The Queen of the South thread

44 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I didn't say you did, but you said because the Council had removed two street lights it affected the lighting in that area, which suggests the club were relying on those lights supplying  adequate illumination. I thought the "helpfully" in your post was a sarcastic comment directed at the Council for taking away the lights. Sorry if that's not the case. 

It's a fact that those lights were providing illumination for the area. This meant we didn't need to worry about it. If they are no longer there we'll need to do something further about it. Which is frustrating (hence the 'helpfully') but it's still our problem and I never implied it wasn't. It's just a problem that didn't exist the last time we had a game kick off in the dark and as far as I am aware we were not aware of prior to Friday.

It's possibly also the case that the much brighter floodlights are exacerbating the problem by making the areas not covered by them look darker than they did before. Not sure, wasn't round that side myself so haven't seen it.

Delighted to see Lyndon Dykes and his amazing progress since leaving Queens & Livingston. He’s now played 20 times for Scotland and is a vital part of the team. 

Do Queens still get some kind of development fee from the SFA every time Grant Hanley appears for Scotland ? 

Is a fee for a player playing internationally a thing? Never heard of such a thing.

Delighted to see Lyndon Dykes and his amazing progress since leaving Queens & Livingston. He’s now played 20 times for Scotland and is a vital part of the team. 

Do Queens still get some kind of development fee from the SFA every time Grant Hanley appears for Scotland ? 

2 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

^^^^ This. 👍

Great to see indeed. What I like about the big fella most is his positivity. He's got the balls to take on high pressure situations like penalties and even when he misses them like the other night, he doesn't let that get him down. Instead he keeps on giving 100% right to the final minute. No wonder Steve Clarke rates him highly, an ideal team player.

I suspect his Aussie background helps. How often do you hear an Aussie sports person being negative? They're instilled with a "can do" mentality from the very start.

3 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Every season, not every time. He plays once in the season or he plays 15 times, same payment.

2 hours ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Is a fee for a player playing internationally a thing? Never heard of such a thing.

I'm not actually sure if the players are "paid" to play for Scotland. I know the England players are entitled to a fee and choose to donate it to charity through a foundation they set up. There's a lot less info in the public domain about Scotland players and what they do with it assuming they are entitled to payment.

The clubs players are currently registered to do not get fees for international release periods normally though the players are covered for insurance by the national FA whilst away. Clubs DO however get payment for periods of release for international tournaments. I recall Inverness being paid by UEFA for Owain Fon-Williams period with Wales at Euro 16. Their surprise run to the semi finals meant ICT got a fortnight's extra money for their keeper sitting in the stand with no chance of playing!

Scottish clubs who had a player registered in their Club Academy youth development programme though are recognised for providing players to Scotland. Points are awarded for each season a player plays for each age level side right up to the full team and depending on whether they play competitively or in a friendly (more points for a competitive game). These are totaled at the end of each season and a bonus paid per club based on points total at a few hundred pounds per point normally. In that respect, yes, we get paid every season Grant Hanley plays for Scotland. But not every individual game and it's certainly not thousands.

It is slightly ironic that we receive payment for Grant Hanley who left us when he was 14 or 15 but not for Lyndon Dykes who we had a far bigger role in actually developing because Lyndon was never registered in our Academy, joining us directly as a professional when he was already 18 years old.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Every season, not every time. He plays once in the season or he plays 15 times, same payment.

I'm not actually sure if the players are "paid" to play for Scotland. I know the England players are entitled to a fee and choose to donate it to charity through a foundation they set up. There's a lot less info in the public domain about Scotland players and what they do with it assuming they are entitled to payment.

The clubs players are currently registered to do not get fees for international release periods normally though the players are covered for insurance by the national FA whilst away. Clubs DO however get payment for periods of release for international tournaments. I recall Inverness being paid by UEFA for Owain Fon-Williams period with Wales at Euro 16. Their surprise run to the semi finals meant ICT got a fortnight's extra money for their keeper sitting in the stand with no chance of playing!

Scottish clubs who had a player registered in their Club Academy youth development programme though are recognised for providing players to Scotland. Points are awarded for each season a player plays for each age level side right up to the full team and depending on whether they play competitively or in a friendly (more points for a competitive game). These are totaled at the end of each season and a bonus paid per club based on points total at a few hundred pounds per point normally. In that respect, yes, we get paid every season Grant Hanley plays for Scotland. But not every individual game and it's certainly not thousands.

It is slightly ironic that we receive payment for Grant Hanley who left us when he was 14 or 15 but not for Lyndon Dykes who we had a far bigger role in actually developing because Lyndon was never registered in our Academy, joining us directly as a professional when he was already 18 years old.

we did though receive a rather handsome payment when he was transferred from Livi to QPR :) 

23 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

How do we think AJ will line up this week after giving some players game time in cup game and getting good result. All players now back from injury so fully fit squad to choose from at last. 

Not all fit if Josh Rae isn't in your squad. If indeed all the others are fit I'd have Roy in for Fitzpatrick,  Todd in midfield for Gibson, and Gibson to rwb instead of bosses boy. 

50 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Not all fit if Josh Rae isn't in your squad. If indeed all the others are fit I'd have Roy in for Fitzpatrick,  Todd in midfield for Gibson, and Gibson to rwb instead of bosses boy. 

I totally agree with you re Gibson instead of Johnston. Also Roy for Fitzpatrick. But my team is what I thought AJ will line up with.

I can't do a link to the full SPFL statement but it appears Championship Clubs have agreed that "Red Zones" will remain until New Year at least. So no access to the Main Stand or turnstiles & exit on the Arena side of the ground for a while yet I take it. 

While I'm on, is the cafe in the Arena open at all through the week or matchdays or is it closed for good? Seems every time I walk past it the chairs are stacked up. 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I can't do a link to the full SPFL statement but it appears Championship Clubs have agreed that "Red Zones" will remain until New Year at least. So no access to the Main Stand or turnstiles & exit on the Arena side of the ground for a while yet I take it. 

While I'm on, is the cafe in the Arena open at all through the week or matchdays or is it closed for good? Seems every time I walk past it the chairs are stacked up. 

Access to the Main Stand will be sorted shortly, hopefully by next home game. The issue with it has been locating the subs. The Arena side Exit will remain closed for the foreseeable future though.

The Cafe tenants gave notice during lockdown. It's currently closed though it's hoped to get it re-let and re-opened as soon as possible.

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Access to the Main Stand will be sorted shortly, hopefully by next home game. The issue with it has been locating the subs. The Arena side Exit will remain closed for the foreseeable future though.

The Cafe tenants gave notice during lockdown. It's currently closed though it's hoped to get it re-let and re-opened as soon as possible.

Thanks for that.  I understand new dugouts are imminent, will they be adequate to satisfy zones for substitutes so they're moved out of the Stand. I also notice that sometimes away subs sit on plastic chairs spaced along beside the technical area at the front of the stand, I'm not sure how sheltered they are but it's another option to cut down the Red Zone in the main stand. 

12 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Thanks for that.  I understand new dugouts are imminent, will they be adequate to satisfy zones for substitutes so they're moved out of the Stand. I also notice that sometimes away subs sit on plastic chairs spaced along beside the technical area at the front of the stand, I'm not sure how sheltered they are but it's another option to cut down the Red Zone in the main stand. 

It's always been an option which the opposing side sometimes choose to do on dry days but there is no shelter and they have to still have the option to be sheltered in case it rains so it doesn't really change anything. We can't make them sit in the wet.

The new covered subs dug outs will sort the problem (though will permanently impact on the available space for supporters in the Enclosure). There may be other measures we can try in the interim though if new dugouts not here before next game, it's being looked at.

On 24/06/2021 at 18:48, Waspie said:

Suspect Connelly's goal against you at Palmerston was key to your interest as it was by far his most noteworthy contribution over two loan spells at Alloa. Generally struggled for games and that despite the fact that we were absolutely crying out for creativity and pace in the wide areas last season. Not that he was rubbish, he just didn't tend to contribute enough when he played to merit staying in the team. I thought he'd be better off going lower down the leagues and getting lots of football but perhaps he'll manage that at QoS. Wish him all the best. 

We can but dream of a team of Lee Connelly's. 😀 He has been absolutely superb for us so far. It defies belief he wasn't getting a game for Alloa last season. Not sure what that says about Peter Grant.