Slipmat said:

What was the story behind Watson's hasty departure from Dunfermline?

Disagreement with the disagreeable Peter Grant?

Training ground fisticuffs?

Musical differences?

He told Grant he had Covid and fucked off on holiday. Was rumbled when he showed up back at training with a tan and got sacked. 

I would not be in favour of signing him, as regardless of the situation the team is in, that’s a horrendous way to conduct yourself. 

6 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

He told Grant he had Covid and fucked off on holiday. Was rumbled when he showed up back at training with a tan and got sacked. 

I would not be in favour of signing him, as regardless of the situation the team is in, that’s a horrendous way to conduct yourself. 

Thanks.  I didn't know that.

I'd agree with you, we could do with good players but not bad apples.

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Is that not a pre-tax amount? I've no idea what the nett amount will be, and it's probably not all ring fenced for players anyway. Even if half of that is available it's still be a handsome amount to have. I would even use some of it to try and entice Lee Connelly to extend his contract. 

There's no tax.

8 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Ffs man. It's bad enough we supported those arseholes with That vote. Now we're outright behaving like Rangers...

Glasgow Rangers and Ken Dodd have a couple of things in common, they used the same tax accountants and they're both dead. 

10 hours ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Queens under 18s, with some first team players, won 6-1 last night

Some? I make it 7 from the first team squad...

787973709_Screenshot_20220119-074205_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.0593bdb7cb20d6730d6b9fbc7b338ef5.jpg

Quite right though with no game this weekend. Would've been a good run out for them, and a good test for an in form and league leading St Cuthbert Wanderers side.

24 minutes ago, temps15 said:

Mark Reynolds joins Cove rangers 

Wonder if we where ever in for him ,

maybe location helps as he was with Dundee united.

Location is a big factor as he stays in Aberdeen .

At his age he wants to go part time plus very good wages at Cove.

Hopefully we are still in for Paul Watson he has the experience we need.

2 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

Some? I make it 7 from the first team squad...

787973709_Screenshot_20220119-074205_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.0593bdb7cb20d6730d6b9fbc7b338ef5.jpg

Quite right though with no game this weekend. Would've been a good run out for them, and a good test for an in form and league leading St Cuthbert Wanderers side.

Weeeellllll, 7-ish. There are actually 9 there who train up the road on a daily basis as full time footballers. There's little doubt that Josh Debayo and Ruben Soares Junior (19 1st team starts each this season), and the likes of Roy, Fitzpatrick and probably Joseph are regular first teamers. although the latter two only have 6 starts between them this season.

Kieran McKechnie hasn't kicked a first team ball in over a year and has never started a 1st team game. Dom McMahon has a career total of 6 sub appearances and Ryan Muir has 1. They both play in the League above Saints. Charlie Cowie is 17 and is the u18's keeper whether he's played twice for the first team or not. He's our No 3 keeper who happens to be No 2 currently because Brynn hasn't been replaced yet.

Two other members of the 18's in Chris Stewart and Lewis Gibson (who is 16) started the game. Johnstone, Oram and Naylor who came on are all 18's. But yes, a very strong side for the South Cup and a wee bit harsh on Saints who would inevitably not have faced such a strong side if we'd had a Scottish Cup game this weekend.

I'd agree it's not an u18's side by any stretch of the imagination. It's fairly genuinely a reserve side though despite the inclusion of Debayo and Soares Junior. Nobody started the game who started at Inverness on Saturday.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

32 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Weeeellllll, 7-ish. There are actually 9 there who train up the road on a daily basis as full time footballers. There's little doubt that Josh Debayo and Ruben Soares Junior (19 1st team starts each this season), and the likes of Roy, Fitzpatrick and probably Joseph are regular first teamers. although the latter two only have 6 starts between them this season.

Kieran McKechnie hasn't kicked a first team ball in over a year and has never started a 1st team game. Dom McMahon has a career total of 6 sub appearances and Ryan Muir has 1. They both play in the League above Saints. Charlie Cowie is 17 and is the u18's keeper whether he's played twice for the first team or not. He's our No 3 keeper who happens to be No 2 currently because Brynn hasn't been replaced yet.

Two other members of the 18's in Chris Stewart and Lewis Gibson (who is 16) started the game. Johnstone, Oram and Naylor who came on are all 18's. But yes, a very strong side for the South Cup and a wee bit harsh on Saints who would inevitably not have faced such a strong side if we'd had a Scottish Cup game this weekend.

I'd agree it's not an u18's side by any stretch of the imagination. It's fairly genuinely a reserve side though despite the inclusion of Debayo and Soares Junior. Nobody started the game who started at Inverness on Saturday.

Debayo and Soares junior are no better than reserve players on last nights showing and last few league games, thought Mckechnie looked pretty sharp & very quick due a wee chance in first team now. 

31 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Weeeellllll, 7-ish.

I completely agree with the ish! Also agree that it was very much a reserve team despite the inclusion of first team players.

I was counting Debayo, Joseph, Roy, Soares, Fitzpatrick, McKechnie and Cowie.

Of course McKechnie is just coming back from long term injury, but hopefully when fit he's a first team player.

Yes, Cowie is a youth keeper, but he's also the current number two, and as you say he trains with the first team daily. I know McMahon does too, or at least I knew he did, but I wasn't counting him.

It'll be interesting to see how Lewis Gibson does over the next couple of years. He's long been talked about as one of the best school age players in the region, plus there's the obvious connection. I hope some sort of reserve league comes back next season so he can regularly play competitive games with and against senior players.

It'll be interesting to see how Lewis Gibson does over the next couple of years. He's long been talked about as one of the best school age players in the region, plus there's the obvious connection. I hope some sort of reserve league comes back next season so he can regularly play competitive games with and against senior players.

Watched him a few times for 18's. I can't see him not featuring for the first team in the near future tbh. There are another couple in that group that could probably make the step up if they continue the way they are, which is obviously a good thing for us.

As for Gibson, it's frightening how similar he is to his dad. Right down to the attitude [emoji38] Similarly to Young Wullie, he frequently tries to take someone on when a pass is the better option. But he isn't scared to take people on and has scored a couple of genuinely high quality goals. I reckon he'll play with us for a bit and once he screws the nut and sorts his final ball (much like his dad did) he'll be off to better things.

Debayo and Soares junior are no better than reserve players on last nights showing and last few league games, thought Mckechnie looked pretty sharp & very quick due a wee chance in first team now. 

Debayos form really has fell of a cliff after a decent enough start, was there the other night and both him/Ruben again looked absolutely rubbish. I know it’s saints, and not a usual opposition so hard to get themselves up for it but still would expect them to stand out and they just didn’t. Was pretty impressed with young boys who came on briefly. On mckechnie, he’s absolutely rapid, if he can get an end product he’ll be a good option.

Was pretty impressed with young boys who came on briefly.

I noticed 3 of them came on. Johnstone has been very up and down when I've watched him. Sometimes the game passes him by but then other times he's looked very good in the middle and he has a goal in him which is always good for a CM. Oram is a player we've been needing in the middle of the park for years. He never shirks a tackle and is tidy enough on the ball. Naylor has more often than not been the stand out whenever I watch the 18's. Like Gibson, he isn't afraid to run at people and he has a cracking cross as well. The latter two and Gibson I'd expect to make the first team if they continue going the way the are. Johnstone definitely has a shot as well if he can find that consistency.

It's certainly more positive than the last time I watched the youngsters regularly when on Connor Murray really stood out.