The Queen of the South thread

52 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We can but dream of a team of Lee Connelly's. 😀 He has been absolutely superb for us so far. It defies belief he wasn't getting a game for Alloa last season. Not sure what that says about Peter Grant.

Yeah I've noticed he has been doing well! Fair play to him. I'm not sure I'd be too hard on Grant in this instance though. Perhaps he should have given Connelly more opportunities, but when he did play he didn't really do enough to justify getting an extended run. And Grant did show an ability at Alloa to get more out of some players than other managers had previously too, but clearly didn't work with Connelly. 

Yeah I've noticed he has been doing well! Fair play to him. I'm not sure I'd be too hard on Grant in this instance though. Perhaps he should have given Connelly more opportunities, but when he did play he didn't really do enough to justify getting an extended run. And Grant did show an ability at Alloa to get more out of some players than other managers had previously too, but clearly didn't work with Connelly. 

Grant has managed to get a team full of genuine quality players and Dan Pybus rooted to the bottom of this division. Connolly has been outstanding for us.

I think it's probably got more to do with Peter Grant being a complete buffoon of a football manager than anything Lee Connolly did or didn't do at Alloa.

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Grant has managed to get a team full of genuine quality players and Dan Pybus rooted to the bottom of this division. Connolly has been outstanding for us.

I think it's probably got more to do with Peter Grant being a complete buffoon of a football manager than anything Lee Connolly did or didn't do at Alloa.

All a bit simplistic. Grant is clearly having a nightmare at Dunfermline and his past record as a manager isn't great either. He was also fortunate at Alloa in that he inherited a terrific dressing room of excellent pros who could probably to some  extent manage themselves. He certainly did make mistakes at Alloa but he also had some good signings and some players clearly came on under his tutelage. When Covid stopped his first season at Alloa it looked like his team were actually really coming into their own. He also clearly saw enough in Lee Connelly to sign him twice. When Connelly got chances at Alloa though, he didn't generally do enough to demand he stay in the team. I doubt that's all down to Peter Grant and there there were a few factors behind him not reaching the heights at Alloa, and similarly a few factors involved in him now succeeding at QoS. Indeed, I see Connelly himself has said he struggled with part-time football and that he was "lazy" last season. If you are looking for evidence that Peter Grant isn't a good manager then there is much more compelling stuff than his handling of Lee Connelly. 

Edited by Waspie

On 13/10/2021 at 17:13, the_palmy_pie said:

we did though receive a rather handsome payment when he was transferred from Livi to QPR :) 

I heard from a very reliable source close to the club that in the early days Queens received payments from the SFA after Lyndon played a certain amount of games for Scotland.

Edited by Mustafa_sheet

After throwing it away this afternoon, I'm starting to get a bit of a sinking feeling.

The most frustrating thing is that I think we have some good individual players and possibly the strongest squad for a wee while. If that's right then I suppose it comes down to the manager....

9 minutes ago, Riviera711 said:

After throwing it away this afternoon, I'm starting to get a bit of a sinking feeling.

The most frustrating thing is that I think we have some good individual players and possibly the strongest squad for a wee while. If that's right then I suppose it comes down to the manager....

Only good thing about this weekend is that Accies and Morton both lost. Looks like the season will be about avoiding relegation, for the fourth year in a row.

Only good thing about this weekend is that Accies and Morton both lost. Looks like the season will be about avoiding relegation, for the fourth year in a row.

Both those sides will have at least one win in their next two games though...

Yep that’s what I’ve expected from the start of the season. Nothing as yet to suggest it’ll be anything different. 9 points from 9 games is poor and a real chance today to put a decent gap between us at those near the bottom thrown away.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Both those sides will have at least one win in their next two games though...

That is like a negative post from Northfield .

Got to look at the positives we only lost 6 games in the 1st quarter.

Our young players will learn from crazy mistakes.

My take on today's game. We had a couple of great chances in the first half. Junior's miss from 4 yards was unforgivable.

We controlled the game in the first half. Had the best chances but again could not take them.

Second half we eventually get a goal. Connelly was injured spoke to physio after goal and asked to come off. This is where it all went wrong. 

After we scored Aye brought Bradley on and AJ changed the shape of the team dropping Gibson in front of the back 3 and Cochrane was missing totally from the second half. He looks unfit in my opinion. Should have brought Liddle on for him. When we dropped Wullie we just invited the pressure Ayr put us under. That does not legislate for Debayo ridiculous challenge so far away from goal. A rush of blood to the head.  After that we should have pushed onto Ayr but AJ insisted on leaving Wullie deeper. I have major issues with the way the AJ lines us up. As I said a few weeks ago young Johnston is out of his depth. He has a good cross but that is it. He never takes a player on and is lazy working back. Gibson is a far better option in that position both in attack and defence. AJ had options on the bench and only choose to use 2 off them. Criminal. We had Paton, Todd on the bench. Instead he moved Cochrane forward but he only had shot on target. 

I do not understand why we are always pumping the ball forward even when Roy came on. Our players are more suited by ball on the deck. Really annoyed tonight I think we really have a struggle on our hands this year with Johnston in charge.

I agree with the comments wrt struggling to understand the thinking behind the alterations in team shape and the personnel used within the systems used.

The lumping it up the pitch has been happening for a while now. I think you are always going to get that when playing an obvious target man up front. I agree that we have good enough ball players that we shouldn't need to be doing this (so much), but the team has to be set up with the right combination of players to play in that way. At this point in time that is not happening, unfortunately.

Also, I never feel comfortable about a manager signing his own son/nephew for the team. As a dad, I wouldn't put that pressure on my son; if he's good enough, another team will give him a chance. I just don't think either party comes out of that set-up in a positive way unless, of course, the player is so obviously worth his place in the team.

I'm now waiting for our once-a-season sequence of good results (usually lasts for about 8-12 games) that does just enough to keep our heads above water. Maybe it'll start this weekend coming 🤞

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Your very reliable source wasn't very reliable then.

Do Queens not receive payments  from Livi as part of the deal they have with Q.P.R going by appearances Dykes has for Q.P.R. and Scotland .

If ever Q.P.R get into the Premier league does that not get us a bonus as well 

22 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Do Queens not receive payments  from Livi as part of the deal they have with Q.P.R going by appearances Dykes has for Q.P.R. and Scotland .

The terms of a transfer agreement between Livingston and QPR and by extension with Queen of the South are confidential. I'm neither confirming nor denying any of that.

10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The terms of a transfer agreement between Livingston and QPR and by extension with Queen of the South are confidential. I'm neither confirming nor denying any of that.

image.jpeg.4a6e35899bec25192c974b2327f224f5.jpeg

19 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Livi's agreement with QPR is that we get around 5k for every international appearance. I'd imagine you get 10-15% of that given the sell on clause, so about 500/750 per Scotland appearance. Think it was noted that we had made almost 100k for that clause. 

Think we get a 500k bonus is QPR go up, 250k more if they manage to stay up too. He went for around 1.7m, so QotS would've gotten 255k and then another 15k from International appearances so about 270k so far? 

If he goes for 25m (standard enough fee down south) then Livi end up with 3.75m, by extension QotS would likely net about 562k I think. Would bring total fees into a tasty realm for both clubs, Livi sat about 4.7m and QotS at 832k before any promotion bonuses/future Scotland caps etc. 

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Yep, great news. He's been about the only thing worth going to see in some games. 

More good news with Rae playing for the reserves last night.  Hopefully he's not far away from a first team return. 

Brynn has shown that he is decent shot stopper but his kicking is woeful and he doesn't seem to like the physical side of the game.