The Queen of the South thread

It's all about opinions innit?

I thought Cochrane was our best player today, albeit that's not saying much as far too many weren't at the races.

One thing that's crystal clear is that Ruben and Cameron can't play together as a strike pairing.  More often than not they got in each other's way or made the same run.  Neither of them look likely to bag many goals either. 

Hopefully the penny will drop with AJ before Tuesday and he realises that it's time to drop his son.  I felt part of the reason Wullie was so poor today was that he was drawn to the right to cover for Johnston's mistakes and poor positional sense.

About the only positive from today was Ally Roy's performance.  He looked sharp and full of running, unlike many of the team who stood waiting on passes coming to them.  Cameron should have been hooked at least 15 minutes earlier.  Liddle did improve the midfield when he came on  but why is Todd on the bench if he isn't even going to get any gametime?

The team must change v Hamilton, 3 blaring obvious changes starting with Max J moving onto the bench and Wullie Gibson moving to RWB, allowing another midfielder to start and then drop Ruben for Ally Roy. AJ will prob start him v Killie on Sat when Cameron won't be able to play against his parent club. Give Paton and Todd more gand time too... 

14 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

The team must change v Hamilton, 3 blaring obvious changes starting with Max J moving onto the bench and Wullie Gibson moving to RWB, allowing another midfielder to start and then drop Ruben for Ally Roy. AJ will prob start him v Killie on Sat when Cameron won't be able to play against his parent club. Give Paton and Todd more gand time too... 

We need to get goals from somewhere very disappointed so far with Cameron hopefully he will get better with game time.

Reben will run all day but his job is to score goals something he can't do .

Roy and Paton should have been on with at least 20 mins to go both have pace we did everything far to slow today. 

Now on to Max Johnston he is not ready for Championship football only plays because his Dad is the manager we are even playing players out of position so he can play.

Todd Roy and  Paton should all start against Hamilton get Gibson back to his best position right wing back .

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Well said but do we honestly believe he will change anything as we did not lose. To worried about the opposition rather than playing to our strengths.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Johnston was indeed poor... Too often he's too far back when we attack and therefore it results in the right side being shut off as an option. Get Gibson out there on Tuesday.

Totally agree. Happened a good few times today when Gibson or someone else looked to the right for the obvious pass but Johnston was 10-20 yards too far back and the move fizzled out.

I also didn't like Nditi playing at the base of a midfield diamond. AJ spent most of the game shouting at him telling him where he was supposed to be. He's your best defender Allan, get him in defence and put one of the three capable midfielders that were on the bench in midfield instead.

12 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

Totally agree. Happened a good few times today when Gibson or someone else looked to the right for the obvious pass but Johnston was 10-20 yards too far back and the move fizzled out.

I also didn't like Nditi playing at the base of a midfield diamond. AJ spent most of the game shouting at him telling him where he was supposed to be. He's your best defender Allan, get him in defence and put one of the three capable midfielders that were on the bench in midfield instead.

We are all saying the same thing. Nditi not a natural midfielder but really hard worker and puts himself about. I though Wullie did not look to happy being asked to go to LWB

45 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

We are all saying the same thing. Nditi not a natural midfielder but really hard worker and puts himself about. I though Wullie did not look to happy being asked to go to LWB

Nae wonder he didn't look happy... 

10 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Cove Rangers away in the Scottish cup. Exciting and difficult tie. 

At least we don't play another Championship team.

Very difficult tie especially away from home long journey up to Aberdeen as well.

Cove have a excellent experienced squad a few ex SPL players .

Edited by Greenacres

Absolutely pish draw IMO. Unless we improve by then then I'd fancy Cove to turn us over, miles away so we wont take a big crowd and our income from the game will be miniscule.

Quite gutted tbh as it's the only cup I actually care about :(

Bit different from the usual run of the mill draws we usually get.  Both interesting and difficult.  With the squad we have assembled we should be good enough to progress, Cove I imagine though will fancy their chances at home.

Looking forward to this one.  A ground I have never been to.

1 hour ago, Katboy said:

Bit different from the usual run of the mill draws we usually get.  Both interesting and difficult.  With the squad we have assembled we should be good enough to progress, Cove I imagine though will fancy their chances at home.

Must admit I was hoping for any home tie from the draw although QoS will be a tricky opponent but one we'll relish given its a team from the league above. We beat ICT at Balmoral 3-1 in the PS cup but given that competition was effectively both teams pre-season due to COVID problems not much to read into.

This season we've been underwhelming so far. Our midfield dynamic is wrong; too deep. We have Fyvie and Vigurs who are sitters in CM and we've struggled to keep our wingers Masson and Yule fit.

Hartley's summer recruitment was a 3/10 imo. Logan the only good addition. Only 1 loanee, Finn Robertson, who wasn't positionally the type of player we needed.

Mitch and Rory are a big threat at the top end. Especially the former.

Doonhamers I think have recruited quite well. Always liked Paton and Innes Cameron is a scoop of a loan. Lee Connelly and Junior give good attacking threat. Surprised to see you only score 10 in 10 league games.

Should be an interesting and competitive tie.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

What a treat! A ground I haven’t been to before.

If we avoid relegation we'll have a couple of opportunities next season.

Must admit I was hoping for any home tie from the draw although QoS will be a tricky opponent but one we'll relish given its a team from the league above. We beat ICT at Balmoral 3-1 in the PS cup but given that competition was effectively both teams pre-season due to COVID problems probably not much to read into.
This season we've been underwhelming so far. Our midfield dynamic is wrong; too deep. We have Fyvie and Vigurs who are sitters in CM and we've struggled to keep our wingers Masson and Yule fit.
Hartley's summer recruitment was a 3/10 imo. Logan the only good addition. Only 1 loanee, Finn Robertson, who wasn't positionally the type of player we needed.
Mitch and Rory are a big threat at the top end. Especially the former.
Doonhammers I think have recruited quite well. Always liked Paton and Innes Cameron is a scoop of a loan. Lee Connelly and Junior give good attacking threat. Surprised to see you only score 10 in 10 league games.
Should be an interesting and competitive tie.

Get that "Doonhammers" edited pronto or you'll receive some backlash.

It's early days but Cameron doesn't look like he'll be banging goals in for us. I wouldn't fancy Junior in a one on one either. Our best hope of a goal recently has been praying for Connolly to come up with some magic.

Our goalscorers tally below. Would it surprise you to learn Roy and Paton (or the source of 54% of our goals so far) were both available for selection on Saturday and yet featured for a combined total of 13 minutes or so. I don't think we have terrible players but AJ certainly hasn't stumbled across a system to get the best out of them yet.

Roy - 8
Connolly - 6
Paton - 5
Junior - 2
Gibson - 2
OG - 1