The Queen of the South thread

13 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

More good news with Rae playing for the reserves last night.  Hopefully he's not far away from a first team return. 

Brynn has shown that he is decent shot stopper but his kicking is woeful and he doesn't seem to like the physical side of the game.

Quite agree re Brynn's distribution, and he's sometimes slow to get play going. 

It's good that Rae is hopefully near a return but I just hope he shows nerve and determination to get involved in challenging for the ball after the injury he's had. 

I also like that Rae is very vocal. Big fan of that.

More good news with Rae playing for the reserves last night.  Hopefully he's not far away from a first team return. 
Brynn has shown that he is decent shot stopper but his kicking is woeful and he doesn't seem to like the physical side of the game.

Nice post and article A-Mac. 👍

Queens/Dumfries will have quite a large diaspora with large numbers of young folk leaving the area each year to study and find work in the more populous parts of the nation, and many settle down there and never return. However, they don't forget their roots and the connection to Dumfries, and many of them (like myself) retain their love of QOS.

When you're such an ex-pat fan and struggle to get to many games in the season then the birth of the PPV service from the clubs has been a real bonus. It'll be a real shame if it can't continue after this season.

The quality of that game was horrendous. Why not move Nditi back to defence and leave Gibson in midfield. Cochrane disappeared after Gibson moved to defence. Bringing Paton on with 4 minutes to go WTF. This 2 big guys up front and then change to a flat 4 is a joke. No wingbacks to put the ball in the box. Young Johnston anonymous again and cooper did not look fit

I think if Cochrane is getting criticism after today's performance then he'll never be liked by some of our support. I thought he was comfortably our best player today; always asking for the ball and got stuck in as much as anyone else He misplaced two passes that I counted. Very impressive when you compare it to Gibson's distribution where I lost count of how many passes went astray/to the opposition.

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think if Cochrane is getting criticism after today's performance then he'll never be liked by some of our support. I thought he was comfortably our best player today; always asking for the ball and got stuck in as much as anyone else He misplaced two passes that I counted. Very impressive when you compare it to Gibson's distribution where I lost count of how many passes went astray/to the opposition.

Cochrane certainly wasn’t our worst, that’s about as glowing a reference as I can give him. He came here with a big reputation and so far he has done the square route of hee haw. Agree about Gibson today, he had a nightmare out there and somehow was worse at left wing back than in central midfield. That’s impressive in its own right as I didn’t think that would have been possible. He dallied on the ball when he didn’t have time and rushed things when he had plenty of time which is most unlike him. Its about as bad a game as I can remember, two awful teams on the day. 

Edited by Broony88

Cochrane certainly wasn’t our worst, that’s about as glowing a reference as I can give him. He came here with a big reputation and so far he has done the square route of hee haw. Agree about Gibson today, he had a nightmare out there and somehow was worse at left wing back than in central midfield. That’s impressive in its own right as I didn’t think that would have been possible. He dallied on the ball when he didn’t have time and rushed things when he had plenty of time which is most unlike him. Its about as bad a game as I can remember, two awful teams on the day. 

He's 20. His reputation doesn't mean anything IMO as a player with a big reputation that delivered wouldn't be anywhere near us. I think your point is the reason he seems to come in for some harsh criticism though. For a 20 year old that was a very good performance from him today but because he played really well for Hearts as a teenager he still somehow receives criticism.

We could not pass 5 yards today. So many players not doing enough. Gibson I totally agree with people comments. But other players need to take responsibility when he plays poorly. Can't believe that AJ watches his boy playing and says he deserves a starting spot. Debayo and McKay only play long balls. Even in the last 5 minutes when we had Roy bad Paton they were still pumping it long. The 2 big guys don't work. Big Cameron still has to convince me. Junior is at best a good runner but he has to learn to stay on his feet. 

32 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I must have been at a parallel universe game today as, in the game I watched, a lot of moves broke down because of Cochrane's poor control or passing. . As for the bosses boy, unless there are conditions in his loan deal that he must start, then it's pure favouritism that he's getting so much game time. 

I must have been at a parallel universe game today as, in the game I watched, a lot of moves broke down because of Cochrane's poor control or passing. . As for the bosses boy, unless there are conditions in his loan deal that he must start, then it's pure favouritism that he's getting so much game time. 

Aye I would say so. I spent a lot of time watching him today to see if the criticism is deserved and I thought he played really well. As I say, he misplaced two passes that I noted but every other one went to someone. It may not have resulted in a chance but at least he never lost possession. There were even passes fired at him today at his head that he did really well to somehow control. I reckon if a local 20 year old had played like he did today he'd only be receiving praise.

Johnston was indeed poor. I defended the boy a few weeks back but he's bringing very little to the side. Too often he's too far back when we attack and therefore it results in the right side being shut off as an option. Get Gibson out there on Tuesday.

No idea what Todd has done to avoid game time.

25 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He's 20. His reputation doesn't mean anything IMO as a player with a big reputation that delivered wouldn't be anywhere near us. I think your point is the reason he seems to come in for some harsh criticism though. For a 20 year old that was a very good performance from him today but because he played really well for Hearts as a teenager he still somehow receives criticism.

I think the criticism of his game is fairly warranted tbh, he has had 10 odd matches to get himself fully fit and I still think he looks off the pace at times. I’m not naive enough to understand if he was showing any of his early promise he wouldn’t be anywhere near Queens, unless his performances improve he will be moving further down the ladder. 

I think the criticism of his game is fairly warranted tbh, he has had 10 odd matches to get himself fully fit and I still think he looks off the pace at times. I’m not naive enough to understand if he was showing any of his early promise he wouldn’t be anywhere near Queens, unless his performances improve he will be moving further down the ladder. 
We'll agree to disagree. I don't think he's been close to one of our worst performers recently though. And for a 20 year old has done more than fine.

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
14 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

We'll agree to disagree. I don't think he's been close to one of our worst performers recently though. And for a 20 year old has done more than fine.

You keep bringing his age into it. Some 20year olds are more experienced and mature than others having played at a higher level with better coaching against better opposition, etc. Of course Cochrane wouldn't be here if he was still capable of playing at at higher level but at this level he should be easily  showing a bit more than he is especially against teams near the bottom of the Championship. 

1 minute ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

You keep bringing his age into it. Some 20year olds are more experienced and mature than others having played at a higher level with better coaching against better opposition, etc. Of course Cochrane wouldn't be here if he was still capable of playing at at higher level but at this level he should be easily  showing a bit more than he is especially against teams near the bottom of the Championship. 

Do we forget he had loan spells at Dunfermline and Montrose when he did not play much. That is why he is playing for us.

He showed plenty today, that's my point. If folk are still moaning about him in arguably his best performance for us then I don't think they will ever like him/not sure exactly what they expect from the boy. His pass success rate would have been easily in the 90% today.