The Queen of the South thread

I've not been particularly critical of our plastic pitch, but even I'm now thinking it's probably not the best idea.

It's not easy to construct a case that says it's had a directly detrimental effect on our home performances and results, but given our record, it's much harder yet to say it's had a positive one.

I often think the idea of the spectacle suffering gets overstated, but again, you'd be pushed to argue that our pitch enhances it.

The reasons for having it, however, are not particularly reliant on either of the above considerations.  

As a community resource, its necessity must have receded recently.  3 of the 4 secondary schools in town now have such a facility, while Queens are themselves in possession of The Arena and King George's.

I remember SD saying on here a while back that the surface's value wasn't so much as a money spinner through being hired, but had more to do with getting matches on in the winter.  

I'm sure nothing will change, but it's maybe time to ask if the pros of the arrangement are outweighing the cons sufficiently to justify it.

Poor performance but still felt we at least deserved 1-1 at the half. Some clear cut chances not put away. Struggled to get anything going creatively and our back four couldn't handle Nouble. Also felt Brynn could have dealt with the first Arbroath goal, be more commanding in that 6-yard box and clear it.

Only gets harder with Caley next.

Poor performance but still felt we at least deserved 1-1 at the half. Some clear cut chances not put away. Struggled to get anything going creatively and our back four couldn't handle Nouble. Also felt Brynn could have dealt with the first Arbroath goal, be more commanding in that 6-yard box and clear it.

Would need to see it again, but Gibson was very sloppy in possession which lead to an unnecessary corner. Few around me thought it could’ve been a foul. We had 2/3 chances in first half need to be taking one.

4 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Would need to see it again, but Gibson was very sloppy in possession which lead to an unnecessary corner. Few around me thought it could’ve been a foul. We had 2/3 chances in first half need to be taking one.

From what I recall he got caught up with Nouble, but felt with the ball going back post the keeper should deal with it.

Och we'll probably beat Caley. The hard game will be trying not to make an arse of ourselves at home to Dunfermline.

41 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Och we'll probably beat Caley. The hard game will be trying not to make an arse of ourselves at home to Dunfermline.

The "good news" if there is any is that the Inverness game is away, given the state of our current home form.

The Dunfermline game has been giving me the fear for a few weeks now .... it was always just a matter of time before they started getting their shit together, so combine that with our stellar home form and it could be a tough watch.

Still, at least the sun is shining this morning .... 😏

12 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I've not been particularly critical of our plastic pitch, but even I'm now thinking it's probably not the best idea.

It's not easy to construct a case that says it's had a directly detrimental effect on our home performances and results, but given our record, it's much harder yet to say it's had a positive one.

I often think the idea of the spectacle suffering gets overstated, but again, you'd be pushed to argue that our pitch enhances it.

The reasons for having it, however, are not particularly reliant on either of the above considerations.  

As a community resource, its necessity must have receded recently.  3 of the 4 secondary schools in town now have such a facility, while Queens are themselves in possession of The Arena and King George's.

I remember SD saying on here a while back that the surface's value wasn't so much as a money spinner through being hired, but had more to do with getting matches on in the winter.  

I'm sure nothing will change, but it's maybe time to ask if the pros of the arrangement are outweighing the cons sufficiently to justify 

Raith Rovers payed that bit extra to get a top quality 4 G pitch it looks and plays like a grass pitch somehow we have to replace our pitch to that standard.

Away from that I don't see it as a step back going part time Arbroath are a good example of a good experienced part time team.

Most of the Arbroath squad are on much the same money as our players but the difference is you can attract the best part time players rather than just pick up young boys in the hope that you might find a decent player .

There seems to be a myth that if you are full time you have better fitness that is not the case nowadays.

20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This is absolute nonsense. 

Re the Rovers pitch, its great and better than many grass surfaces at this level, and easily the best artificial pitch I've seen anyway and miles better than the Starks Park grass pitch.

Although it should be said, the club apparently purchased a rugby pitch by mistake :lol:

13 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm sure nothing will change, but it's maybe time to ask if the pros of the arrangement are outweighing the cons sufficiently to justify it.

Probably not that relevant to us but possibly one of the recommendations from the Deloitte SPFL review will be to propose that they can’t be used in the top division. 

So did QOS going by some of the tackles by Queens players on Nouble.  Especially the rugby tackle round his ankles.

Lol wut? I missed the FK he won just outside our box in the second half so it may be that you're referring to. But other than that I don't recall him receiving any rough treatment.

I don’t profess to know what the technicalities are regarding the specifications of the Raith pitch as opposed to our pitch but what is not in doubt is that our surface looks shiny and very “artificial” unlike the Raith pitch which looks very much like grass. Our pitch leads to the ball bouncing and bobbling all over the place whereas the Raith pitch is smooth and the ball runs true and the bounce factor is pretty insignificant.

If Queens had pitch quality that was equal to Raith I can see the benefits of almost eradicating postponements and avoiding a deterioration in grass quality in the Winter/Spring months. In my opinion though being landed with a really poor quality artificial pitch that we can’t win on is the worst of all worlds - poor spectacle and very few home points.

28 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Lol wut? I missed the FK he won just outside our box in the second half so it may be that you're referring to. But other than that I don't recall him receiving any rough treatment.

Context rugby pitch in quote. Tackles were the holding, shirt pulling - Nouble hauling your player along as his shirt gets 2 feet longer. Yes that tackle you missed. I never said anything about rough treatment.😊

Context rugby pitch in quote. Tackles were the holding, shirt pulling - Nouble hauling your player along as his shirt gets 2 feet longer. Yes that tackle you missed. I never said anything about rough treatment.[emoji4]

In other words, he received treatment that every striker receives, every game, at every single level?