The Queen of the South thread

I don't think he's much of a wide player. Done alright as a #10 or sitting off the #9 in a few games, especially KFC away.

Either did I tbh. I watched him a lot for our reserves/18's (can't recall exactly what they were called at the time) and he stood out a mile at that level. He was deployed more often than not in the 'No 10' role and was really good at it. Was a bit surprised/underwhelmed when he was used wider for the first team.

If he wasn't going to potentially play for us then we wouldn't have recalled him - it would be in out interest for him to stay with you and potentially score against our title rivals.

If you're relying on Cameron firing you to promotion then you're as well getting settled in to life in the Championship.

Bringing in loanees from other teams in this division, who can't get a game (ie aren't deemed good enough) for those teams doesn't really seem like a strategy that's going to dig us out of this perennial mess.

A more encouraging strategy would be to look at the league above and find a promising player who needs game time but can't yet break into a side at that level.  Of course, AJ is no doubt making those sorts of enquiries but all the other Championship sides will be sniffing around those options also.  Just gotta hope folks, just gotta hope ....

No question Cameron started slowly with us but he was excellent away at Arbroath, same type of performance  at Dunfermline and was really prominent against Ayr. Scored in all of these games, held the ball up and linked well with Connelly. No coincidence that we lost every game recently that he wasn’t playing.I know that some of you have unbelievably high standards but for me he is a very decent option at this level. Works his butt off for the team, good attitude and a young player very likely to improve. I hope I’m wrong but I will be pleasantly surprised if we get anybody better as a replacement.

6 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

No question Cameron started slowly with us but he was excellent away at Arbroath, same type of performance  at Dunfermline and was really prominent against Ayr. Scored in all of these games, held the ball up and linked well with Connelly. No coincidence that we lost every game recently that he wasn’t playing.I know that some of you have unbelievably high standards but for me he is a very decent option at this level. Works his butt off for the team, good attitude and a young player very likely to improve. I hope I’m wrong but I will be pleasantly surprised if we get anybody better as a replacement.

I wasn't that impressed when we signed Cameron and his early games seemed to me to back up that view but he's done well in his last few appearances for us. Sorry to see him go. Absolute priority to get a striker in now.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Fowler might have had input into the decision given that Cameron didn’t play against Cove which indicated it was already likely he was going back before the next round of the Cup.

Or the terms of his loan could have simply prevented him being cup tied.

I doubt he'd have been recalled had Robinson not got an injury last weekend which required a scan and it looks like he'll be out for a while.

I think our latest losses had a lot more factors than just having him out tbh. No shots on target in the last two - I know Cameron got a couple of goals for us and was indeed rated by some but I doubt we'd have been any better off in the last two games if he was playing, based on what I saw of him.

51 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It wasn't "likely", but neither was it inconceivable so they wanted to keep their options open. It's pretty standard in loan deals. Zander Clark wasn't allowed to play in the Scottish Cup early rounds when he was here too in case St Johnstone recalled him. They didn't though and he played the later ones.

It wasn't even "likely" at 3pm last Saturday but things change unfortunately. His fate was probably sealed when Scott Robinson limped off.

Fair enough. So, if Johnston was saying on Saturday that he was looking to add 4 players, does that mean he’ll be looking for 5 now?

Bang on, we’d finally worked out how to get best out of him

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think our latest losses had a lot more factors than just having him out tbh. No shots on target in the last two - I know Cameron got a couple of goals for us and was indeed rated by some but I doubt we'd have been any better off in the last two games if he was playing, based on what I saw of him.

Not really fussed with Cameron leaving. Seemed to play better with Alloa last season than he did at Queens.

Cameron looked terrible on paper, was woeful first few games, then looked OK but only through graft, not gosls. He won't fire Killie to promotion, nor would he be the guy to keep us in the championship.

Almost instantly forgettable.

Then looked ok but not for goals even though he got 3 in 3. Our current options are a downgrade from him, a big one at that

1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

I’d like to see a realistic option to replace Cameron emoji2375.png

Maybe give Ally Roy a chance or Paton up front. I don't see why we always need to have a big man up front (ie Cameron, Junior) just so we've got someone to launch balls up to. Cameron was ok once he got the ball under control but it was usually two or three touches before he managed that and he was often robbed.