The Queen of the South thread

22 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Barry Maguire did ok without excelling. It's interesting he's nailed down a more regular first team place with Motherwell since in midfield rather than centre back where we generally used him.

Yep, noticed that re Maguire, always interesting to see how the loanees get on when they return to their parent clubs and sometimes takes time and the right mix of circumstances for young players to find their best positions in a side.

44 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Have always said our loan signings will be crucial on us having a good or bad season. 

Hopefully we have more loan signing still to arrive as so far we don't have the quality we need. 

How many domestic loans can we have ?

Allowed a maximum of five loans from Scottish clubs. Maximum of three from one club in a different division and one from a club in the same division.

10 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Presumably that’s a change from last season when we had 4 players on loan from Rangers.

Aye, you were allowed 4 from one club in a different division last season. The Rules say they only apply for 21/22, so it might change again next season.

On 03/09/2021 at 10:21, Otis Blue said:

Yep, noticed that re Maguire, always interesting to see how the loanees get on when they return to their parent clubs and sometimes takes time and the right mix of circumstances for young players to find their best positions in a side.

With Maguire the story goes that he was brought into the club/academy as a midfielder but as he progressed he was moved to centre back and now he's back to midfield. I've a feeling his appearance at CB in the 1-5 loss to St Johnstone at Fir Park back in our 2 cup finals season confirmed it for Robinson that Maguire isn't a centre half.

It feels like this is a big season for Maguire in terms of what he goes on to be.

Very interested to hear how things work out for Johnston with Queens. I know all young loanees tend to have a "highly rated" tag but we legitimately seem to have high hopes for Johnston. He's signed up to 2023 now and has been around the first team since he was 16. With the whole pandemic thing we've not seen a lot of him and I'd imagine with the Reserve league having been binned over the past while he'll have missed a lot of his development football.

Right now he's a name we've heard but we've seen little of given his 2 appearances last season were behind closed doors and his first start was in an absolute shitshow of a team. I get the impression that had our LC group performances been a bit more comfortable we'd have seen him in those games. 

Thanks for the background C Oats, good to know. Hope it works out for Maguire.

Will be interesting to see what AJ's boy brings. If his spell with us is similar to that of Sandy Clark's boy Nicky with us then that will do just fine. That said I think we initially played NC out on the wing and it didn't really work. The season after we played him up top and he destroyed an albeit fairly poor third tier. All about finding the right slot. Cheers.

52 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Thanks for the background C Oats, good to know. Hope it works out for Maguire.

Will be interesting to see what AJ's boy brings. If his spell with us is similar to that of Sandy Clark's boy Nicky with us then that will do just fine. That said I think we initially played NC out on the wing and it didn't really work. The season after we played him up top and he destroyed an albeit fairly poor third tier. All about finding the right slot. Cheers.

I don't recall Gus playing Nicky on the wing but he did play him in a more midfield role rather than an out an out striker. Max was very good today, particularly first half, but then with the greatest of respect, it was Broomhill we were playing. We and he will have bigger tests ahead. Quite enjoyed the game but it was never close to being a contest from the first few minutes once we scored the penalty. I can't recall BSC forcing a save of note from our keeper. Possibly should have won by more but in these ties all about just getting through and not picking up any daft injuries.

I don't recall Gus playing Nicky on the wing but he did play him in a more midfield role rather than an out an out striker. Max was very good today, particularly first half, but then with the greatest of respect, it was Broomhill we were playing. We and he will have bigger tests ahead. Quite enjoyed the game but it was never close to being a contest from the first few minutes once we scored the penalty. I can't recall BSC forcing a save of note from our keeper. Possibly should have won by more but in these ties all about just getting through and not picking up any daft injuries.

It actually resembled last night a fair bit. We were always in control, but were going through motions after a good start. Thought most done fine without excelling, broomhill done okay tbf. Would have liked some minutes in Cooper and chima but must be too soon in there recovery. Still think we’re short of a striker. But squad looked decent enough today too.

4 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

It actually resembled last night a fair bit. We were always in control, but were going through motions after a good start. Thought most done fine without excelling, broomhill done okay tbf.

Said that during the game. It was 1-0 with a constant feeling it was far more likely to be 3 or 4 than ever to be 1-1. Very like last night's Scotland game. I know as long as it's 1-0 there's always that nagging doubt that a set piece or something gets you in trouble but not once in the time after we went 1-0 up did they ever look like they were going to score. We could have scored more with a wee bit more killer instinct but were never remotely troubled in the game.

It's hard to say much about Broomhill. They worked hard, threw themselves in front of things, never gave up, Findlay Gray was an annoying pest in a good way but they never remotely had the quality to unlock a chance.

Actually came away from the game a bit disappointed. Can’t fault any of the players but felt we were very slow through midfield. I thought Junior Soares had a good game today keeping possession well. 
when we played Airdrie we played one touch passes and neat triangles to open up the defence. The midfield today seemed happy to hold onto the ball taking a number of touches before often playing across the park or backwards. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Today reminded me of the season we coasted L1 and the stupidity among our support. 2-0 up and there were folk giving the players pelters for not booting the ball up the park.

Absolutely agree. To the best of my recollections we didn’t boot the ball up the park.  We just played a faster crisper passing game. 

Today reminded me of the season we coasted L1 and the stupidity among our support. 2-0 up and there were folk giving the players pelters for not booting the ball up the park.

To be honest I can understand a support being frustrated by us making really heavy weather of beating a team who were clearly a good few levels below us. My particular frustrations in the first half were around two players who I rate in Todd who looked like he had lead boots on and Cochrane who was hugely careless in possession. That said we never looked like losing and as such it’s job done. It wasn’t impressive though.

To be honest I can understand a support being frustrated by us making really heavy weather of beating a team who were clearly a good few levels below us. My particular frustrations in the first half were around two players who I rate in Todd who looked like he had lead boots on and Cochrane who was hugely careless in possession. That said we never looked like losing and as such it’s job done. It wasn’t impressive though.

I've no issue with folk wanting a bit of urgency in our play and I thought they did up the tempo at the beginning of the second half. I just can't get my head around these people who think it's better to boot the ball all the way up the park rather than hold on to the ball. I imagine these people are absolutely over the moon every time we stupidly boot the ball long from our own kick off whereas it drives me nuts.

Yesterday wasn't pretty but it was a professional performance that got the job done with no fresh injury concerns. I'll take that every day of the week over a performance where our players knock their pans in and potentially injure themselves. There wasn't much need for them to break sweat so I was happy (although very bored) with how it went.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I've no issue with folk wanting a bit of urgency in our play and I thought they did up the tempo at the beginning of the second half. I just can't get my head around these people who think it's better to boot the ball all the way up the park rather than hold on to the ball. I imagine these people are absolutely over the moon every time we stupidly boot the ball long from our own kick off whereas it drives me nuts.

You should maybe have a word with the manager and players about this tactic at kick offs as it seems to be the preferred option. It boils my piss too. Last week V Hamilton we kicked off at the start of the second half, ball booted long into touch, from the resultant Hamilton throw-in, a couple of passes and we're a goal down. Then we do exactly the same from the restart giving away possession again. At least yesterday on the one time we kicked off we played a few passes and kept possession. 

On a completely separate issue, how were the Broomhill subs allowed to sit in the dugout but Queens subs were in the stand? Do we not have a Covid Officer to ensure protocols are being followed or is it up to the individual Club to make the choice?

You should maybe have a word with the manager and players about this tactic at kick offs as it seems to be the preferred option. It boils my piss too. Last week V Hamilton we kicked off at the start of the second half, ball booted long into touch, from the resultant Hamilton throw-in, a couple of passes and we're a goal down. Then we do exactly the same from the restart giving away possession again.

Safe to say you don't sit near me at the football or you'd have heard me blowing my top at that point last week. Totally agree with what you say and it's what I said to my pal after screaming "we just lost a fucking goal after doing that two minutes ago!" [emoji38]