The Queen of the South thread

My feelings are that Ruben is a poor  finisher but he still offers more than Cameron who is a complete waste of a jersey on the evidence of what I’ve seen.  Loaning a player deemed not good enough for a team in the same division is crazy.

Yep. If Junior gets 5 chances he'll convert one if we're lucky. But the thing is he finds himself in these scoring positions surprisingly often when he's upfront. It's rare for Cameron. I don't even think it's particularly his fault. He's used as a target man for an out ball. He won a fair few flick ons yesterday but no one got on the end of them. Sadly his first touch with his feet was more often than not absolutely awful.

I'm not against loans and I don't think Junior is the answer to our problems but he's a far better option IMO. Thankfully AJ won't be able to play Cameron on Tuesday and we're automatically going to carry more of an attacking threat.

From what I've seen of Ruben he gives everything, is very mobile, is a handful for defences and seems to suit a passing/pressing game better than Cameron. But granted he's not prolific in front of goal, but that may come, he's young. So it'll be interesting to hopefully see him get another run out on Tuesday.

Myself and a few others on here have speculated that we may be contractually obligated to play Johnston and Cameron under their loan deals ... that could be bollocks, I just don't know ... quite depressing if true though. Something tells me that surely has to be bollocks though, surely?

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

From what I've seen of Ruben he gives everything, is very mobile, is a handful for defences and seems to suit a passing/pressing game better than Cameron. But granted he's not prolific in front of goal, but that may come, he's young. So it'll be interesting to hopefully see him get another run out on Tuesday.

Myself and a few others on here have speculated that we may be contractually obligated to play Johnston and Cameron under their loan deals ... that could be bollocks, I just don't know ... quite depressing if true though. Something tells me that surely has to be bollocks though, surely?

Ruben may not be the world's best finisher but he can hold onto the ball and fashions out far more chances than Cameron, also his goal to game ratio is actually better than Cameron's.  Johnston's continual selection while others rotate between pitch and bench must surely be down to nepotism - surely no-one would be stupid enough to sign a 17 year old on a must-play deal?

If it is indeed true that the contracts are of the must play if available type, we should just cancel them as neither player has shown themselves to be any better than what we already have.   This also applies to Liddle.

This would have the added advantage of reducing AJ's options to fanny about with formations and force him to play players in their best position.  We do much better when his hand is forced.

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

You’d think it would have to be nonsense. Otherwise, Motherwell and Kilmarnock are effectively helping to pick the team. I wonder if, in Cameron’s case, it is more that Johnston asked for some extra cash to help pay Cameron’s wages, so he’d look like a bit of an idiot if he then left him out. Not sure, though. Maybe Johnston just thinks Cameron is better.
Was Cameron left out for the Cove game because Killie don’t want him cup-tied? Would that mean we might only have him for four more games?

14 minutes ago, Flash said:

You’d think it would have to be nonsense. Otherwise, Motherwell and Kilmarnock are effectively helping to pick the team. I wonder if, in Cameron’s case, it is more that Johnston asked for some extra cash to help pay Cameron’s wages, so he’d look like a bit of an idiot if he then left him out. Not sure, though. Maybe Johnston just thinks Cameron is better.
Was Cameron left out for the Cove game because Killie don’t want him cup-tied? Would that mean we might only have him for four more games?

Yep, has to be nonsense. What manager would lock himself into a situation where his job could be on the line due to being forced to pick players that might be underperforming. Ain't gonna happen. You might have a point with the extra cash angle, never thought of that.

The January window is gonna be big for AJ, Queens and also for Morton and Ayr ...... who'd be a fitba manager? ..... no pressure there then.

11 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Should Ally Roy not be considered for a starting place if Cameron is out, don't see why it necessarily has to be Junior who comes in.  

Agree the team are at their best when they get the ball forward quickly along the ground with Paton, Connolly Roy & Todd all attacking. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He literally started the first game against Cove 10 days ago.

One start in how many games? Sounds like AJ's bit reluctant to me. And I do realise Roy was out  injured but he's been on the bench so available for a few games now. 

On 05/12/2021 at 20:18, Otis Blue said:

Yep, has to be nonsense. What manager would lock himself into a situation where his job could be on the line due to being forced to pick players that might be underperforming. Ain't gonna happen. You might have a point with the extra cash angle, never thought of that.

The January window is gonna be big for AJ, Queens and also for Morton and Ayr ...... who'd be a fitba manager? ..... no pressure there then.

23 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Should Ally Roy not be considered for a starting place if Cameron is out, don't see why it necessarily has to be Junior who comes in.  

12 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Agree the team are at their best when they get the ball forward quickly along the ground with Paton, Connolly Roy & Todd all attacking. 

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

He should be. But given AJ seems reluctant to play him, he won't be.

11 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He literally started the first game against Cove 10 days ago.

11 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

One start in how many games? Sounds like AJ's bit reluctant to me. And I do realise Roy was out  injured but he's been on the bench so available for a few games now. 

10 hours ago, FrankReynolds said:

🤦

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

And immediately dropped for the next two games.

Don’t worry, the impending 2 or 3 loan signings from South of the border will help save the day!!

33 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:

Not convinced Junior, Cameron or Roy are the answer. All very poor IMO.

But they're probably the best we have to pick from in that position at the moment unless I'm overlooking someone. Cameron would be third choice in the list imo. East might be in with a shout but hasn't had the opportunity to show it up front this season, and Joseph is no more that a squad player. Bringing more strikers in on loan would probably only muddle Johnston's brain up even more. 

19 hours ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Don’t worry, the impending 2 or 3 loan signings from South of the border will help save the day!!

Amen, brother, amen!

Don't know about "from South of the border", but January loans have been key to our survival for a few seasons now.

In Magic we trust .... perhaps, well maybe, possibly ....