The Queen of the South thread

I may be wrong but I think the confusion is because it says there are general admission tickets "on sale" whilst additional season ticket holders can "enter a ballot". That wording gives the impression, to use Homer's numbers, that 150 of the remaining tickets might be sold as general admission whilst season ticket holders are going through the ballot process. Then, if >50 season ticket holders enter the ballot, there will not be enough tickets to go around, and either some season ticket holders will have to miss out or some general admission tickets will have to be cancelled.

I haven't looked into it but I assume that's not actually how it's working, and both season ticket holders and the general public can secure a ticket immediately, with the only difference being that season ticket holders don't have to pay.

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

CB Sanders sent off for Killie tonight so will miss game v Queens on 8th Jan as will prob GK Hemmings once his red card appeal fails from boxing day game. 

Lets hope AJ takes a different to approach to our last fixture against Killie otherwise they could replace those two with players from their 14's and still cruise the game.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Lets hope AJ takes a different to approach to our last fixture against Killie otherwise they could replace those two with players from their 14's and still cruise the game.

Yes, we need to show the same work-rate and commitment that we showed in the 1st game at Palmerston.  I don't think Killie are as good as back then, and we've (hopefully) improved a bit so a win for us is not out of the question but Johnston has got to believe this too. 

43 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Is the Accies game on Sunday on?

E-mails of ticket confirmation have now been sent out, but I suppose it could be a late announcement if the game actually goes ahead  depending on Covid test results being received in time. It might even be Sunday morning before the decision is made. I have absolutely nothing to base this on mind. 

14 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

E-mails of ticket confirmation have now been sent out, but I suppose it could be a late announcement if the game actually goes ahead  depending on Covid test results being received in time. It might even be Sunday morning before the decision is made. I have absolutely nothing to base this on mind. 

There's no decision to be made as it stands. If the game was today both teams would be playing. It is of course possible either team may have a flood of positive tests tomorrow or Sunday (all SPFL footballers are required to test daily now) but there's no issue with the game right now.

On 29/12/2021 at 12:20, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Maybe its a cost thing. I've absolutely no idea who pays loanees wages, but if our own keeper is fit we could possibly put any money saved by letting Brynn go on other January targets. Brynn has been good for us on the whole but Id rather see our own keeper who I think is more than capable,  getting in ahead of a loanee.

Maybe Brynn has had some input on the decision to return, he's bound to do a bit of travelling to play here.

I think Brynn's been decent and it looks as though the move has worked for the player and both clubs - just as it did for Izzy Jones who now appears to be a first team regular at Boro.  If this win-win recent history is working and the relationship between Queens and Boro is good, you never know - Boro might offer another promising loanee to Queens in the January window .... clutching at straws a bit, but you never know, eh?

On a personal trivia kind of thing here and wonder if anyone can help ....

I know that my first ever competitive Queens game was a home league game in April 1971 against Partick Thistle.  However, my first memory of attending Palmerston was being taken to the main stand to watch a friendly - I'm pretty sure it was against Preston North End and it must have been around about 1969 - 1970 or thereabouts - and "NO" in case anyone asks, it definitely wasn't the Preston game that opened our new floodlights in 1958!

So my question is ... does anyone recall a home friendly with Preston in the late 60's-1970 period, and when it took place?  Or is there a way I could find out on line (Google having let me down)?  Iain McCartney's excellent centenary book doesn't cover friendlies unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Ah well, that's my idea of getting another Boro loanee doon the pan then ....

Yeah, I'm fairly confident they won't be isolating with Covid for 31 days to be fair. We'll not be getting a goalkeeper though. Dejan Stoyanovic, their previous 3rd choice, departed for a German club now that Sol is back to replace him.

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

On a personal trivia kind of thing here and wonder if anyone can help ....

I know that my first ever competitive Queens game was a home league game in April 1971 against Partick Thistle.  However, my first memory of attending Palmerston was being taken to the main stand to watch a friendly - I'm pretty sure it was against Preston North End and it must have been around about 1969 - 1970 or thereabouts - and "NO" in case anyone asks, it definitely wasn't the Preston game that opened our new floodlights in 1958!

So my question is ... does anyone recall a home friendly with Preston in the late 60's-1970 period, and when it took place?  Or is there a way I could find out on line (Google having let me down)?  Iain McCartney's excellent centenary book doesn't cover friendlies unfortunately.

Queens played out a goalless draw with PNE at Palmy on 1/8/1970.

Team was Allan Ball, Graham McEwan, Hugh McLean, Jim Kerr, Colin Scott, Iain McChesney, Joe Sloan, Donnie McIntyre, Keith Houliston, George Dickson & Sammy Murray.  Jim Donald came on as a sub for McIntyre.

This was Chopper Dickson's debut in a Queens shirt btw.

I must point out that I don't recall the game (I wasn't there - I was six months old at the time(!)), I just have the stats for most Queens friendlies on file!

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

Team was Allan Ball, Graham McEwan, Hugh McLean, Jim Kerr, Colin Scott, Iain McChesney, Joe Sloan, Donnie McIntyre, Keith Houliston, George Dickson & Sammy Murray.  Jim Donald came on as a sub for McIntyre.

I must point out that I don't recall the game (I wasn't there - I was six months old at the time(!)), I just have the stats for most Queens friendlies on file!

I was at this game and remember the PNE skinheads being thrown out the main stand ......don't think Dumfries was ready for youth culture then.

19 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Brilliant!  Thanks Slipmat - that date (pre-season friendly 1970) sounds just right - I've been trying to recall that date for a few years now.  The nil-nil score also rings a bell.  Would have been the first professional football match I had attended - 12 years old back then (strewth)!  Got my season ticket and started going regularly after that season.  Jim Donald .... top man.  Donald and Dempster - great pairing.

Don't recall (Stravaigar's) PNE skinheads in the main stand ... not to say it didn't happen though.

Thanks for helping out folks, appreciated.

On 31/12/2021 at 16:09, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah, I'm fairly confident they won't be isolating with Covid for 31 days to be fair. We'll not be getting a goalkeeper though. Dejan Stoyanovic, their previous 3rd choice, departed for a German club now that Sol is back to replace him.

Yep, had a wee peek on the Boro website this morning and saw that Izzy Jones has signed a new deal through to 2025 - his spell at Queens has done him no harm at all.

Fond memories of the old Ayresome Park; worked down there in 1980 and Boro were a good side in the English 1st Division as it was then - Spike Armstrong (left winger) was their top player back then and pretty sure he got capped for England too.