The Queen of the South thread

The reason why the Manager cannot trust Nditi at CB should be pretty obvious by now:-
A daft penalty conceded against  ICT
A sending off at Cove for a rash challenge deep in his own half which cost us big time
Two daft free kicks conceded at EEP in dangerous positions which both led to goals
Allowed Hughes to run uncontested into penalty box from a simple throw in leading to a terrible refereeing blunder
Allowed Shaw to get wrong side of him and then needlessly fouled him leading to another refereeing howler

Nditi played much of the time for Forfar at RB. I think there is a player in there but let’s not pretend that it’s some sort of big injustice that he is not playing at CB. 

If you are prone to diving in and committing fouls as he has proved the deeper you deploy the player the more likely it is that he will concede penalties, dangerous free kicks and get red cards.

He's still committing these fouls in the middle of the park though. If the manager doesn't trust him to play CB why should he trust him to play anywhere?

If he is insisting on playing him at all then why not play him in a position he's played best for us? I've seen nothing from him in CM that convinces me he should be there rather than CB.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Was he indeed? Did the manager consult you on this before he signed him? He wasn't even playing regularly at centre back for Forfar.

He played pre-season in central midfield after signing. He dropped into centre back for the League Cup group games as McKay wasn't fit, Broadfoot chose to go to Inverness and we'd signed nobody else at that point. He was playing alongside Scott Dunn and Euan East. When the League season started he was at left back. How many games has he actually played at centre back? Very few, most of his games back there were at sweeper behind McKay and Debayo when we played a three.

And I don't think Debayo was signed any more as a left back than as a centre back either. It was known he could play either role and we already had Alex Cooper at the club for left back.

Gibson can play anywhere other than goal and still probably be our best player. 12 months ago people were moaning about playing a winger / midfielder at right back. Now you're moaning he's a Right Back. He doesn't need pigeonholed as anything in particular although ideally I'd like two established centre backs in place so he can be more influential on the ball, whether that be from full back or central midfield, particularly in the continuing absence of Cochrane.

Have a word with your BOD friends and tell them to sack that clown of a manager before even more damage is done to our football club. 

Thanks. 

Edited by the_palmy_pie

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye I liked that part/s. He plays a boy out of position week on week and then goes on to throw the boy under the bus. No self blame for the fact we were as threatening as a wounded butterfly yesterday though?

Everyone's fault but his own.

This.

He blames both the officials and Nditi.  It can't be both - either Nditi has committed rash fouls which the refs have rightly penalised or he has tackled fairly and the refs have got it wrong.

4 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

This.

He blames both the officials and Nditi.  It can't be both - either Nditi has committed rash fouls which the refs have rightly penalised or he has tackled fairly and the refs have got it wrong.

I don’t like the public criticism of players, but that isn’t mutually exclusive. 

Nditi’s pull was a foul but the ref gave a penalty for something close to 5 yards outside the box. 

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

This.

This is plainly nonsense. It quite clearly can be both. The defender can be the wrong side (which he was in both recent penalties) and commit an actual foul (which he did v Kilmarnock) and the referee still get it wrong.

2 hours ago, Slipmat said:

This.

I’m sorry but that’s nonsense. Two really poor refereeing decisions don’t absolve Nditi from (again) being caught wrong side. Neither are penalties. The one v Hamilton he allows an opponent to run into the box unchallenged from a throw in and is by any definition wrong side.  Against Killie he does foul his opponent and  is yet again wrong side. It’s never a penalty but again if he does his job there’s no decision to make. 
Both the officials and Nditi make errors here. It can and indeed is both 

11 hours ago, Slipmat said:

This.

Why can’t it be both? Nditi allowed Hughes to get the wrong side of him from a simple throw in and run into a dangerous position in our box. He didn’t commit a foul on that occasion but it was very poor play on his part that allowed that passage of play to develop. He also had every justification to be very let down and annoyed by the Ref who made a very poor decision.

On Sat he again let Shaw get on the wrong side of him. Rather than attempt to get back goalside or usher him wide he grabbed Shaw and committed a clear foul which the Ref “guessed at” from a poor vantage point and awarded a pen. Regardless of the decision it was poor play by Nditi. Reading between lines  I suspect that Mgt Team have been trying to get Nditi to make better decisions on the pitch by improving his positional play and resisting the urge to “dive in” or make rash unnecessary challenges. The fact that Nditi is on a bad run of similar errors over the past few weeks that have been costly in terms of results - is clearly an issue for the Manager.

As I have said before there is a lot to like about Nditi as a player and I think he’s got potential but as a team this season we have continually gifted big opportunities to the opposition and sadly for us we haven’t been getting many in return. This generosity has to stop if we are to stay up.

46 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Why can’t it be both? Nditi allowed Hughes to get the wrong side of him from a simple throw in and run into a dangerous position in our box. He didn’t commit a foul on that occasion but it was very poor play on his part that allowed that passage of play to develop. He also had every justification to be very let down and annoyed by the Ref who made a very poor decision.

On Sat he again let Shaw get on the wrong side of him. Rather than attempt to get back goalside or usher him wide he grabbed Shaw and committed a clear foul which the Ref “guessed at” from a poor vantage point and awarded a pen. Regardless of the decision it was poor play by Nditi. Reading between lines  I suspect that Mgt Team have been trying to get Nditi to make better decisions on the pitch by improving his positional play and resisting the urge to “dive in” or make rash unnecessary challenges. The fact that Nditi is on a bad run of similar errors over the past few weeks that have been costly in terms of results - is clearly an issue for the Manager.

As I have said before there is a lot to like about Nditi as a player and I think he’s got potential but as a team this season we have continually gifted big opportunities to the opposition and sadly for us we haven’t been getting many in return. This generosity has to stop if we are to stay up.

Nditi is still young he will hopefully learn from these mistakes .

This is the problem with Queens we have far too many young players who have never played at this level before be lucky if any have even played 50 games.

Our 2 best players are Gibson and Todd no surprise with the experience they have 

Regardless of the decision it was poor play by Nditi. Reading between lines  I suspect that Mgt Team have been trying to get Nditi to make better decisions on the pitch by improving his positional play and resisting the urge to “dive in” or make rash unnecessary challenges. The fact that Nditi is on a bad run of similar errors over the past few weeks that have been costly in terms of results - is clearly an issue for the Manager.

I expect your first part is right as Nditi's stupidity* is indeed a frustration. I think it should be dealt with 'in house' though and can't think of any good slating the boy/blaming him for a defeat does.

Your second paragraph is a far far bigger concern for me (and should be for all QoS fans) in that not only are we not being gifted big opportunities, we are creating absolutely no opportunities for ourselves. Todd had half a chance but if that's worth noting then by christ we are in serious trouble.

I'd much rather AJ addressed that frightening issue rather than berate one of our players for large chunks of the post match interview.

* Granted, the punishment was extremely harsh the last two weeks.

15 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Have a word with your BOD friends and tell them to sack that clown of a manager before even more damage is done to our football club. 

Thanks. 

I would save your breath Palmy Pie as its a futile experience trying to reason  with anyone at the club. It’s as if Billy has given his entourage the Total Recall treatment!!  

The whole club may well be towing the company line but it’s in complete denial. Remember SD sees nothing wrong with the current state of disrepair that Palmerston is in!!!!

Edited by Mustafa_sheet

42 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

I would save your breath Palmy Pie as its a futile experience trying to reason  with anyone at the club. It’s as if Billy has given his entourage the Total Recall treatment!!  

The whole club may well be towing the company line but it’s in complete denial. Remember SD sees nothing wrong with the current state of disrepair that Palmerston is in!!!!

Too busy eating prawn sandwiches with Billy on match day to notice. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I expect your first part is right as Nditi's stupidity* is indeed a frustration. I think it should be dealt with 'in house' though and can't think of any good slating the boy/blaming him for a defeat does.

Your second paragraph is a far far bigger concern for me (and should be for all QoS fans) in that not only are we not being gifted big opportunities, we are creating absolutely no opportunities for ourselves. Todd had half a chance but if that's worth noting then by christ we are in serious trouble.

I'd much rather AJ addressed that frightening issue rather than berate one of our players for large chunks of the post match interview.

* Granted, the punishment was extremely harsh the last two weeks.

This. We’ve gone from seemingly creating and missing chances to not even creating them. And the problems at the back are just the same.
People said before that they’d be more worried if we weren’t creating the chances, so here we are. The penalty was poor defending and a bad decision from the officials. But we’d still have got nil if they’d only given a free-kick.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

This. We’ve gone from seemingly creating and missing chances to not even creating them. And the problems at the back are just the same.
People said before that they’d be more worried if we weren’t creating the chances, so here we are. The penalty was poor defending and a bad decision from the officials. But we’d still have got nil if they’d only given a free-kick.

The reality of our plight this season is that we need our best players on the pitch and when we are without key players it is a struggle. Cameron isn’t necessarily a great player at this level but he holds the ball up well, works really hard and when absent is a huge miss. Junior tries hard and has some ability but never looks like scoring and doesn’t really link the play either.We were comprehensively outplayed on Sat - no question about that and we created two Todd half chances which was a very poor return for a home game. I think it is unfair to even analyse the Hamilton match because that became mission impossible after 20 minutes and I defy any manager to transform that hopeless position at 0-1, ten men and a host of key players out into the bargain.

if you look at the two games before that though - we played really well at EEP, created loads of chances and scored 3 goals. Ayr at home was a great attacking performance - over 20 shots, dominated the ball and should have won 5 or 6. Trouble is that  Covid re-emerges with a vengeance and any short term momentum that we had was lost. Same for other clubs as well but timing  was poor for us.

We need players like McKay, Gibson, Cochrane, Connelly and Cameron forming the backbone of the team and when most or some of these are missing with a low budget squad at our disposal it becomes a big challenge.  I believe we could have run that Killie team very close with most of our top players available but with key absences it was a big ask and we didn’t make an impact.

We are in big trouble - no doubt and we definitely need some new faces but we need some luck in avoiding injuries/absences to key players.

4 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

The reality of our plight this season is that we need our best players on the pitch and when we are without key players it is a struggle. Cameron isn’t necessarily a great player at this level but he holds the ball up well, works really hard and when absent is a huge miss. Junior tries hard and has some ability but never looks like scoring and doesn’t really link the play either.We were comprehensively outplayed on Sat - no question about that and we created two Todd half chances which was a very poor return for a home game. I think it is unfair to even analyse the Hamilton match because that became mission impossible after 20 minutes and I defy any manager to transform that hopeless position at 0-1, ten men and a host of key players out into the bargain.

if you look at the two games before that though - we played really well at EEP, created loads of chances and scored 3 goals. Ayr at home was a great attacking performance - over 20 shots, dominated the ball and should have won 5 or 6. Trouble is that  Covid re-emerges with a vengeance and any short term momentum that we had was lost. Same for other clubs as well but timing  was poor for us.

We need players like McKay, Gibson, Cochrane, Connelly and Cameron forming the backbone of the team and when most or some of these are missing with a low budget squad at our disposal it becomes a big challenge.  I believe we could have run that Killie team very close with most of our top players available but with key absences it was a big ask and we didn’t make an impact.

We are in big trouble - no doubt and we definitely need some new faces but we need some luck in avoiding injuries/absences to key players.

I agree with most of that. However, I wouldn’t read too much into the Dunfermline and Ayr games. Morton beat Dunfermline 5-0 and Ayr look like they were completely dispirited before sacking Duffy. I think if we played them now, it might be a different game. And we had just about all of the squad available (apart from Cameron) when we lost 4-0 at Rugby Park.
I really don’t think we’re 2 points off bottom of the league after 20 games with just over half the points of the team in 5th mainly because we’ve had some bad luck with injuries or absences. I think the table doesn’t lie. We’re possibly slightly better than Dunfermline and it looks like we’re going to start to fall behind Hamilton, Ayr and Morton.

23 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

What positions you thinking?

I know you aren't asking me, but I'll answer anyway 😁

A centre-back, a right-sided midfielder and 2 strikers who can actually hit the target would be ideal.

That said, if Cochrane is still weeks away from fitness I'd dispense with one of the above strikers for a central midfielder.

The news that restrictions on crowd numbers are to be lifted while welcome is probably due more to the forthcoming rugby Six Nations than it has to do with Public Health science. Yet another example of how rugby is treated more favourably than football. Not sure though that Queens will benefit much from this the way we are playing!