The Queen of the South thread

THAT was a very good display last night...just hope we can turn it on again on Saturday but Thistle will be a much harder nut to crack than Morton were last night. Paton deserves a lot of credit for the way he stuck to his task for the winning goal and Connelly was a real pest to Morton all night. A really good team performance. 

34 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

It will be interesting to see the managerial candidates that emerge for the Morton job, as we will be likely be fishing from the same pool if AJ goes.
Personally, if AJ does go at some point, i’d be on the phone to Dobbie to see if he is interested.

There are plenty of proven duds who will be sniffing around any potential vacancies, especially those who have recently been punted by our rivals.

I'd love to see Dobbie in the job one day, but I'm not sure if now is the time - if he came in and didn't turn things around I'd hate his reputation to be tarnished through being in charge of a team that got relegated.

Thinking back to Naysmith's dismissal and AJ being appointed within a couple of days I suspect the board will have someone in mind that they will sound out before AJ is shown the door, not that I expect that to happen until the new year at the earliest.  I wonder if history will repeat and AJ gets replaced by Jim McIntyre?

Personally I feel the board should look outside the Scottish football bubble and appoint someone from down south if possible.  If it can work with players (Ayo/Shields/Connelly for example all coming from lower league English clubs) there's no reason why it shouldn't with managers.  I thought that when Steve Bruce was ditched by Newcastle that Ben Dawson may have been punted too but Eddie Howe has kept him on.  I've no idea if Dawson would have been remotely interested in QOS (perhaps the ex-player pull factor may have tempted him) or what wages he would demand, and that boat has probably sailed now anyway, but that is the kind of outside-the-box thinking I'd like to see when we do finally rid ourselves of AJ.

Back onto yesterday, heartening to see on clubs twitter vote an array of suggestions, which I think proves it was another decent performance from the players. For me it was Paul McKay, but it could’ve been any of him Cooper, Connelly, Cochrane. We quite clearly have issues infront of goals but I really hope Johnston keeps the jist of this team starting maybe one or two changes when needed.

I feel Cooper and Todd down the left needs to be continued with, they seem to be striking a decent understanding and only going to get better. McKay in middle of defence has been an underrated signing, we just need someone beside him, Gibson has performed admirably the last two games but not sure how long we’ll get away with it. Have to say i think Max Johnston is getting better also at full back position. Harry Cochrane getting better and starting to influence games, becoming the player I hoped and although I wouldn’t have played him at centre mid I thought Nditi did a job in there. Paton prob his most involved performance, still not convinced with him but gives a lot of effort. Connelly is just a must in the 10, wish we could get him tied down to a new deal. Cameron upfront, jury is still out.

We’re quite clearly still needing a couple of players but I think if we can get them of real quality, we’ll be fine. I still want us to try keep this team together and build on it, as it does have potential to be a decent side.

Looking at the Morton thread where they are highlighting how poor Gus’s league record was. It was
P24 W3 D11 L10 F21 A31 Pts 20.  Points per game 0.83.

Compare that with Johnston’s last 24 league games
P24 W4 D6 L14 F21 A37 Pts 18.  Points per game 0.75

21 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

You may be right but at present Willie is our best full back, best midfielder, most creative winger and add to that arguably our best central defender.

Not sure what that says about the rest of them.

1 hour ago, Manwithnoball said:

What's the thoughts of dropping Ruben after he had his best game for us. I don't see what AJ sees in Cameron that he always plays when available. Obviously him and Nditi won't be available on Tuesday so will AJ go back to the starting 11 from Morton game. Or will he have something else in mind 

My feelings are that Ruben is a poor  finisher but he still offers more than Cameron who is a complete waste of a jersey on the evidence of what I’ve seen.  Loaning a player deemed not good enough for a team in the same division is crazy.