The Queen of the South thread

Its times like these I'm glad I'm 10000 miles away on the other side of the World and don't have to watch this pish every week. I was excited when Magic was re-appointed but results and performances have been awful. Its time for a change, and certainly before its too late and we're cut off in 10th place.

Is the problem the players? 
Or is it the manager? 
Or is it the board? 
Or is it the major shareholders who are failing to hold the board accountable? 

I don’t know the split of shares but I’ll be very surprised if the major shareholders and the board aren’t one and the same thing. Certainly if we include the honorary board members in that.

21 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I don’t know the split of shares but I’ll be very surprised if the major shareholders and the board aren’t one and the same thing. Certainly if we include the honorary board members in that.

I understood they weren't, but I can't actually recall who precisely the major shareholders are. Skyline has previously posted it in this thread. Happy to be proven wrong if someone can dig it up. 

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

5 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Don’t agree.

You don't have to. Falkirk have struggled to get back to the Championship. A good few seasons in League One may not be so bad. More of a chance of getting into the top four if relegation occurs from the Championship.

I understood they weren't, but I can't actually recall who precisely the major shareholders are. Skyline has previously posted it in this thread. Happy to be proven wrong if someone can dig it up. 

Fair enough. As I said I don’t know who the major shareholders are. Just making an assumption. Could well be erroneous.

Due to the fact Queens are struggling every season in recent times to stay in the Championship. At least in League One they'd have a better chance of consistency and winning games.

We struggle to attract decent players when we're a Championship side and crowds are dwindling. I'm not sure I understand your logic that playing in a league below for a few seasons will improve those two things. We'll have less money coming in as the away crowds are a lot worse so our budget will be a lot less. Struggling for survival in the Championship, though shit, is still a far better prospect than challenging for a top 4 finish in League 1.

10 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

Who played well Inthe first half in your opinion?

Is that a trick question? Not one of the outfield players looked like they knew what they should be doing, a few looked like they'd never been on a football pitch before, midfielders especially. Inverness were too strong physically and too quick and organised leaving Queens chasing shadows. Gibson and Connolly at a push might escape too much criticism, Cameron has a thankless task but couldn't trap a bag of cement and his flick-ons, the few he did win, invariably went nowhere. We struggled to put two passes together before losing possession and our nice build up play from the back was just one full back playing it square to the goalie or other full back a few times before it was inevitably hoofed up the park and possession was lost again. Inverness were quite happy to let us play around back there where there was no danger to them.  The substitutions helped get us back into the game, but the first half performance was nothing short of embarrassing. 

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

We struggle to attract decent players when we're a Championship side and crowds are dwindling. I'm not sure I understand your logic that playing in a league below for a few seasons will improve those two things. We'll have less money coming in as the away crowds are a lot worse so our budget will be a lot less. Struggling for survival in the Championship, though shit, is still a far better prospect than challenging for a top 4 finish in League 1.

I see where he's coming from to be honest.

I'm not wishing for relegation.  I'm old enough to well remember when we were among the weaker clubs in the country and I'm not desperate for a return.  I also think that if we did go down, there's little to suggest we'd spring back up as quickly or impressively as last time.

However, this is our fourth successive season of scrapping around at the bottom end of the table.  It's bloody wearisome.  As Arbroath are showing, being full-time isn't necessarily the key to success.  I do feel that some sort of reset is needed right now.  It's not something I'm praying for, but things might need to get a bit worse in order to get better again.  None of us support Queens because we demand a side that wins every week.  There is something attractive about watching one that wins a bit more frequently than we've been doing for years now though.  If that requires a change of habitat, it's maybe not the worst thing.

I do get the 'be careful what you wish for' aspect of this which is why relegation isn't something I'm wishing for.  The argument isn't nuts though.  Following this guise of Queens is clearly not that appealing for many people.

On the one hand I can cut the board some slack as they have backed AJ by allowing him to assemble a bigger squad than we normally operate with - by my estimation we have maybe five additional first team players more than we have had in a squad since Ian McCall was in charge.

On the other hand the board made the frankly ridiculous decision to hand a two year contract to a manager who was only a few days short of going a full calendar year without a win.  The cracks were papered over thanks to a good run over the period of 8 or 9 games (helped by the arrival of some good loan signings) but the slump over the final third of last season should have rang warning bells to the board that AJ is not the sort of manager to be handing out 2 year contracts to.

One of my biggest frustrations this season has been that a team who started with promise has been tinkered with to the extreme to accommodate loanees.  Of the four, only Brynn has shown why he should be in the starting eleven, and he in all likelihood wouldn't have been here had it not been for Rae's injury, but the introduction Max, Liddle and Cameron has been detrimental and for some unknown reason those three are way ahead of the likes of Roy, Todd and East in the pecking order.  You can't fault Cameron for effort, but Roy was averaging a goal a game before his injury whereas Cameron isn't scoring or linking up play to any great effect whatsoever.  We also have Debayo making continual mistakes leading to goals playing every game while East, who has been just as competent in the same role, doesn't get a chance and Dunn has been punted out on loan to the Lowland league when he's looked no worse than Debayo.  We also have Chima who has a mystery injury which has led to him disappearing completely - but why sign a guy who had been out of the game for over a year on a two year deal?

I suspect that at best AJ will be given 3 more league games taking us to the season's half way mark, but if he doesn't get 6 points minimum from those games he will be gone.  It won't have gone unnoticed in the boardroom that 3 of our 4 relegation rivals have changed managers already this season, and it's surely just club finances that are keeping ours in a job.

Totally agree with lots of posts. AJ never gets the best out of players. Debayo has been shocking for 6weeks but never drops him.  He was signed as a left back but we play him in a position he is obviously not comfortable in. Nditi is our best Centre back and he is playing left back. Although his decision making in the last few weeks has been really poor. McKay has been steady enough. Gibson is a lot better on the RHS but even he look deflated last night. Our starting midfield last night had a poor night. I think our best 3 midfielders are Todd, Cochrane and McGrory. Liddle is an embarrassment he is hopeless. What has Todd done he was brought in against Killie for the worst set up all season. I honestly feel sorry for young Max as his Dad is throwing him under a bus. Paton was non existent last night but again player in wrong position. Connelly is so much better with a free role not stick out wide. All the teams we play in our division have a set formation we tinker about 4times a game. I would leave big Cameron out not convinced. Ally Roy has done nothing wrong when fit. I would love AJ to be let go but I don't see our club doing that. 2 year deal whoever sanctioned that deserves sacked themselves

Ok, what about one of those daft “either or” questions for the weekend, just to see what most people would pick.

Option 1: another relegation battle next year on our crap plastic pitch
Option 2: a fight for a promotion play-off place in league 1 and a new pitch

I think my enthusiasm for watching Queens on an ongoing weekly basis might be higher under option 2. The current situation just feels like it might be driving fans away.

14 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Played 15 

won 3 

drawn 3 

lost 9 

12 points from 45 

Its time for change Mr Chairman. The league table doesn’t lie ;( 

Don't hold your breath. The last time action was taken to change the manager who's contract was not about to expire was a long time ago.  

15 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

Ok, what about one of those daft “either or” questions for the weekend, just to see what most people would pick.

Option 1: another relegation battle next year on our crap plastic pitch
Option 2: a fight for a promotion play-off place in league 1 and a new pitch

I think my enthusiasm for watching Queens on an ongoing weekly basis might be higher under option 2. The current situation just feels like it might be driving fans away.

I think if we go down the pitch will stay, they're not so fussy further down the ladder, and money will be tighter. If we stay up it MIGHT encourage the BOD to rethink the pitch situation. The artificial pitch idea was sold to the fans on the basis it would make us money, that's apparently not the case.