The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

I get your point here Flash that our defence is the biggest part of our problems.  That said, defences can also be helped by midfields and forward lines giving the opposition more to think about.  Also, apart from losing by two goals to the Gayfield Galacticos at Palmy recently we haven't really taken any humpings so far this season (tempting bloody fate here I know) - most of our losses have been by a single goal, and often quite late on.

I never said it was the defence that is the problem.

On 26/09/2021 at 17:08, Rjc-1988 said:

I’ve got to agree Manager has become very concerned about the opposition for some apparent reason. I could see the sense if we were playing the Old Firm but every team in this league are almost of equal ability. We started the season playing to win from the off and while we ultimately lost some of the matches we played well and there was a decent feel good factor. That will be completely eradicated if our Management team start over thinking tactics and start doing a “Naysmith”. There are no outstanding teams in this league - we haven’t remotely been outplayed yet and there is no justification for us not trying to win every game with a positive outlook.

The supporters really responded to the team in the early games but this will wane quickly if we start to see isolated lone strikers and wingers spending all their time marking opposing full backs.

Totally agree that Johnston is too fixated with the opposition and ways of stopping them play. We should simply play to our strengths and let the opponents worry about us. Successful sides have a set pattern of play which the players buy into with few, if any, unnecessary changes to the side week in week out.

Edited by mwwqos321

22 hours ago, Flash said:

I never said it was the defence that is the problem.

Sorry if I've misinterpreted your post, but your main themes seemed to be .... "the bigger problem is that we are far too easy to score against" .... and ..... "Would it not be easier if we just defended properly?"  So I've gone and characterised that as "our defence".

3 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Sorry if I've misinterpreted your post, but your main themes seemed to be .... "the bigger problem is that we are far too easy to score against" .... and ..... "Would it not be easier if we just defended properly?"  So I've gone and characterised that as "our defence".

I meant the whole team needs to defend better.

Just to say that lifelong Queens (and AFC Wimbledon) fan and occasional P&B poster KingfaetheSooth (Callum to his pals) passed away on Monday after a two-year long battle with cancer. He was the best man at my wedding, and I was glad to share some great times with him - trips to Copenhagen for the UEFA Cup match against F.C. Nordsjaelland and France to follow Scotland in the 1998 World Cup, and I was at Wembley with him in 1988 when Wimbledon beat Liverpool to lift the F.A. Cup.
Rest in peace my good friend. x

Edited by Frankie S

7 hours ago, Frankie S said:

Just to say that lifelong Queens (and AFC Wimbledon) fan and occasional P&B poster KingfaetheSooth (Callum to his pals) passed away on Monday after a two-year long battle with cancer. He was the best man at my wedding, and I was glad to share some great times with him - trips to Copenhagen for the UEFA Cup match against F.C. Nordsjaelland and France to follow Scotland in the 1998 World Cup, and I was at Wembley with him in 1988 when Wimbledon beat Liverpool to lift the F.A. Cup.

Sorry to hear that. We didnt agree with too much regarding how a football club should run but I always enjoyed our debates. He messaged me a couple of months back when Wimbledon signed Dapo Mebude asking for some info on him but I hadnt a clue he was ill. 

Rest in peace Callum. 💙

9 hours ago, Frankie S said:

Sorry to hear this.

Sorry to hear that.
Rest easy Callum.

Sorry to hear this.

Like many, I suspect, I didnt know him personally but remember his contributions to various forums over the years.

On 29/09/2021 at 00:55, Frankie S said:

Really sad news. 

Puts life into perspective. 

RIP

On 29/09/2021 at 00:55, Frankie S said:

Terrible news, I knew he'd suffered with the big C but never knew it was back and he was facing this.  Sorry for your loss.

Callum was a good guy, passionate about Queens and (AFC) Wimbledon (FC) and he had a strong dislike for all things franchise in football, Livingston, Airdrie United and most of all MK Dons.  We still interacted on occasion Twitter, and I can remember bumping in to him in the departure lounge at Luton Airport on the morning of the Challenge Cup final vs. Brechin.

Rest well, KingfaetheSooth.

3 hours ago, Greenacres said:

It is sad news here's me going about who would get in on.loan today really football means nothing when you hear sad news like that .

RIP

On 27/09/2021 at 11:01, Greenacres said:

Loan signing are the reason why we are still in the Championship without them in Jan we would not have stayed up .

Our squad is fine if a bit young  but we just need to add that bit of quality and experience  a loan signing like Sheilds can bring.

On 26/09/2021 at 19:35, Greenacres said:

Hopefully AJ is trying to sign Sheilds on loan he needs game time something we could give him.

Jack Hamilton at Livi is another who could be available but the dream signing is Sheilds have until Thursday probable end up signing nobody

On 25/09/2021 at 19:35, Greenacres said:

Hopefully this week we can get a  quality loan signing in

On 18/09/2021 at 18:53, Greenacres said:

Very disappointing result against Arbroath .

They had the experience we lack and the star man in Nouble 

We just don't have that player anymore who can change games on his own like a Dobbie or even Sheilds .

Somehow we must get that player or it will be a long season.

AJ seems to think there are goals in the team but we lack quality in the most important part of the pitch. 

On 11/09/2021 at 18:49, Greenacres said:

I think we need a out and out striker as well hopefully can get 1 in on loan.

Is there even the slightest chance you might be happier now?

_94792598_revimjolly.jpg

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Is there even the slightest chance you might be happier now?

_94792598_revimjolly.jpg

Just looked on the OS to see what you were getting at. Innes Cameron looks to be a decent signing, I thought he was still pretty much in the picture at Killie this season so surprised he's here. Will him and Junior make a good front line or will he be paired with someone else I wonder. Looks a decent bit of business by AJ, but he had to do something.