The Queen of the South thread

On the subject of Dykes.  At the risk of repeating what I've said on here a good while ago, I was up at Tannadice at the start of the 2016/17 season for the first game and hadn't seen Dykes play before.  In that first half he gave the United defence (just down from the Premiership) a torrid time with his pace, energy, direct running and battling for every ball and I clearly remember turning to my son and saying "watch this guy, he's different".  As his time with us progressed I also liked his work ethic and commitment when he played, chasing down lost causes, even if he was perhaps played at times not in his preferred position.

Is Dykes another Karim Benzema?  No he's not, and I'm not suggesting he's at that level.  He seems to be doing OK in the English Championship though.  Would he get regular game time if he played in the EPL - I'm not sure, time will tell.  But he's clearly as good as anything we have at a Scottish level to keep him in the frame for international selection.  Good luck to the lad, always pleased to see our ex players do well.

Is Dykes as good as Dobbie?  In some ways no he isn't, but they're different types of players.  Dobbie's ball control and finishing have been unparalleled in my years watching Queens.  Chasing down lost causes, winning headers and harrying defenders was never Dobbie's game.  In his prime, the way Dobbie could control the ball with one touch and dispatch it beyond the keeper with his second was wonderful to watch - I used to think half the reason he scored so many was because he hit the ball early before keepers could set themselves for the shot, whereas other less confident strikers would take that extra touch before shooting.  I've never imagined Dykes to be hitting the net at the rate Dobbie did.

A few years back I did some work down at Aberthaw power station in South Wales and our construction manager was a Swansea City season ticket holder.  He told me that the Swansea fans just adored Dobbie in their Championship days, but the problem was that when they were promoted to the EPL he was just a yard short of pace for the defenders he was up against.  I think that's probably fair comment and probably why he never quite rose to the very top level.  But the skill that man had was just ridiculous and an absolute joy to watch.

11 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

On the subject of Dykes.  At the risk of repeating what I've said on here a good while ago, I was up at Tannadice at the start of the 2016/17 season for the first game and hadn't seen Dykes play before.  In that first half he gave the United defence (just down from the Premiership) a torrid time with his pace, energy, direct running and battling for every ball and I clearly remember turning to my son and saying "watch this guy, he's different".  As his time with us progressed I also liked his work ethic and commitment when he played, chasing down lost causes, even if he was perhaps played at times not in his preferred position.

Is Dykes another Karim Benzema?  No he's not, and I'm not suggesting he's at that level.  He seems to be doing OK in the English Championship though.  Would he get regular game time if he played in the EPL - I'm not sure, time will tell.  But he's clearly as good as anything we have at a Scottish level to keep him in the frame for international selection.  Good luck to the lad, always pleased to see our ex players do well.

Is Dykes as good as Dobbie?  In some ways no he isn't, but they're different types of players.  Dobbie's ball control and finishing have been unparalleled in my years watching Queens.  Chasing down lost causes, winning headers and harrying defenders was never Dobbie's game.  In his prime, the way Dobbie could control the ball with one touch and dispatch it beyond the keeper with his second was wonderful to watch - I used to think half the reason he scored so many was because he hit the ball early before keepers could set themselves for the shot, whereas other less confident strikers would take that extra touch before shooting.  I've never imagined Dykes to be hitting the net at the rate Dobbie did.

A few years back I did some work down at Aberthaw power station in South Wales and our construction manager was a Swansea City season ticket holder.  He told me that the Swansea fans just adored Dobbie in their Championship days, but the problem was that when they were promoted to the EPL he was just a yard short of pace for the defenders he was up against.  I think that's probably fair comment and probably why he never quite rose to the very top level.  But the skill that man had was just ridiculous and an absolute joy to watch.

In terms of ability, you're closer to Dykes than he is to Dobbie.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

In terms of ability, you're closer to Dykes than he is to Dobbie.

Ha ha ..... easy seen you never saw me attempting to play football ..... 😀

My point (perhaps not well made) is though ..... they're hard to compare because they're so different in terms of what they bring ..... and Dobbie's easily the best I've seen in a Queens shirt, going back to 1971.

38 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Ha ha ..... easy seen you never saw me attempting to play football ..... 😀

My point (perhaps not well made) is though ..... they're hard to compare because they're so different in terms of what they bring ..... and Dobbie's easily the best I've seen in a Queens shirt, going back to 1971.

Your point was perfectly well made. Monkey Tennis is never one to miss an opportunity to have a bash at Dykes though. You opened a door for him. 🙄

Dykes and Dobbie may nominally both be 'forwards' but they arent really any more comparable in abilities than if one were a full back. They both bring vastly different things to a team.

Anyhow, time to up the level of intellectual discourse and rhetoric on this thread ....

We've got Lee Conn-elly

We've got Lee Conn-elly

We've got Lee Conn-elly

We've got Lee Conn-elly

We've got Lee Conn-elly

We've got Lee Conn-elly

We've got Lee Conn-elly

We've got Lee Conn-elly

We've got Lee Conn-elly

We've got Lee Conn-elly

We've got Lee Conn-elly

We've got Lee Conn-elly

We've got Lee Conn-elly

We've got Lee Conn-elly

We've got Lee Conn-elly

We've got Lee Conn-elly

We've got Lee Conn-elly ..... ad infinitum

081021%2046%20Connelly%20hits%20the%20ball%20from%2035%20yards%20out%20and%20puts%20the%20ball%20into%20the%20back%20of%20the%20net.jpg

Get him signed up again Billy!

13 hours ago, JessieField said:

It's amazing to remember that just 4 seasons ago we had in the same squad, Dobbie, Dykes, McFadden, Kane and Rooney available.

Cos we are just so box office ..... probably the highlight of their careers to be fair .....

On 09/10/2021 at 16:44, Rjc-1988 said:

There’s no way he’s going to extend with us when his stock is rising high. Delighted to be wrong though.

Relax .... we'll make him an offer he can't refuse 🙂

I’m not too sure how long they played together for and of course Skyline Drifter is right when he says they have completely different abilities but I wouldn’t be surprised if Dobbie had an impact on Dykes to help him elevate his career to where it is just now with some great advice.

Could be argued that Dykes has already surpassed Dobbie in terms of career achievements, although of course he hasn’t played in the EPL yet.

When approaching the ticket booth in the East Stand on Friday night I was surprised at the lack of adequate lighting along the back of the East Stand,  especially near the booths and turnstiles, and at the Terracing turnstiles also.  I would have thought that for safety and security reasons this would have to be a well lit area. The turnstiles and booths are lit but outside them is not, or was not on Friday night anyway. 

4 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

When approaching the ticket booth in the East Stand on Friday night I was surprised at the lack of adequate lighting along the back of the East Stand,  especially near the booths and turnstiles, and at the Terracing turnstiles also.  I would have thought that for safety and security reasons this would have to be a well lit area. The turnstiles and booths are lit but outside them is not, or was not on Friday night anyway. 

Surprised this hasn't been brought up already, I completely agree, my elderly father actually commented to me about it the other day, saying he felt unsafe leaving the Portland road end on Friday night. Hope it doesn't take someone falling and getting hurt before something is done... 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

4 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

41 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Surprised this hasn't been brought up already, I completely agree, my elderly father actually commented to me about it the other day, saying he felt unsafe leaving the Portland road end on Friday night. Hope it doesn't take someone falling and getting hurt before something is done... 

I'm told the Council have helpfully removed two streetlights in the vicinity in the last year. 

The degree to which that has affected things wasnt really known till Friday as we've not played a dark night game with fans since the 19/20 season. Its been noted to be addressed now. 

14 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm told the Council have helpfully removed two streetlights in the vicinity in the last year. 

The degree to which that has affected things wasnt really known till Friday as we've not played a dark night game with fans since the 19/20 season. Its been noted to be addressed now. 

Surely it's up to the Club as part of having a Safety Certificate to provide adequate lighting around the ground for security, access and egress of supporters, not the Council.  If only we could get a hold of 3 or 4 old floodlights from somewhere to install. Anyway, glad to hear it's being addressed.

18 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Surely it's up to the Club as part of having a Safety Certificate to provide adequate lighting around the ground for security, access and egress of supporters, not the Council.  If only we could get a hold of 3 or 4 old floodlights from somewhere to install. Anyway, glad to hear it's being addressed.

I didn't suggest it was up to the Council.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I didn't suggest it was up to the Council.

I didn't say you did, but you said because the Council had removed two street lights it affected the lighting in that area, which suggests the club were relying on those lights supplying  adequate illumination. I thought the "helpfully" in your post was a sarcastic comment directed at the Council for taking away the lights. Sorry if that's not the case.