The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

What comes with age is experience something we don't have. 

Willie Gibson is our best player main reason is because he has a wealth of experience.

Most  of  our players have little or no experience of the Championship . 

Well you can have Brian McLean, Gary Oliver and of course our very experienced manager in the next transfer window. No need to thank us - we'll even have a whipround to cover the taxi fare. 

2 points

Just listening to radio Scotland. Kenny miller is on he is saying looking for a job . Would you take him as a manager if Johnson does go . 

also think it is unfair in the stick max Johnson is getting he is a young lad and I think if he was a dumfries boy and not managers son the fans would back him I really think there is a good player there . 

Well you can have Brian McLean, Gary Oliver and of course our very experienced manager in the next transfer window. No need to thank us - we'll even have a whipround to cover the taxi fare. 

I wouldn't entertain his shite. If we had 5 players with hundreds of Championship experience he'd just find something else to witter on about. He fails to mention our actual best player this year has under 30 games at this level.

2 points
Just listening to radio Scotland. Kenny miller is on he is saying looking for a job . Would you take him as a manager if Johnson does go . 
also think it is unfair in the stick max Johnson is getting he is a young lad and I think if he was a dumfries boy and not managers son the fans would back him I really think there is a good player there . 

I don't think he's really received actual stick about from online (and if you're a footballer and looking at these kind of sites, you're off your head). I can't say I've heard much in the way of real criticism at the game.

I certainly wouldn't rule the boy out of having a decent career at this stage. The reality is he isn't good enough just now. I think if it was a local boy then AJ would have dropped him long before now. We've already sent out a local boy in Dunn who barely put a foot wrong when he played.

I don't think he's really received actual stick about from online (and if you're a footballer and looking at these kind of sites, you're off your head). I can't say I've heard much in the way of real criticism at the game.

I certainly wouldn't rule the boy out of having a decent career at this stage. The reality is he isn't good enough just now. I think if it was a local boy then AJ would have dropped him long before now. We've already sent out a local boy in Dunn who barely put a foot wrong when he played.

Dunn isn’t local.

Johnston plays a big part in last 2 yesterday. Not convinced. I’ve listened to Miller on a few things this week and found him impressive on them all

11 minutes ago, lowland star said:

2 points

Max Johnston may well turn out to be a superstar in the future but it won’t be whilst playing for us - his dad is throwing him under the bus by continually picking him to the detriment of the team.

2 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

Max Johnston may well turn out to be a superstar in the future but it won’t be whilst playing for us - his dad is throwing him under the bus by continually picking him to the detriment of the team.

Pretty much this.

I don't see the youngster getting much direct stick.  The fact is that very few 17 year olds hold down a first team place at this level.  To do so, they need to do extremely well.  It would be hard to argue that young Max has been excellent.

I think he's been put in a horrible position.  I'd imagine there's been some grumbling among players about the upheaval required to accommodate him in the side.  It must also be very difficult when that young, to be brought into a side doing this badly, managed by your dad.  I honestly feel really bad for the kid.  

I think it also really exposes AJ to a particular strand of criticism that is totally unnecessary.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Pretty much this.

I don't see the youngster getting much direct stick.  The fact is that very few 17 year olds hold down a first team place at this level.  To do so, they need to do extremely well.  It would be hard to argue that young Max has been excellent.

I think he's been put in a horrible position.  I'd imagine there's been some grumbling among players about the upheaval required to accommodate him in the side.  It must also be very difficult when that young, to be brought into a side doing this badly, managed by your dad.  I honestly feel really bad for the kid.  

I think it also really exposes AJ to a particular strand of criticism that is totally unnecessary.

I don't think it helps that Gibson, who is far better in the "Max" role, has been moved out of position to accommodate Max.

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

That's Dunfermline got rid of Grant, so they'll be past us pretty soon.

That's genuinely bad news for us.

There's no way that Dunfermline will remain this bad for much longer.

That just leaves Morton as similarly hopeless.

I've been at all the home league matches (eight hour round trip drive, I must be a masochist) and the last couple I've actually thought, "what a lovely bunch of fans we are!" - no unpleasantness directed at the players from anywhere around me, only the odd stifled expletive. Wrt to young Johnston, the comments I've heard have just been comments like those above (he's been put in a horrible position, his dad is throwing him under the bus etc), but only in conversations, not anything shouted at him on the pitch. I think we're a pretty decent bunch of fans.

9 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

I don't think it helps that Gibson, who is far better in the "Max" role, has been moved out of position to accommodate Max.

That's what makes the decision to field him so indefensible.

It's hard to resist the conclusion that it's simply a question of nepotism.

I honestly don't really know what a justification for the decision would look like.  

It's unfair on Gibson and his colleagues.  It's unfair on the fans.  And it's absolutely criminally unfair on the teenager himself.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm saying Max is an awful player and it's his fault we're struggling, because neither is the case.  It's just that it's a selection that is unusual, unnecessary, questionable in terms of the disruption it's caused and has been accompanied by rotten results. 

AJ has made himself very open to a charge of putting things ahead of the welfare of the team.  Unless it's very markedly proving successful, it's a senseless route to persevere on.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

That's genuinely bad news for us.
There's no way that Dunfermline will remain this bad for much longer.
That just leaves Morton as similarly hopeless.

If nothing changes I'll be shocked if we aren't bottom of the league by Christmas. Dunfermline have been rotten and we've managed to get a massive 3 point gap between us and them. They'll overtake us in no time.
I've been at all the home league matches (eight hour round trip drive, I must be a masochist) and the last couple I've actually thought, "what a lovely bunch of fans we are!" - no unpleasantness directed at the players from anywhere around me, only the odd stifled expletive. Wrt to young Johnston, the comments I've heard have just been comments like those above (he's been put in a horrible position, his dad is throwing him under the bus etc), but only in conversations, not anything shouted at him on the pitch. I think we're a pretty decent bunch of fans.

I think our management/BoD are really lucky in that respect. I can't recall our fans calling for their heads at games or being particularly volatile. It's normally just booing that QoS fans dish out.

Our fanbase tends to do it's talking by walking as crowd numbers show.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think our management/BoD are really lucky in that respect. I can't recall our fans calling for their heads at games or being particularly volatile. It's normally just booing that QoS fans dish out.

Yes, I've heard previous managers moaning about getting stick before, but it's only ever been pretty mild in my experience.

You're right in identifying dwindling crowds as the fan response.  That might be less uncomfortable for managers and directors, but it's probably more damaging to the club.

40 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If nothing changes I'll be shocked if we aren't bottom of the league by Christmas. Dunfermline have been rotten and we've managed to get a massive 3 point gap between us and them. They'll overtake us in no time.

I’ll certainly be voting with my feet as recent results/performances/tactics etc do nothing to entice me to part with a hard earned £18.

Dwindling crowd numbers will only get worse now that the cold, wet,  winter weather is upon us.

I just can’t see the BOD releasing AJ from his duties just yet and given our recent Scottish Cup form, I’m not overly confident that we will progress to the next round up at Cove. Defeat there might just spur the directors into action.

12 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

I’ll certainly be voting with my feet as recent results/performances/tactics etc do nothing to entice me to part with a hard earned £18.

Do they do season ticket refunds? Once again, asking for a friend 🤥

1 hour ago, Riviera711 said:

I've been at all the home league matches (eight hour round trip drive, I must be a masochist) and the last couple I've actually thought, "what a lovely bunch of fans we are!" - no unpleasantness directed at the players from anywhere around me, only the odd stifled expletive. Wrt to young Johnston, the comments I've heard have just been comments like those above (he's been put in a horrible position, his dad is throwing him under the bus etc), but only in conversations, not anything shouted at him on the pitch. I think we're a pretty decent bunch of fans.at the games no one has been given stick by the fans but I do feel for the boy by the online stuff

Regarding the dwinlding crowds, I'd just like to mention the lack of youth interest in Queens.

I'm sure in older times ,when Televised Football Matches weren't at every young kids fingertips, a lot of kids would come to watch queens. I'm currently at a school of 800 pupils and you'd be lucky if there were 4 queens fans in the school.  I've been to every game this season home and away and let me tell you, these performances are doing nothing but deterring the youth from Palmerston. The BoD need to act now. Whether that be telling AJ to get his finger oot his arse or else he is getting the boot, or simply sacking him. But change is needed now. 

10 hours ago, Doonhamerrr said:

Regarding the dwinlding crowds, I'd just like to mention the lack of youth interest in Queens.

I'm sure in older times ,when Televised Football Matches weren't at every young kids fingertips, a lot of kids would come to watch queens. I'm currently at a school of 800 pupils and you'd be lucky if there were 4 queens fans in the school.  I've been to every game this season home and away and let me tell you, these performances are doing nothing but deterring the youth from Palmerston. The BoD need to act now. Whether that be telling AJ to get his finger oot his arse or else he is getting the boot, or simply sacking him. But change is needed now. 

Plenty kids at Palmerston this season after the introduction of the free Junior Blues season ticket offer but  keeping them interested is the hard bit what with our current form. 

You’re correct though , the BOD needs to grow a set and act now. 

And please don’t believe we can’t afford to sack AJ as our Chairman is absolutely loaded.